7/17 Lake Opeka Fishing Report

Lake Opeka at Lake Park - Des Plaines, IL
General fishing information

7/17 Lake Opeka Fishing Report

Postby Topwater » Jul Mon 17, 2006 3:13 pm

Shore, HOT, 10:30-11:30am, west winds mild, sunny. White 3/16 spinner and various senkos. Skenkoed.
Topwater
Fishing Czar

Postby BravesFan » Jul Mon 17, 2006 3:41 pm

Who cares about Skenkoed when you can officially claim, by going out again tomorrow, to have fished the same body of water for 14 consecutive days! :shock: :D Seriously, I'm really impressed by your dedication, Topwater :) Hope you land some 5lb + bass from Opeka in the future; you certainly would deserve it :wink:

Good luck tomorrow!
BravesFan
Game Fish

Postby TSevs » Jul Mon 17, 2006 4:05 pm

wow 2weeks of straight fishing thats awesome i wish i had the time great job i bet you do well tommorrow can't wait to read the report keep them coming
TSevs
Pan Fish

Postby Topwater » Jul Mon 17, 2006 6:01 pm

Yeah, I've had a lot of time to get over there, plus its literally a few blocks away and actually has fish in it! Keeping a record of skunks as well as catches helps me to analyze what works for me and doesn't. If I kept jumping lakes, I'd have to keep a log of each and wouldn't get to know any of them and thus would seriously decrease my chances of having a good time catching fish. Besides, I'd rather fish an hour a day, everyday than six hours once a week. More ops for good fish. So really, I'm just using this rather than my own computer to track success and failure. Hope it helps others!
Topwater
Fishing Czar

Postby BravesFan » Jul Mon 17, 2006 6:12 pm

Topwater wrote:Besides, I'd rather fish an hour a day, everyday than six hours once a week.

I couldn't agree more!

Topwater wrote:Hope it helps others!

Definitely does, thanks :) Even though I don't fish Lake Opeka, I think your reports from there are at least partially applicable to most other bodies of water in our area and therefore help the rest of us become better fisherman too :)
BravesFan
Game Fish

Postby TSevs » Jul Mon 17, 2006 6:23 pm

i wish i lived as close to a lake as you do topwater and fishing a couple hours a day rather than six on one day would awesome
i feel i have learned from your reportes so please keep them coming
maybe i'll see over there one day bc i have been trying to plan a day with my cuz who lives near opeka to spend a day on the water
TSevs
Pan Fish

Postby Topwater » Jul Mon 17, 2006 6:52 pm

If you're in a boat some spots are the south end off the 11th tee (there's a very nice weed bed and drop off there!), west side off the 13th tee and don't underestimate the west shoreline just south of the bay on the north, I've gotten a few big dogs there!
Topwater
Fishing Czar

Postby TSevs » Jul Mon 17, 2006 7:15 pm

Thanks for the tips topwater i'll have check it out sometime soon i read alot of good reports from you i trust you know what your talking about alot of time spent on the lake thanks again i'll let you know when i go maybe we can meet up or something
TSevs
Pan Fish

Postby Topwater » Jul Mon 17, 2006 7:42 pm

that would be cool!
Topwater
Fishing Czar

Postby Topwater » Jul Mon 17, 2006 10:02 pm

PM Report: shore, still HOT, tried it all, topwaters, 3/16 white spinner, tournament frog, senkos. Only one 10" smallie to show for an 8-9pm outing. Yes, a smallie in Opeka. I've thought I've caught a few before there but have been told there are none in there. But this was clearly a smallie or something that looks a lot like a bass, but isn't. Had the bassy mouth, one dorsal fin and a greenish gold hue to it (it was dark so my colors may have been a little off). I very nearly took its eye out, but hopefully it will be fine.
Topwater
Fishing Czar

Return to Lake Opeka