HI-HO SILVER!

The "Big Pond" is loaded with salmon, trout, perch, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, carp and more.

HI-HO SILVER!

Postby bobberwatcher » Jul Mon 22, 2019 5:53 pm

Finally caught a steelhead, after 4 years of trying! Only went out a couple times during each summer run so not too horrible I guess. Glad I didn't catch it on a fluke the first time out, took alot of trial and error and cost me a small fortune in gas, out of state licenses and shrimp bait, these fish eat better than I do! Got out to Portage at 5am and the lake was rockin and rollin. Fished half an hour till I got hit by a tsunami of a wave so headed for trail creek, my nemesis. Fished the mouth of the creek, 10 ft down and while I was fiddling with my perch line, glanced over to find no bobber! Grabbed the rod and it was on! So tempted to tighten the drag and reel in as fast as possible but knew it would break off so with hands and legs shaking, I let the fish do it's thing. It jumped like a rainbow trout on steroids and peeled line like crazy. Of course, my net was about 4 ft away but managed to get it and somehow not loose the fish!
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Re: HI-HO SILVER!

Postby bobberwatcher » Jul Mon 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Been trying to upload an attatchment (pic), message says the file is too large. I knew it was a big fish but jeesh! Will post when I figure out another way.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Mon 22, 2019 10:53 pm

Nicely done. I know the feeling you're talking about when you say you want to horse them in but your trout knowledge tells you otherwise. I've lost some big browns acting like a bass pro on LM.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jul Tue 23, 2019 2:22 am

Well done Bobber. Got to be satisfying to finally catch one after 4yrs. Don’t feel bad I’ve been fishing hard for a 6lb smallie and 7+lb bass for 32yrs 3days and 6hrs ;) If the photo is on your phone just download the free image ReSIZER app. Super easy to use. Also sometimes just cropping off some of the superfluous portions of you photo will do the job. If all else fails, email me the pic and I’ll resize it and email it back [email protected]

Pic of the ReSIZER app logo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jul Tue 23, 2019 5:28 am

4 years is a long time. That line “fish eat better than you” is hilarious.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Jul Tue 23, 2019 7:21 am

Thanks guys!
Aux, funny how its easy to be patient standing for hours cast after cast but that goes out the window when there's one on the line
Hfrog, thanks for the info, gonna try to crop it
Jtrain, it is and they do!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bobberwatcher » Jul Tue 23, 2019 7:28 am

Well, that was easy! Thought of trying that yesterday but thought file size and actual size of the pic werent the same. DUH! Your countdown to catching the big ones is great! Any day now I'd say :D
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Phil6 » Jul Tue 23, 2019 8:02 am

Nice Work!! a lake michagan "steelie" is high on my list as well
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Wed 24, 2019 6:54 am

VERY cool fish. Nice job not giving up
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Jul Wed 24, 2019 9:34 am

Thanks, it was a blast to catch!
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bobberwatcher » Aug Sun 18, 2019 6:21 pm

20190818_180405.jpg
Update- so I always said that when I catch one of these, large or small, it's going on my wall. Within 2 hours of being caught, it was with the taxman, actually a super nice lady, June, owner of All Game Southerland's Taxidermy in Palos Hills (I'm not affiliated, just impressed) Her garage is full of animals that she has preserved, from a tiny bat to a 30 ft python- and lions and tigers and bears, oh my! Check it out if you ever want to save that special catch or just to see her cool display. First, a pic of my fish, then some of her other work.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bobberwatcher » Aug Sun 18, 2019 6:27 pm

20190722_133025.jpg
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Aug Mon 19, 2019 4:17 am

Nice mount. I think that might be the first salmon that I have seen mounted. Usually bass, walleye,etc.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Aug Mon 19, 2019 9:46 am

nice job. replicas are for hippies. the real thing looks amazing and much more meaningful.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Aug Mon 19, 2019 10:03 am

Nice chrome!
urbanHog312 wrote:nice job. replicas are for hippies. the real thing looks amazing and much more meaningful.

+ 1.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Aug Mon 19, 2019 10:50 am

bobberwatcher wrote:It jumped like a rainbow trout on steroids

Great post. Of course, as you know Steelheads are genetically the same as Rainbows the major difference being where they spend their lives.

One of the greatest thrills I've had fishing was catching this one on a charter out of Pentwater. Thought my arm would fall off.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Aug Mon 19, 2019 11:28 am

Rambler, DAAAAAAANG,that fish is almost your height! Where's pentwater?
Urbanhog, I learned from the taxlady that replicas are actually more expensive than the real thing. I can't imagine why anyone would even want one.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby McChou » Aug Mon 19, 2019 11:47 am

Congrats on connecting on a hard earned Steelhead bobberwatcher!

To play devil's advocate here (not knocking skin mount fish, I have one, but for discussion sake - and you asked):
with a replica , there is an option to release the fish...
or eat it.
Skin mounts may not age as gracefully as replica's. Salmonoids, and many salt water fish may deteriorate more quickly and start 'leaking' their natural oils over time.
Skin mounts can be more fragile

I digress, way to stick with it and get your target species! I encourage you to try for a king this fall on the lakefront ... make sure your drag is well oiled.
McChou
Pan Fish

Postby Lip_Yanker » Aug Mon 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Congrats! Nice feeesh.

I've only seen one other trout mounted for display that my Uncle caught 40 some years ago, that one was about the size of what Rambler posted a picture of.
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Peter Piper » Aug Mon 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Looks cool, you got the cash!
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » Aug Mon 19, 2019 7:24 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:nice job. replicas are for hippies. the real thing looks amazing and much more meaningful.

We don't disagree on much but I see absolutely no reason to kill a monster bass/walleye/musky/pike/etc. A fish that has beaten the unfathomable odds to reach monster status should be left to let her DNA live on. I'm far from a hippie, as you well know but I'll personally never skin mount a LM or SM, unless for some odd reason she's killed during the catch, which does happen. As for looks, early repos look terrible but there are several outfits that do fantastic work. Theres one in Tennessee that does museum quality work at a reasonable price. Pretty sure I remember they do a lot of work for the BPS stores
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby bobberwatcher » Aug Mon 19, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks guys! I guys there are pros and cons to both types of mounts but I personally would want the exact one I caught.
Mcchou, catching a king is and has been on the agenda.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bobberwatcher » Aug Mon 19, 2019 8:48 pm

Meant to say I guess.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bobberwatcher » Aug Mon 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Ps- the most recent Indiana DNR lake michigan report is encouraging people to keep the steelhead they catch. I believe they said they don't release well, so I don't feel so bad about keeping this one (not that I would've anyhow :D )
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Aug Tue 20, 2019 7:01 am

bobberwatcher wrote:Where's pentwater?

North of Muskegon on the MI side of Lake MI. Really nice place. For the record, the fish was eaten. Yummy!
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Tue 20, 2019 2:33 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:Ps- the most recent Indiana DNR lake michigan report is encouraging people to keep the steelhead they catch. I believe they said they don't release well, so I don't feel so bad about keeping this one (not that I would've anyhow :D )

Those salmonoids are 'put and take'. Theres little to no reproduction happening, especially in SE Wis, IL, and Indiana. Catch one, you should keep it. Doesn't hurt anything.

I'll second what others have said, real fish mounts look like crap down the road. But also, a lot of replicas look too fake.

Any chance you want to share what it cost you?
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby bobberwatcher » Aug Tue 20, 2019 2:58 pm

$224
bobberwatcher
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Aug Tue 20, 2019 4:43 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:

We don't disagree on much but I see absolutely no reason to kill a monster bass/walleye/musky/pike/etc. A fish that has beaten the unfathomable odds to reach monster status should be left to let her DNA live on. I'm far from a hippie, as you well know but I'll personally never skin mount a LM or SM, unless for some odd reason she's killed during the catch, which does happen. As for looks, early repos look terrible but there are several outfits that do fantastic work. Theres one in Tennessee that does museum quality work at a reasonable price. Pretty sure I remember they do a lot of work for the BPS stores

I'm with you on this. I have no desire to keep a monster fish just to mount it on the wall. When I catch monsters, they get a length and girth measurement, a few pics, and then they go back in the water. I'll get replicas made if I want them. Otherwise I have pictures.

Great looking steelie mount! We used the same place to do my Dad's 17 inch crappie out of Heidecke a few years back, and it turned out amazing. They do really good work there, and the price was solid. I think it was like $110 to do the crappie.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Tue 20, 2019 4:52 pm

bobberwatcher wrote:$224

That's a great price, very reasonable.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby HEDDONFROG » Aug Thu 22, 2019 12:14 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:
bobberwatcher wrote:Ps- the most recent Indiana DNR lake michigan report is encouraging people to keep the steelhead they catch. I believe they said they don't release well, so I don't feel so bad about keeping this one (not that I would've anyhow :D )

Those salmonoids are 'put and take'. Theres little to no reproduction happening, especially in SE Wis, IL, and Indiana. Catch one, you should keep it. Doesn't hurt anything.

I'll second what others have said, real fish mounts look like crap down the road. But also, a lot of replicas look too fake.

Any chance you want to share what it cost you?

I totally agree with you about salmonoids, that’s why I didn’t mention them in my list of commonly kept and mounted fish. I mounted this 16.09 Coho. Captain said the chances I would ever come close to it was slim to none and slim left town. Later, I’ll post a link to a couple of replica taxidermy companies that does superb work. One of them did my sons big Wahoo in the photo. I bet Pat is familiar with that company. A friend of the family did my dads skin mounts. He was a museum curator at the Quad Cities natural history museum. They still look pretty amazing after 40yrs or so. He also did moms 2lb bluegill
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Thu 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Them's some nice fish Dave.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Aug Thu 22, 2019 1:45 pm

killer spread dave. but wth do you need a mattress for? you dont f*** sleep!!
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Lake Michigan