Flasher vs lcd

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Flasher vs lcd

Postby DjGruv » Jan Sun 01, 2017 5:46 pm

Sup guys. I'm new to the ice fishing game but the 1 time I have done it in really had a good time. I started to build up the Arsenal and am now looking at fish finders. I know most hard water guys like flashers (vex,marcum,humms.). I also know the new breed push the lcd fish finders such as the Lorance Hook 5 ice machine. Just want to here what you guys think. Been doing a lot of research on them since they aren't that cheap. Also has anyone tried the deeper pro plus fishfinder?
DjGruv
Pan Fish

Re: Flasher vs lcd

Postby big jay » Jan Sun 01, 2017 6:28 pm

My opinion nothing beats a flasher on the ice I have a fl8 and a marcum LX-5 I won't fish with out one.
big jay
Game Fish

Postby catchafew » Jan Sun 01, 2017 6:30 pm

Idk, I think flasher units are plenty fine for ice fishing. I like vexilar units but that's all I've fished. I've heard some folks say marcum units cause a lot of interference for vexilar units so much so they don't want guys fishing next to them with marcum units. I'm spoiled I like my fl-18 and like the low power setting for shallow weedy which produces easy reading. But any entry-level Ice fishing unit is 100% better than fishing without one. Time management is critical and electronic allows you to quickly determine critical details and mark, track active fish and move off of dead spots.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Buffleheadbill » Jan Tue 03, 2017 1:19 am

I have a marcum lx-9 a marcum troller a lowrance elite 5and an old flasher similar to the vex and have fished with vexilars too. I like the simplicity of the vex but it fatigues my eyes really quick. I'm not sure if many people have that problem. I bought the elite thinking of using it as an open water rig for dual purpose but it is difficult to get a good reading of a tiny jig without cluttering up the screen. And the flasher on the lowrance has the same problem. Then I bought the lx-9 and its way easier to set up and run the camera is cool but sometimes more work then it's worth. I spend more time messing with the camera then fishing lol. I really like the chart for ice fishing and that's what I use the most. The show down is nice for running and gunning by yourself or with a buddy and that's the reason I bought it. You can see fish but the color palette is not as clear as the vex or marcum. So I'm not sure if this rambling helped you but like everyone says try fishing with as many as you can and buy the best you can afford. Hope I helped.
Instagram unclebillly
Buffleheadbill
Fishing Fanatic

Postby DjGruv » Jan Tue 03, 2017 6:49 am

Thanks all. All replies help. I was leaning toward the Lowrance hook 5 ice machine to use in open water as well but I'm still not sure. I'll check out some of the guys on the ice for more hands on before deciding.
DjGruv
Pan Fish

Postby billebob5 » Jan Tue 03, 2017 8:55 am

I have the Elite 4 and I bought it for ice fishing. Very disappointed with the unit for that purpose alone so now I'm a Marcum guy. Couldn't be happier with the LX 3 and I just purchased an LX7 which is like having an ipad for a flasher. Marcum also makes the pure tablet units now but they are like $1600.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Return to Ice Fishing