Nothing spectacular but I’m the board in 2017

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Nothing spectacular but I’m the board in 2017

Postby catchafew » Jan Tue 03, 2017 4:25 pm

I skunked my first two ice fishing outings on two different lakes this season. Finally on this small lake of 50 acres we started getting into some eyes, perch, gills and skis. My buddy has limited out on walleye before and got three this day. The primitive parking area is only big enough for 4 cars so it’s kind of nice but the rutted road is sobering to drive down.

No flags for me just a bunch of little perch and gills and a 3mm tungsten tipped with a spike. Smaller was better today, they wouldn’t take a bigger presentation today. It was fun to finally have some fish in the flasher. Mostly runts perch and pannies on this lake so far. I thought the ice braid would scare them away but I went fish for fish with the guys fishing #3 floro today, granted the water has some color.
perch2.jpg

Baby ski my buddy got through the ice. Ice is only about 7” so far, nobody is taking cars on the ice yet and the locals are chomping at the bit. My buddy lost one in the 40's last year on a walleye tip-up, talk about heart break. Most flags are in 7-8 FOW so far this season and we have tip-ups going out to 15 FOW and jigged for dinks in 12 FOW.
baby_ski2.jpg

Chomping on some road kill. Sorry for the shi*** picture but they are very skittish when you drive by so I just kept clicking with my phone.
road_eagle2.jpg

I got a bunch of little skis on this lake this year, I hope I get one through the ice. I love these little lakes and rivers.
36_ski2.jpg

P.S. Lots of guys on the ice this weekend on LBDN mostly north of Gladstone need the Kipling ramp but they’re just driving out with quads or sleds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Nothing spectacular but I’m the board in 2017

Postby billebob5 » Jan Tue 03, 2017 5:14 pm

great start. I'm on the board for the year too but over in Indiana. Had quite a busy day with bass popping flags pretty consistently. I'm looking forward to my first ice trip up to WI in Feb! Great report.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Tue 03, 2017 5:27 pm

Good variety of fun up there.

Everyone waiting for serious ice, me too (river ice).

Love the eagle road kill shot, even though yours doesnt look like a road. Got to be quick with the camera for those shots.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby urbanHog312 » Jan Tue 03, 2017 5:32 pm

nice report from the northland. best part of ice fishing is basically anything raised through the hole is some degree of fun and amusement.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Tue 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Congrats on the catching!

Not the biggest is still fun. My lady and I got out for her first time ever on the ice and my first time this season and caught all of six bluegills.

It's good to see you're catching and that ski can't be far away. Keep on 'em!
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Jan Tue 03, 2017 6:57 pm

Looks like fun! Cleanest ice holes I've seen in a long time.

That mention of LBDN has got me tempted as I do have a MI license yet. :idea:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Ice Fishing