Good insulated boots for ice fishing?

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Good insulated boots for ice fishing?

Postby Macey » Oct Tue 15, 2019 7:23 am

What are some good insulated waterproof boots that has worked good for you guys when icefishing? Especially when you encounter slush sometimes that soaks the boot. I have rockys with goretex liner but my feet always got soaked. Would like to use it for regular winter boots as well. I found some at this site url. Thanks a lot.
Macey

Re: Good insulated boots for ice fishing?

Postby joetrain » Oct Tue 15, 2019 7:28 am

I bought “ The Inferno” boots from Cabelas. The name is what sold me but after using them they are great. I’m not sure if they still sell them but it’s worth a look.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Oct Tue 15, 2019 8:23 am

Kamik Or Baffin, look up those two brands and it should put you on the right track. I would recommend you go with an insulated muck/rubber boot style, with an insulated felt liner. Dont forget when trying on boots make sure they dont fit totally snug, you need room for thick socks and an insulating air gap; tight boots restrict blood flow.

I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Oct Tue 15, 2019 10:15 am

I don't ice fish but I've done plenty of tromping around in the woods in winter in deep snow. I've had a pair of Sorel knock-offs for years. Leather on top, bubber below. Removable felt linings. They've always kept my feet warm & dry. Real Sorels are probably better.

Not good for use as 'regular' winter boots. On the other hand, this is a situation where one size doesn't fit all. When I go out to shovel the snow I wear an old pair of Milo mountain boots. They don't make them anymore which is a shame.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Oct Tue 15, 2019 10:24 am

Also want to point out, youre never going to find a good boot for ice fishing and regular winter wear. Ice fishing beats the hell out of boots and any boot that will keep you dry and warm for 4 hours in 6inches of slush isnt going to "look great". Sorel has some leather offerings but they will eventually lose their waterproofing, synthetics with coatings all eventually fail, thats why I recommend all rubber or rubber + neoprene
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Tue 15, 2019 10:25 am

Waterproof is the key! Boots with out laces are nice, like the boa closure system. Kind of like a wire lacing system you would find on ski-boots.

As far as insulation, no need for 1000gram insulation, that's total overkill.

I recommend the 'Cabelas Snow Runners' on the low price end.

I recommend the 'Under Armour Men's Brow Tine 2.0-800g Ankle Boot' on the higher price point.

Both worked great for ice fishing and stepping in deep ice cold puddles while working outside all winter long. Spent more than I liked on the under armour, but they seem like they will last a while.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby DasGoby » Oct Tue 15, 2019 1:59 pm

I agree on rubber or rubber + neoprene. Goby Jr. uses Bogs 3 to 4 seasons including always ice fishing outside with them.

I know others will disagree but I'm not in favor of spending too much or sacrificing too much comfort for boot warmth. I think with a good sock system and occasional hand/foot warms in the boot on really cold days, that any boot that will keep you dry will keep your feet warm.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Oct Sun 20, 2019 1:16 pm

I don't ice fish, so my 2 cents worth are for the more general winter boot/ fishing.
I have a pair of Bogs slip on muck boots. They have some insulation but not too much, which works for me. They are calf height/just below the knew. I use them 3 seasons fishing, sometimes even in the summer when we are dealing with high water/flood conditions. Definitely work well in mud. Use them all the time for snow shoveling/travel to work, just add thick wool socks. My car sits outside so they are nice and warm while scrapping off ice and snow. Easy to drive in. Slip them off in the office and don a pair of acceptable work shoes which stay under my desk.

I also have a pair of Sorel's with the felt liner/rubber "shoe" section. Much warmer. Great for use when standing around. My feet will sweat in them when walking too far.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby catchafew » Oct Wed 23, 2019 3:29 pm

I live, hunt and ice fish in Northern WI and the UP. The boots below (Cabela's Predator™ Extreme Pac Boots) are NOT meant for long hiking expeditions but I'm very pleased with them after hours on the ice and in a deer blind. Go to a store, try them on with one pair of wool socks, you'll likely need to buy them one size up. The felt inserts really help and the toes have a pocket for chemical toe heating packets but I've never used warmers yet with these boots.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Ice Fishing