Switch to full site
Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.
Forum rules
Post a reply

1/27 Toasty Ice

Jan Fri 27, 2017 4:28 pm

I checked out my ponds last night and the ice is toast. Roach Motel pond had about 20' of open water before the ice started. Another pond had about 40' of water and it was windy and it made me sad watching the waves. Of course if you had a 40' plank to get to the ice, the first few steps would not be too safe. :cry:

I drove by Bangs today. Not a soul out there, alive or deceased. The ice made it to shore, but didn't look good. In the middle, it almost looked like open water. Or maybe it was that very clear ice that I photographed X-mas eve. Regardless, the middle looked much different from the rest.

Still hoping for some return of safe conditions.

Re: 1/27 Toasty Ice

Jan Fri 27, 2017 5:00 pm

The question is whether it is better for ice reformation to have open water or a thin layer of crappy ice?

Jan Fri 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Agreed, Ron. We've got some good, solid cold nights for two weeks with decently cold to below freezing days.

I'm cautiously optimistic we'll get on the ice again this season.

Jan Fri 27, 2017 11:18 pm

DasGoby wrote:The question is whether it is better for ice reformation to have open water or a thin layer of crappy ice?

Sometimes when the ice goes bad, I'd almost rather it goes completely, then starts from scratch. With the winds and freezing, but not extremely cold temps, I think it would take some time, if at all to re-freeze. I think we will be ok and it will go quicker with most lakes still covered, but with an open shoreline that has to refreeze.

Jan Sat 28, 2017 7:36 pm

It's starting to get late in the season, the Sun is gaining power and the days are lengthening all of which does not bode well for us ice junkies.
Post a reply