Ice thickness on Lake x

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Ice thickness on Lake x

Postby bassinSPB » Jan Wed 11, 2017 8:30 am

Anyone been out to lake x this year? Wondering about the ice thickness.
bassinSPB
Minnow

Re: Ice thickness on Lake x

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:04 am

Everyone has a different Lake X.....Or I'm just not in the know.... :lol:

I was on 6-7" on a decent sized pond near Wheaton, IL Sunday (1/8). The Friday (1/6) before I was on 7-9" on Busse.

This rain and warm up shouldn't monkey too much with the thickness. And the low temps into the weekend should help any shore ice issues that occurred.

Hope that helps! Otherwise shoot me a PM with info about Lake X and I'll go spud and drill holes for ya. :twisted:
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:37 am

I stopped by Busse yesterday to check it out. After the warm weather & rain there's no way I'd go out on the ice - even if I was into ice fishing. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:52 am

if the LAKE X you speak of straddles the Dupage/Kane line (almost) then it's had safe ice since before Christmas.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:52 am

I was out on the pits at Wilmington Sportsman's Club this past Sunday. We had 7 inches of ice in most spots, with the thinnest we saw around 4-5 inches. I really don't see this single day of warmth/rain having much effect on the ice. If anything, I expect it to be thicker. The rain pooling on top, combined with that nasty wind yesterday(that went deep into the evening/night after it dropped back down to about 25 degrees) should add ice, IMO. I know puddles around my house were frozen over almost solid just after the sun went down.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:52 am

oh, and you're welcome for drilling so many holes which you can just reopen. :D :D :D
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Jan Wed 11, 2017 11:00 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:I was out on the pits at Wilmington Sportsman's Club this past Sunday. We had 7 inches of ice in most spots, with the thinnest we saw around 4-5 inches. I really don't see this single day of warmth/rain having much effect on the ice. If anything, I expect it to be thicker. The rain pooling on top, combined with that nasty wind yesterday(that went deep into the evening/night after it dropped back down to about 25 degrees) should add ice, IMO. I know puddles around my house were frozen over almost solid just after the sun went down.

:thumbup: --logic backed by experience

The only problem caused by one 45┬░ day (daytime temps) with rain is a slip and fall danger as it gets so dang slippery. The pooling water re-freezing coupled with no snow on top and cold temps will give you increased thickness if anything. Just use a little extra caution around current areas or drain pipes if it's been raining/flowing.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Jan Wed 11, 2017 12:41 pm

I agree also about what a day or two of warmth will do. The only other additional caution you may need if it has been raining is around existing holes. In the warm up / cool down we had before Christmas, ice on my local pond actually went from 3-4 inches to 4-5 inches. However, the 6 inch holes I had drilled a few days before had doubled in size and the ice around the holes were only a couple inches thick.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Wed 11, 2017 4:20 pm

billebob5 wrote:if the LAKE X you speak of straddles the Dupage/Kane line (almost) then it's had safe ice since before Christmas.

Then I know the lake he's speaking of but since moved out of Naperville I haven't been back there. Great lake, weeds up fast, lots of lilly pads and some big pigs in there where they can't be caught and turned into fried fish by those who only seek a meal.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby billebob5 » Jan Wed 11, 2017 4:52 pm

still don't know why everyone has to be so secret about it. Good crappie, gills, bass. Probably catfish too. Personally I've seen gar.......
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:06 pm

RonG wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:I was out on the pits at Wilmington Sportsman's Club this past Sunday. We had 7 inches of ice in most spots, with the thinnest we saw around 4-5 inches. I really don't see this single day of warmth/rain having much effect on the ice. If anything, I expect it to be thicker. The rain pooling on top, combined with that nasty wind yesterday(that went deep into the evening/night after it dropped back down to about 25 degrees) should add ice, IMO. I know puddles around my house were frozen over almost solid just after the sun went down.

:thumbup: --logic backed by experience

The only problem caused by one 45┬░ day (daytime temps) with rain is a slip and fall danger as it gets so dang slippery. The pooling water re-freezing coupled with no snow on top and cold temps will give you increased thickness if anything. Just use a little extra caution around current areas or drain pipes if it's been raining/flowing.

RonG is right. Plus it got and stayed below freezing last night. Some rain and 40-50 degree temps during the day will be negated by below 32 overnight. Then the day/nights below 32 we are to get from tonight through the weekend should actually build a little ice.

The shore ice would almost always be the first to decay....it's likely still decent if not a tiny bit sketchy....no sunshine also helps but the below freezing days and nights make for improved ice.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby SpecialEd » Jan Thu 12, 2017 8:57 am

billebob5 wrote:still don't know why everyone has to be so secret about it. Good crappie, gills, bass. Probably catfish too. Personally I've seen gar.......

Yea I don't get the secrecy either. I think it's more of a tongue in cheek thing.

There are hybrid stripers (well at least one) in there too FYI.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Jan Thu 12, 2017 10:27 am

man. We got more than a little rain last night in SE Michigan with several heavy downpours as the temp went up above 50. The ice looks to be holding and it will get colder again for a few days but it could get dicey. If I go out I'll be staying well away from old holes and will take extra care on the shoreline.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Thu 12, 2017 10:32 am

DasGoby wrote:man. We got more than a little rain last night in SE Michigan with several heavy downpours as the temp went up above 50. The ice looks to be holding and it will get colder again for a few days but it could get dicey. If I go out I'll be staying well away from old holes and will take extra care on the shoreline.

Yeah... there was a thunderstorm here in the Chicago area... I was driving through the woods on 107th and LaGrange Road around 7pm and was amazed that the entire sky kept lighting up with lightning and a torrential downpour. In January! :shock: :lol:

I think it might have made ice dicey for the next day or so. But with cold forecasted(sub 30 temps) and even colder at night, the ice should harden back up nicely, with added thickness, by Saturday, IMO.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Ice Fishing