2/3 Ice-llahu Spudbar (Ice is Great!)

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

2/3 Ice-llahu Spudbar (Ice is Great!)

Postby RonG » Feb Fri 03, 2017 3:14 pm

My Arabic is poor. I hope I spelled that correctly. Well, some fishing joints have frozen up again. I started out in the deep 20' area and the fish were the dopiest I've seen all season. It was apparent some kind of date rape drug was administered to the the gill girls. Don't doubt me. As soon as you admit to yourself that all fish are pervs, you will have the same conclusion. Some pervier than Michael Jackson or even Robert DeNiro.

I started to nab a few that got the munchies after their drugging.

There was a nice variety in their coloring. I moved across the bubbly ice to the back to 15'.

The action was much better but the downside were stacks of the small bluegills. Several minority fish (perch) cut into the line of bluegills.

The ice was great, 6" in most places. There was 4" of original ice left from before the heatwave, with 2" of fresh ice formed underneath it.

The ice was good quality. None of it looked or tasted like it was that crappy honeycombed ice I was warned about. It stayed below freezing the whole outing, yet when I got off in the same place I got on, 2" of water was atop the ice that wasn't there a few hours earlier. Then I noticed a whole shoreline of open water that I swear wasn't open when I got there. The rest of this ice season will remain weird and a puzzle.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: 2/3 Ice-ahu Spudbar (Ice is Great!)

Postby Rambler » Feb Fri 03, 2017 3:22 pm

RonG wrote: None of it looked or tasted like it was that crappy honeycombed ice I was warned about

Man - that's what I'd like to see - Ron licking the ice. Be sure to stay away from flagpoles! :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: 2/3 Ice-llahu Spudbar (Ice is Great!)

Postby Darkstar72 » Feb Fri 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Glad there is ice! I'll have to get the GF out Saturday or Sunday.

The forecast looks like we'll keep nights below freezing for the next 14 days with some days being above freezing but the nights dip back down.

We will hopefully have fishable ice for weeks to come. Fingers crossed!
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby DasGoby » Feb Fri 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Great and hopeful report Ron. I'm going to check my local pond in the morning. The ice mostly melted in my area but it was only 6 last night and was cold today. We'll see if this weekend happens or not. MY guess is I'll have to wait another week.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Feb Fri 03, 2017 5:11 pm

DasGoby wrote:Great and hopeful report Ron. I'm going to check my local pond in the morning. The ice mostly melted in my area but it was only 6 last night and was cold today. We'll see if this weekend happens or not. MY guess is I'll have to wait another week.

I hope it happens for you and soon! Some of it here makes sense, but a lot defies rhyme or reason. Those two ponds I keep posting pics of still have that same open water as I type. One looks like it's closed up a bit, but nothing I'd want to walk on even if I could access it from another shore.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Ice Fishing