Boot Comparison: Baffin Wolf Boots vs. Cabella's Inferno 200

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Boot Comparison: Baffin Wolf Boots vs. Cabella's Inferno 200

Postby torchd » Jan Mon 23, 2017 8:54 pm

I am looking for a good ice fishing boot. I have narrowed it down to the Baffin Wolf boot or the Cabella's Inferno 2000 Pac boot.

Baffin is good up to -40°F, no laces, has a removable liner,midcalf design, weighs 4lbs 6.5 oz/pair and price is ~$185

Cabella's has 2000 gram thinsulate material, mid calf design, has laces, 5.7 lbs/pair and is $112

I will get the BPS redhead wool life time warranty sock to pair these with but I am not sure what size boot to get? I wear a shoe depending on the manufacturer anywhere between an US 11 or US 12. So what size boot should I get when using wool socks?

Any pointers or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
torchd
Game Fish

Re: Boot Comparison: Baffin Wolf Boots vs. Cabella's Inferno

Postby catchafew » Jan Mon 23, 2017 11:10 pm

I hunt and ice fish in Northern WI and the UP. The boots below (Cabela's Predatorâ„¢ Extreme Pac Boots) are NOT meant for long hiking expeditions but I'm very please with them after hours on the ice and in a deer blind. Go to a store, try them on with one pair of wool socks, you'll likely need to buy them one size up. The felt inserts really help and the toes have a pocket for chemical toe heating packets but I've never used warmers yet with these boots. I got my gf a pair as well to keep her on the ice longer. Aside from the weight, she's very pleased with them, plus her son-in-law and daughter borrowed them once said if they had to do it all over again they would get these boots and they live up north and hunt and ice fish.

I don't think the Cabelas Infernos have removable insert boots. I think that's the way to go is with removable inserts to quickly dry out your boots when you get home and be ready for the next day. Plus I'd rather wear out the felt boot inserts and replace it than wear out insole of the boot itself. I looked at the Infernos a couple years ago and not having a removable boot insert was a deal breaker for me. With the Baffin's I'd consider going much warmer than the -40F rating, but that's just me, I think some temp ratings are kind of BS.

$133 on sale.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 6CQ_st%3Db
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Jan Tue 24, 2017 11:10 am

read your thread on the shanty. My question on the Baffis is the "water resistance" issue. If I'm fishing ON ICE, or IN SLOP / SLUSH, dont you want a 100% waterproof boot? I was really liking what I read on the Baffins but this issue really turns me off.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby UFCreel » Jan Tue 24, 2017 11:15 am

If that is your issue go with Baffin Titans.
UFCreel
Minnow

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Tue 24, 2017 11:17 am

What about Mickey Mouse/Bunny boots?

You can find them for $100 or less, usually. My next pair of boots will likely be a pair of white bunny boots. I mean... if they're good enough to keep our military personnel's feet warm, then they're good enough to keep my feet warm.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Jan Tue 24, 2017 11:31 am

Man those boots are heavy. If you are going to do any amount of walking I would think hard about that.

I went from a cheap pair of boots to Sorels this year that I picked up at Costco for under 90 bucks.

They didn't fit me well but I think Boggs are really nice. They are very water proof and when combined with warm socks and foot warmers will keep you warm in any weather.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Tue 24, 2017 11:34 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:What about Mickey Mouse/Bunny boots?

You can find them for $100 or less, usually. My next pair of boots will likely be a pair of white bunny boots. I mean... if they're good enough to keep our military personnel's feet warm, then they're good enough to keep my feet warm.

I got a pair of MM's for less than a hudo for this ice season. The boots and a pair of Swedish military wool/cotton blend socks (same surplus store purchase) and my feet have been nice and warm for all the times I've been on the ice this year.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby BrookfieldAngler » Jan Tue 24, 2017 12:15 pm

I can't say anything for the Baffin booths but I do have the Infernos and absolutely love them. I have yet to wish that I had anything warmer. I also don't wear any special socks with them - just some plain old cotton socks.
Nick - BrookFieldAngler.com
Hobie Fishing Team · LucidFishing · Biovex · StankX · Quest Watersports · Railblaza
BrookfieldAngler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Jan Tue 24, 2017 12:23 pm

I've never been let down my Rocky's in the eight? yrs I've owned them. I've fished in double digit minus cold and never, not once, had cold feet. I just wear whatever socks happen to be on my feet, tube socks, dress socks, whatever and I'm good to go.

http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens-bo ... rrency=USD

(read the reviews on this same page of the link)
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Tue 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Darkstar72 wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:What about Mickey Mouse/Bunny boots?

I got a pair of MM's for less than a hudo for this ice season. The boots and a pair of Swedish military wool/cotton blend socks (same surplus store purchase) and my feet have been nice and warm for all the times I've been on the ice this year.

Everything I've ever heard about them says they're a must-own. People who live in Alaska swear by them. And they deal with some of the coldest winter temps where there are inhabitants.
As I said, I plan on them for my next boot purchase, and I already have a pair of Under Armour wool thermal socks that keep my feet warm even in my cheaper pac boots, or my hunting boots.

I don't hunt, but got a nice pair of 300g Thinsulate hunting boots for X-Mas to wear on the boat in cold weather when the pac boot is just too big and bulky to move around in. I got tired of thinking I was going to trip and fall into 40-50 degree water because of a big ass klunky boot on my foot causing me to catch my feet on shit and stumble on the deck of the boat.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jan Tue 24, 2017 2:41 pm

SmalliesNEyes wrote:People who live in Alaska swear by them. And they deal with some of the coldest winter temps where there are inhabitants.

My best buddy got a pair when he was in the service. He lived in AK for 30+ years after he got out and swears by these boots. USA surplus stuff is hard to beat.

For that matter I have a pair of wool pants - I think they're either West or East German army (from back in the good old days when we still had commies to kick around) and they are bullet-proof. Only problem is they're button fly which is just a bit inconvenient in seriously cold weather when speed is of the utmost importance in visiting the governor. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby torchd » Jan Tue 24, 2017 10:53 pm

I chose not to go with the Baffins as they are not 100% waterproof... That is a no no for winter time..

I ended up ordering tonight the Cabella's Inferno 2000 Pac Boot for $110 shipped: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 6CQ_st%3Db

I also ordered a pair of Ice Armor bibs from Amzon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX ... UTF8&psc=1

Now for my wool sock, I will be using the BPS RedHead Limetime wool sock: http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Lifetime ... uct/34713/

Now what I need to do research on is a BASE LAYER. It looks like the BPS shop (their XPS) version looks good. I am not sure which one to go with.. 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 for shirts and same the pants. Is anyone using BPS base layers?
torchd
Game Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Wed 25, 2017 4:19 am

All I know is I had to "downsize" from a pair of 800 gram to 400 gram thinsulate. The 800's were too warm. I now wear the Cabela's snow runner max. Excellent comfort, lightweight, waterproof, most importantly no laces that just collect water anyway. For me personally, I don't need artic weather gear. There are only about 9 hrs of daylight in winter, I usually fish half a day, my feet never feel the elements.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Wed 25, 2017 9:58 am

torchd wrote:Now what I need to do research on is a BASE LAYER. It looks like the BPS shop (their XPS) version looks good. I am not sure which one to go with.. 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 for shirts and same the pants. Is anyone using BPS base layers?

I wear a few t-shirts, a thin hoodie, a fleece, and a coat and I'm good in all the weather I've fished in this year. Below the waist it's jeans or fleece-lined jeans under an Ice Armor bib.

You can go high-tech fabrics and whatnot but a nice pair of silk long underwear goes a long way to making you toasty warm.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jan Wed 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Darkstar72 wrote:I wear a few t-shirts, a thin hoodie, a fleece, and a coat and I'm good in all the weather I've fished in this year. Below the waist it's jeans or fleece-lined jeans under an Ice Armor bib.

And do you look like the kid in "A Christmas Story"? That makes me laugh just thinking about it. What a great movie.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Wed 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Rambler wrote:
Darkstar72 wrote:I wear a few t-shirts, a thin hoodie, a fleece, and a coat and I'm good in all the weather I've fished in this year. Below the waist it's jeans or fleece-lined jeans under an Ice Armor bib.

And do you look like the kid in "A Christmas Story"? That makes me laugh just thinking about it. What a great movie.

Heheheh...nope. Check my blog for the visual. This year I only wore my ice armor over-coat once. I got a NorthFace coat for winter this year that keeps me plenty warm with the the other layers on.

I do dig the reference however! (I won't lick any flagpoles, frozen or otherwise)
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Jan Wed 25, 2017 5:17 pm

Darkstar72 wrote: but a nice pair of silk long underwear goes a long way to making you toasty warm.

Not that it's any of my business, but you wear silk underwear fishing?? :shh: Is plain ok or is with some kind of print better?
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Wed 25, 2017 5:38 pm

RonG wrote:
Darkstar72 wrote: but a nice pair of silk long underwear goes a long way to making you toasty warm.

Not that it's any of my business, but you wear silk underwear fishing?? :shh: Is plain ok or is with some kind of print better?

I don't because I don't have any. I did when I was a teen. No prints and they make 'em manly!

http://www.landsend.com/shop/mens-underwear-long-underwear-long-underwear/-/N-fzc?brandCode=classic
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Jan Wed 25, 2017 11:41 pm

Oh, I get it. Yeah, those are quite manly. Believe it or not, that one pair of those underwear costs more than I paid for my like-new, in-the-original-box Vexilar!
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Thu 26, 2017 3:24 pm

RonG wrote:Oh, I get it. Yeah, those are quite manly. Believe it or not, that one pair of those underwear costs more than I paid for my like-new, in-the-original-box Vexilar!

Then you got a fantastic deal!

The military surplus site I got my MM boots from is having them on a sale.

https://colemans.com/shop/boots-and-footwear/u-s-g-i-extreme-cold-temperature-boots-unissued/?utm_source=Coleman%27s+Specials&utm_campaign=ca49e2a69f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_25&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d6727d9ecf-ca49e2a69f-158354221&mc_cid=ca49e2a69f&mc_eid=13e0e3dd8c

Use code MS20 at Checkout to save 20% off your order....or so says the email I received from them.

Normally $79.95 new/never issued down to $59.95–$79.95 (depending on size)

They size larger than normal. I wear a 12 wide and I bought an 11 regular. The 11 works great for my feet and wool socks.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby torchd » Jan Fri 27, 2017 10:25 pm

I got my boots and bibs today. Pretty quick seeing as I ordered at 9pm on Tuesday night.

As for my Cabella boots, these things are huge lol. The mid calf portion of the boot needs to be broken in, it is quite stiff. Also I ordered a size 12 boot, depending on my shoes I am either an 11 or 12, well i should of gotten a size 13 to begin with. Tomorrow I will head to a Cabella's store to exchange them.

My bibs fit perfectly. Just loose enough for me. They are not digging at the crotch while standing or squatting.
torchd
Game Fish

Postby Fonzie » Jan Sat 28, 2017 2:41 pm

torchd wrote:I got my boots and bibs today. Pretty quick seeing as I ordered at 9pm on Tuesday night.

As for my Cabella boots, these things are huge lol. The mid calf portion of the boot needs to be broken in, it is quite stiff. Also I ordered a size 12 boot, depending on my shoes I am either an 11 or 12, well i should of gotten a size 13 to begin with. Tomorrow I will head to a Cabella's store to exchange them.

I've been following this thread and I just assumed you knew to buy at least one size up from what your normal shoe size is. I'm sorry I didn't mention it earlier.
I have two pairs of the Cabelas boots and I love em'.

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.
Fonzie
Game Fish

Postby torchd » Jan Sat 28, 2017 10:39 pm

Fonzie wrote:
torchd wrote:I got my boots and bibs today. Pretty quick seeing as I ordered at 9pm on Tuesday night.

I've been following this thread and I just assumed you knew to buy at least one size up from what your normal shoe size is. I'm sorry I didn't mention it earlier.

I have two pairs of the Cabelas boots and I love em'.

In the post that you quoted, I said that I am a size 11 some shoes a 12... Depends on the manufacturer. I went with a 12 and was a little snug. Today I took the drive to Hoffman Estates and exchanged them for a 13. All is good now.
torchd
Game Fish

Return to Ice Fishing