Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Michigan City Fishing

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  cmarx381 
#1 ·
Thinking of going for some steelhead next week in Michigan City. I found a parking spot on google maps but not sure it's entirely ok to use. Also not sure what parts of the city are "good" or "bad". Any pointers would be great so I can have piece of mind while fishing new waters.

#2 ·
You might have better luck with coho but there may be some winter steelhead. As for location, the public access spot on 20 is popular, probably the one that you were referring to on google maps. To the right, it's private property (posted) but its fished. To the left, you'll find a nice hole just before the bridge. There's also Washington park. I'd stay off of the pier, not safe in this weather but farther down by the coast guard or dnr building, you can practically fish from your car. Downtown looks a bit sketchy but I've never had any problems while fishing. Check out Tony's baitshop- great resource. Good luck!

#5 ·
Safety in numbers. Take a buddy with you. Shoot I stayed in Miller Beach one year for Thanksgiving and my cousins and I went to 18th Street Brewery in Gary then to some dive bar down the street and smoked cigs inside all after sunset in Gary, got pics to prove it lol. Crazy times but felt safe with numbers. Or maybe we all would have just gotten robbed :roll:

#6 ·
I was born and raised in northwest Indiana and even though I never went to Michigan City till I started fishing about 5 years ago, I know its nothing like miller beach or Gary. I wouldn't fish in either of those places no matter what, but you're right, there's safety in numbers. Also, it doesn't matter as much where you are as what you're doing there. If you're looking for trouble, you'll find it, if you're looking for fish, you'll find others doing the same who pretty much mind their own bussiness.

#12 ·
We got out last night, beautiful, not so crowded as you would have any trouble keeping distance. Not sure what the water clarity is normally like in harbors there but visibility looked to be about 4 ft, otherwise conditions seemed good. Between 530-730pm we tried crawlers, shrimp, blade baits, reef runners, and castmasters. Nada. About 3 fish were landed while we were there, all on spawn if I'm not mistaken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.