Ice thickness.

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Ice thickness.

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jan Tue 02, 2018 2:41 am

Not really a fishing question, but y'all are going out on ice already so this would be the best place to find out. What's been the ice thickness of the lakes you've been on? Only asking because with the extreme cold we've had and the pending "warmup" I've been trying to get some guys together to play some pickup pond hockey on a retention pond behind my apartment. Schaumburg puts flags out by pretty much all their ponds indicating whether ice is safe or not to trek onto, but after 3 years of living here I've yet to ever see a green flag. Come to find out, they don't ever put them up anymore and leave the red flags up as a "go out at your own risk" and liability reasons.

The pond is no more than a few feet deep and I wouldn't be shocked if it's iced through by now (zero indication of gilled life leads me to believe this is true). But my sheer lack of ice knowledge doesn't know if anything under 6" is safe for 6 to 10 guys to skate (and probably fall) on.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Ice thickness.

Postby Luv Fishing » Jan Tue 02, 2018 6:06 am

2-3". Must have a pair of balls and temps must be below freezing.
4" safe
5-7" Atv / snowmobile
15" truck

I had a few buddies fished the chain 6-8". I was out on bangs on Sunday 4-6".
Luv Fishing
Minnow

Postby Darkstar72 » Jan Tue 02, 2018 10:02 am

I was out on Sunday in Naperville. 3-4". Spud bar wouldn't go through. Non-creaky, good ice. Since it was single digit temps my experience plus checking with spud-bar and the occasional hole for reference made me feel very comfortable.

I took my fiance' out for the second NYE in a row. She was very comfortable too now that she has been out with me. Walking on a lake was hardly brought up at all which means she felt safe.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby billebob5 » Jan Tue 02, 2018 10:52 am

with the temps lately you're fine. especially if it's only a few feet deep. the only concern would be if you had enough snow on top to insulate the ice thus slowing down the ice making process. But I'm guessing if you drilled a hole in this small retention pond that by this time you'll find a minimum of 6-8 inches of ice.

FWIW I'm about 190# (Maybe 195 after all the festivities this week) and I'm comfortable on 2.5 inches including all my gear.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby BassCaster » Jan Tue 02, 2018 11:41 am

it's 8 inches over here and growing each day.
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jan Tue 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks! Schaumburg posted a cautionary post on their facebook just now, I feel like they found this post ! :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby poygan54940 » Jan Tue 02, 2018 7:51 pm

6-7 inches on the main pool @ Busse Sunday. Patchy snow cover.
poygan54940
Minnow

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jan Thu 04, 2018 9:21 am

poygan54940 wrote:6-7 inches on the main pool @ Busse Sunday. Patchy snow cover.

Holy moly that's thick. The pond by me has a heavy layer of snow that got blown onto it, I'll need some push brooms to be able to play on it.

Thanks everybody!
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Ice Fishing