First Fish of 2017

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

First Fish of 2017

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Mon 09, 2017 7:24 am

After a nice trip that was a bust at Busse on Friday afternoon I got to talking with a Facebook group chat I'm part of where we talk fishing. Plans started hatching but I wasn't aware until Saturday night.

Plans to fish happen organically for me. A Facebook chat with fishing friends centered around the desire to fish a body of water back in my old stomping grounds. I explained in the chat how to get sleds and gear to the water easily since I'd fished this lake before. In our circles knowing key pieces of info often means you're going fishing. So plans were made quickly in the hours before bedtime Saturday night and the alarm went off way too early Sunday morning. But it's amazing how quickly I popped out of bed knowing I was going ice fishing!

After getting on the ice last week, New Year's Eve I'd caught fish this ice season. What I haven't done is catch my first fish of this calendar year. Hopefully we'd change that this outing.

Hit the link below for the rest of the story...

https://darkstar72.blogspot.com/2017/01/first-fish-of-2017.html
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Re: First Fish of 2017

Postby joetrain » Jan Mon 09, 2017 8:50 am

I read the blog and enjoyed it.
It might be hard to believe but in a way I wouldn't mind a little ice fishing even though I'm here in Florida. Probably for just a day though because it's hard to beat the warmer weather. Maybe there will be some ice around when I get back in March.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Mon 09, 2017 9:51 am

joetrain wrote:I read the blog and enjoyed it.
It might be hard to believe but in a way I wouldn't mind a little ice fishing even though I'm here in Florida. Probably for just a day though because it's hard to beat the warmer weather. Maybe there will be some ice around when I get back in March.
~JOE~

Thanks Joetrain! I enjoy the storytelling aspect of the blog. Most fishing for me works out in this way and I like being able to put together a story and tell it with some visual aids thrown in.

Besides, who doesn't like fish pictures! :)

If we have ice in March when you come back from Florida ping me or shout it out here. I'm sure any one of us who fish the ice until it's at the ragged edge of safe would know conditions and invite you along.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby minstrel » Jan Mon 09, 2017 1:36 pm

And a good year catching to you in 2017 as well! :D Enjoyed your blog :clap:
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Mon 09, 2017 1:45 pm

minstrel wrote:And a good year catching to you in 2017 as well! :D Enjoyed your blog :clap:

Thanks Minstrel!

*bows*
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Jan Mon 09, 2017 2:20 pm

I clicked on the link and now I know the rest of the story.

Nice write up and pics!
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Mon 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Busse is the most humbling shallow water lake in Illinois. The IDNR shocking reports even humble the heck out of the veterans. According to them it's one of the best bass and walleye fisheries in Illinois. (Seriously read the reports)

But nice job on the rebound. Bass/crappie pond/lakes are a blast on the ice.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Mon 09, 2017 5:17 pm

RonG wrote:I clicked on the link and now I know the rest of the story.

Nice write up and pics!

Thanks RonG! You sometimes need to click! Good stories just done put themselves on ONE site! :)
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Mon 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Busse is the most humbling shallow water lake in Illinois. The IDNR shocking reports even humble the heck out of the veterans. According to them it's one of the best bass and walleye fisheries in Illinois. (Seriously read the reports)

But nice job on the rebound. Bass/crappie pond/lakes are a blast on the ice.

Yeah, Aux. I drilled a ton of holes near the Main Dam and marked plenty of tiny bluegill. I noticed that spot is a large flat so I'd think if I had tip ups or auto-fishermen I could get a few roaming bass or toothys.

I did look it up and I did see what you mention. It's a great big body of water on the main lake. I'll figure it out between ice and kayak eventually. It'll take time but it's a puzzle worthy of taking time on.

My buddy Pondboy has wanted to check out this pond and it just happened that when a bunch of us were fishing a nearby body of water two of us walked over the hill to this one and caught some. The some were enough for me to come back and explore that second time at night. I had a good time then and forgot about that pond after I moved to Palatine. It really was a Facebook chat where I gave the details on where to park that got me the invite and I'm happy to have taken Pondboy up on it.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Return to Ice Fishing