Opeka taketh, but still doesn't giveth 8-20-20

Lake Opeka at Lake Park - Des Plaines, IL
General fishing information

Opeka taketh, but still doesn't giveth 8-20-20

Postby cyanatic » Aug Thu 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Not much of a report. Opeka still apparently sucks. I had to go into my workplace last week (I've been working from home since mid-March due to COVID) to help train somebody. Opeka is right across the street so I threw my fishing gear in the car and thought I'd give it a try after work. Not like I had to go very far.

Got there about 5:30. I only saw one other fisherman, which used to be unusual on a summer afternoon, but I guess most people feel this lake doesn't produce like it used to. The large fishing station that juts out north of the Willow tree was empty and that's usually the first place people used to set up at. Tried a wacky rig, a Biffle-bug (bottom seems good for those at Opeka), and a Ned rig. The only thing I caught was a snag in the rocks and I lost the Ned rig. I forgot how bad the inshore rocks can be on tackle at Opeka.

I still don't know what happened to this lake but it's so desolate most people don't appear to even try to fish it anymore. In short, don't waste your time. If anybody catches anything there I'd like to hear about it.

ImageOpeka Lake 8-20-2020 by Steve, on Flickr
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Re: Opeka taketh, but still doesn't giveth 8-20-20

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Thu 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Almost sounds like a challenge.... I was planning on getting out on Big Bend Lake this September. Maybe I'll hit Opeka instead. I think its been 3years since I hit opeka and even longer since I've been on big bend.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby oldsalt » Aug Thu 27, 2020 7:44 pm

No fish in Big Bend
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby Brett » Aug Thu 27, 2020 8:33 pm

I caught a dink from boat earlier this summer. Mid day on a drop shot. Marshall arts has yielded nada. The puddle slumbers.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Fri 28, 2020 8:03 am

oldsalt wrote:No fish in Big Bend

That is not true. But it is definitely a popular statement. Go after ice out, or in the fall and you will find some bites. I'll agree its a very tough lake. But it recieves annual stockings every year when the Des Plaines floods into it :wink:
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby minstrel » Aug Fri 28, 2020 11:51 am

It's really a shame about Opeka, I caught tons of bass there including a probable standing PB! But yeah I wouldn't and haven't fished it of late. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the psycho weedkill they performed years ago that nuked every living weed in the lake. :roll:
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby oldsalt » Aug Fri 28, 2020 12:50 pm

Aux you set the hook and missed it
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Aug Fri 28, 2020 5:27 pm

Never fished Opeka. Probaby never will.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brandon » Sep Fri 04, 2020 5:22 pm

I fished Opeka roughly 3-4 times a week from 2012-2017. I work very close so it was easy to get there frequently. Caught a bass nearly every time there and plenty of 3-5 lb bass each year. Some excellent channel cat action as well. These last couple years it’s been trash. All the regulars there will tell you the same story. Between weed kills and killer algae breakouts and god knows what else. It used to be a very clear lake. Nowadays the water is fuzzy with very little visibility even if it hasn’t rained in weeks.

Interestingly though, I stopped by yesterday just to survey the scene as I still do every couple months. Lo and behold there it was, the long lost Opeka pike cruising the shore. Lol. Been probably 10 years since I’d even seen a picture of one. I’m guessing it might’ve been from a stocking as it was probably 8 inches and roaming around with a lot of fingerling bass.
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Lake Opeka