1/16 R&R

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

1/16 R&R

Postby RonG » Jan Tue 17, 2017 12:41 pm

No, silly. Not rest and relaxation. My fishing never involves either. I think skifish has just about the same approach. Go, go, go. Bop til you drop.

The ice may be leaving us so I headed out in the storm for a little Rain&Roaches action in the pond I just fished for the first time the day before. Stupid! I got there and didn't even think of brinking my waders. All the rain pooled up by the shoreline and I had to slip and slide out in 4" of water that piled up atop the ice for the first 20' out. :twisted:

I kept flashing my camera, but just couldn't produce the Rainbow in the Dark that I was trying for. :cry:

Gills and roaches were the biters. I lost a bunch of my pics, so just a few crappy ones.

The roaches are insane fighters, even more nutty than swirling bluegills and they like to wrap your line around your transducer cord. With all the water atop the smooth ice, I was able to get a good enough reading leaving the transducer out of the hole.

Knock Three Times: After awhile I noticed I was wasting a lot of time recharching my glow jig. Glow was not necessary. I neither ran into Tony Orlando, nor stayed until Dawn, but I discovered that dropping a not glowing jig down and knocking them in the head 3 times was enough to get them to bite. The roaches are fun and are 7-9" on average, frisky as a rainbow trout and a better party than catching the slew of 4" bluegills most Chicago area places put out. Very few missed hooksets, I must say. Not like the gills that often peck, peck, peck and are gone when you jerk, the roaches are predictable. Usually a few taps, a pause, then you notice some slight downward pressure. A pretty easy pattern to follow. Night vision about as good as crappies. I saw many of them chasing my non-glow jig downward on the initial drop.

I decided to stay and break my Roach record of 20 fish from the night before. 52 was the total! Hard to believe I was happy with the roach record of five Golden Roaches I set a week ago on another pond. And hard to believe how much of a fishing loser I was as recently as one week ago. I wish I could legally sell these guys for $2-3 each and use the $$ to buy more gear I don't have any use for.

Leaving, I found more (and deeper) shoreline water. It was now flowing with current like a river. I'm not sure if it was moving on it's own or if it was just blown by the strong east winds, but it was moving. :shock:

Seaworthy.

Hard to see in the dark pic, but my shanty floats and tracked better than a cheap kayak as I pulled it through the shoreline river.

The rain never stopped the whole time and the thunderstorms rolled in an hour after I left.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: 1/16 R&R

Postby urbanHog312 » Jan Tue 17, 2017 1:14 pm

i would say with 99.9% certainty that you were the only dude out ice fishing last night in the western burbs
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Jan Tue 17, 2017 1:17 pm

You would probably be doing that body of water a favor by collecting the roaches and swinging by a bait shop to see if they would buy the roaches for cheap. It's a mute point though my van is always ready for something my entire ice fishing gear, clothes, fuel, etc etc stays in my van I could stop and fish anywhere anytime. Likely I will swap the ice gear out and reload for open water fishing gear this weekend. That is, 50 degrees.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jan Tue 17, 2017 1:19 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:i would say with 99.9% certainty that you were the only dude out ice fishing last night in the western burbs

Ha! That's funny. I had the same thought as I was driving home at the stroke of midnight, when I wondered if possibly I had been the only guy in the Chicagoland area out ice fishing in the rainy darkness that evening.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby urbanHog312 » Jan Tue 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Ha! That's funny. I had the same thought as I was driving home at the stroke of midnight, when I wondered if possibly I had been the only guy in the Chicagoland area out ice fishing in the rainy darkness that evening.

excluding neilsens meat market, im sure you took the chicagoland title by a landslide as well
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Jan Tue 17, 2017 1:57 pm

I wish I could legally sell these guys for $2-3 each and use the $$ to buy more gear I don't have any use for.

$2-3 per roach is a lot. I paid $1.20 per for our tip-up outing on Monday and they were big, healthy baitfish.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jan Tue 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Crap. As a wholesaler, I'd probably only get $0.60 ea then. I'll keep searching for a decent recipe for now. :lol: (or the proceeds could purchase beer which is more useful than more gear)
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SpecialEd » Jan Tue 17, 2017 2:49 pm

RonG wrote:Crap. As a wholesaler, I'd probably only get $0.60 ea then. I'll keep searching for a decent recipe for now. :lol:

They'd also make great garden fertilizer.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jan Wed 18, 2017 11:48 am

Update: The ice is still thick.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Wed 18, 2017 11:49 am

RonG wrote:Update: The ice is still thick.

I'm venturing a guess that it won't be come Saturday/Sunday. Not with 50+ temps throughout both days, and overnight lows in the 40's.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jan Wed 18, 2017 11:54 am

The 10 day still looks bad with Sat/Sun looking really bad. It might be best for the ice to go completely and start over if it can vs refreezing into an unpredictable mess.

RonG wrote:Update: The ice is still thick.

I'm not endorsing the inexperienced to venture out on any ice currently. But for those familiar with their bodies of water, there still can be a few days available.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby JB » Jan Wed 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Maybe that pond is someone's holding corral for roaches they brought back from a bad outing elsewhere. Always have access to bait if you actually used it. :D :D
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Ice Fishing