affect of higher LM water levels on shore fishing?

The "Big Pond" is loaded with salmon, trout, perch, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, carp and more.

affect of higher LM water levels on shore fishing?

Postby DasGoby » Aug Wed 14, 2019 1:06 pm

I've been seeing a lot in the news about higher water levels on LM lately. It is really interesting in that it was only 6-7 years ago that people were panicking about record low levels and saying that further drops would be the new normal.

In any case, I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on how this is affecting shore fishing. I've always thought while living in Chicagoland during lower water level years that some of the secondary locations people fish at on the Northside, Evanston, Winnetka would really benefit from higher water levels. Even fishing at Navy Pier would potentially benefit. Anyone have any experiences to share on this topic?
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: affect of higher LM water levels on shore fishing?

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Wed 14, 2019 3:59 pm

Its already gone back down quite a bit. 1-2months ago all the seawalls were submerged at Waukegan. The coast guards dock was submerged. Still higher than last season that's for sure. Also have heard a lot of reports of "Qualified Captains" around the Chicago harbors running boats onto submerged jettys with a few deaths along the way.

As for the fishing, wish I could help, but I mostly fish the lake during the colder months and in spring it was nice and low.

I imagine the smaller tribs might have a better chance at a fall run of salmonoids. Waukegan River, Pike River, and Oak Creek. The latter two usually have a sandbar blocking the confluence at low water.

IMG_20190814_49919.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Lake Michigan