Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Opeka taketh, but still doesn't giveth 8-20-20

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Brandon 
#1 ·
Not much of a report. Opeka still apparently sucks. I had to go into my workplace last week (I've been working from home since mid-March due to COVID) to help train somebody. Opeka is right across the street so I threw my fishing gear in the car and thought I'd give it a try after work. Not like I had to go very far.

Got there about 5:30. I only saw one other fisherman, which used to be unusual on a summer afternoon, but I guess most people feel this lake doesn't produce like it used to. The large fishing station that juts out north of the Willow tree was empty and that's usually the first place people used to set up at. Tried a wacky rig, a Biffle-bug (bottom seems good for those at Opeka), and a Ned rig. The only thing I caught was a snag in the rocks and I lost the Ned rig. I forgot how bad the inshore rocks can be on tackle at Opeka.

I still don't know what happened to this lake but it's so desolate most people don't appear to even try to fish it anymore. In short, don't waste your time. If anybody catches anything there I'd like to hear about it.

Opeka Lake 8-20-2020 by Steve, on Flickr

See less See more
#6 ·
It's really a shame about Opeka, I caught tons of bass there including a probable standing PB! But yeah I wouldn't and haven't fished it of late. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the psycho weedkill they performed years ago that nuked every living weed in the lake. :roll:

#9 ·
I fished Opeka roughly 3-4 times a week from 2012-2017. I work very close so it was easy to get there frequently. Caught a bass nearly every time there and plenty of 3-5 lb bass each year. Some excellent channel cat action as well. These last couple years it's been trash. All the regulars there will tell you the same story. Between weed kills and killer algae breakouts and god knows what else. It used to be a very clear lake. Nowadays the water is fuzzy with very little visibility even if it hasn't rained in weeks.

Interestingly though, I stopped by yesterday just to survey the scene as I still do every couple months. Lo and behold there it was, the long lost Opeka pike cruising the shore. Lol. Been probably 10 years since I'd even seen a picture of one. I'm guessing it might've been from a stocking as it was probably 8 inches and roaming around with a lot of fingerling bass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.