Montrose Harbor fishing

The "Big Pond" is loaded with salmon, trout, perch, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, carp and more.

Montrose Harbor fishing

Postby uptownss » Jan Thu 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Hi all, new to the forum. I live within walking distance of Montrose Harbor and was curious if it is worth it to go fishing out there this time of year. I've got a spinner rod and some assorted lures, but relatively low experience. I think I know where to cast from walking around and seeing others out there, but unsure if this time of year is'worth it' to go fishing.

Any help appreciated!
uptownss

Re: Montrose Harbor fishing

Postby Rambler » Jan Thu 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Welcome! Haven't fished Montrose in a few years & doubt I've ever fished it in the winter.

But I suspect if you go with small lures you've got a good chance at perch. Good luck!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby uptownss » Jan Thu 07, 2021 7:13 pm

Thanks, appreciate the suggestion!
uptownss

Postby RonG » Jan Thu 07, 2021 11:37 pm

Yes, fish near the bottom with minnows or larva and you should get some perch. Keep moving if you are not getting anything. You might pick up a trout or two on a lucky day.

uptownss wrote:I've got a spinner rod and some assorted lures

I was referring to ice fishing. It might be frozen up or at least glazed over now. Outside the harbor would be tough.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby uptownss » Jan Fri 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Thanks, appreciate the suggestion! As of a couple days ago it was not yet iced over, so I may give it a go.
uptownss

Postby joetrain » Jan Fri 08, 2021 1:53 pm

Inside Belmont harbor is worth a try too.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jan Fri 08, 2021 2:49 pm

:shh: I personally would be trying Belmont over Montrose if I was down there. :shh:

A crappie rig with minnows is a great choice.

RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Jan Fri 08, 2021 5:51 pm

Considering you said you don't have a lot of gear, try a 1/16 oz jig. Either a 1" twister or a hair jig might work.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby uptownss » Jan Sun 10, 2021 9:17 am

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of belmont harbor until you mentioned it. I may get on my bike and check that out in the future.

No crappie rig in my box but look easy to set up. That said I'm not sure the bait shop at Montrose is open right now for minnows? I'll have to look into that.

I went yesterday for a few hours and was skunked but not discouraged. Talked to people on the way in and out and nobody got anything. Live bait may be the right move next time. I was just trying to avoid a trip to buy anything.
uptownss

Postby Ksum » Jan Sun 10, 2021 2:20 pm

I caught my biggest brown trout on a 1/64 ounce jig and a baby minnow (shiner). Right off the rock and wall laying on an edge where the two met. Diversey harbor when you could buy a pass from Henrys was always interesting for me .. caught large crappies , perch and a big Northern..all while perch fishing. Hint:... Fish aren't always relating to bottom but were relating to weeds. I knew I was on to something when I would run into the Pan-Man from outdoor notebook fishing the same spots. Really liked that Man..a true fishing machine and a hoot to talk about the lake. I have since moved far enough away that I do not venture much east of route 59.. Good luck stay at it and one day you will be rewarded with fish..P.S. Stop for minnows~ 8)
Ksum
Minnow

Return to Lake Michigan