Saturday 01/14/17 - Who wants to fish?????

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Saturday 01/14/17 - Who wants to fish?????

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Thu 12, 2017 9:55 am

I was going to try and get out and ice fish a lake by my parents on the south side this Saturday at some point. It has a very good population of large crappie and gills, as well as some good bass, and big cats, and the occasional grass pickerel or chain pickerel. I was looking for someone to accompany me out there, as I've never ice fished it, and would rather not be on it by myself when I'm unfamiliar with it. I know exactly where the crappies should be, as well, and have a couple areas that they normally hang in that I want to try, but they're out over deep water. It's probably ~18-22 feet in both areas I'd like to try. Which makes me want to be out there solo even less. :lol: It's a fairly large body of water that some of you may be familiar with already, actually.

I don't have a flasher, shanty, or heater. Everything else, though, including power auger, and even some spikes and waxies already. Forecast shows a fairly mild 30 degrees, but with a chance of snow/ice, so it would be awesome if someone actually had a 2-man or bigger shanty they'd share. If we can't get into the crappies, which I'm almost positive we can, even without a flasher, then I know we can get on some gills instead. And there's some big gills in there too. I've been fishing this lake since I was 11-12 years old, so basically 20 years. I know everything there is to know about it, including structure, depths, etc. Just don't want to roll solo on unfamiliar ice. Anyone interested? Ron??? We've never gotten out and fished together before. You interested in some possible large crappie and gills? I've gotten a 17 inch crappie out of this lake... and there were days where we caught 75-100 crappie, all between 11-15 inches. Shoot me a PM if interested.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Saturday 01/14/17 - Who wants to fish?????

Postby joetrain » Jan Thu 12, 2017 10:13 am

Too bad I'm in Florida or I would be all over this.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Thu 12, 2017 10:20 am

Funny thing is I'd trade you and be in Florida right now if I could be. Haha
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jan Thu 12, 2017 10:39 am

Only for one day. :D
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » Jan Thu 12, 2017 11:13 am

Damn man if I didn't have plans with the family already I would be all over this. Even though I have no shanty, I have an extra flasher you could use.

If the ice holds up to the weekend after I'll be available that Saturday if that works for you. This weekend is just not gonna happen for me.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Thu 12, 2017 12:01 pm

SpecialEd wrote:Damn man if I didn't have plans with the family already I would be all over this. Even though I have no shanty, I have an extra flasher you could use.

If the ice holds up to the weekend after I'll be available that Saturday if that works for you. This weekend is just not gonna happen for me.

Definitely understand the family obligations. I'd be hitting that Sand Lake outing on Sunday if it weren't for family stuff going on. So Saturday is my only option this weekend. We can try for the next weekend Saturday, possibly, if the ice holds up. I'll keep in touch.

If anyone wants to try and get out this Saturday, though, reach out!
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Jan Thu 12, 2017 2:36 pm

Pm sent.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » Jan Thu 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Southside? I was thinking about hitting something this weekend.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Thu 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Yep. Worth area. I'll text you both.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Buffleheadbill » Jan Thu 12, 2017 9:39 pm

What Time you thinking about hitting the ice?
Instagram unclebillly
Buffleheadbill
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Thu 12, 2017 11:46 pm

Anytime really. I could be out as early as 7am when the sun comes up. Or we could wait and go a little later. Didn't have that planned yet. Was waiting to decide that if I found someone who wants to go.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Buffleheadbill » Jan Fri 13, 2017 1:47 am

I will pm you my phone number text me tomorrow and we will figure something out I'd be happy to join you
Instagram unclebillly
Buffleheadbill
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Thu 19, 2017 11:27 am

Never updated this. But I got out with Bill on Saturday last week. We looked all over for fish, and probably drilled well over 100 holes. We managed to catch a bunch of fish, just not so many of the ones we were targeting/hunting for all day.

I think we managed about a half dozen crappie, probably around 30-40 bluegills, with lots of dinks, with a few in the 6-7 inch range, and around 10-12 bass or so, mostly around 10-12 inches. We had a great day on the ice, honestly. Not a lot of fish for keeping, but lots of fish caught. At one point we found where the bass were holding up, because every time we dropped a jig/bait down, we pulled up a bass, even managing a double at one point, if I remember correctly. Crappie and gills all came on jig/spikes/waxies. Minnows will be in the arsenal next time. My bass all came on a jigging rap near submerged timber in about 12-15fow. All in all, a productive and fun day on the ice. I'm definitely getting back out there again, now that I'm more familiar with the ice there. Gonna find the motherlode of crappies, if it takes all winter. :lol:

It was a beautiful day to be out. Roughly 35 degrees, no wind, and overcast skies. Nice meeting ya, Bill. We'll get back out there again as soon as she locks back up. :thumbup:

Did find some promising looking water with lots of submerged timber in about 8-9fow that I want to try next time. And we're not the only ones who ice fish this lake, apparently, even though I've never seen anyone out there. There were a couple different sets of holes drilled in a couple spots, though only half a dozen or so holes total.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby torchd » Jan Thu 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Let me know the next time you want to go out. I would love to tag along!
torchd
Game Fish

Return to Ice Fishing