What else is new..

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

What else is new..

Postby Aux Pleins » Feb Fri 01, 2019 8:35 pm

Aux Pleins posts another pike, yawn.....

When I fish the Des Plaines I usually tie on one lure and only carry pliers and spreaders. When the bite is off, I'll get crazy and carry a second lure in my pocket. :lol:

Wish I could say the same for when I ice fish.

IMG_20190201_32170.jpg

Anybody else tired of Cletidus and Joetrain posting pictures of sunny days on open bays?

Well I'm not, I enjoy them. I just wanted to point out we have the same opportunities as they do in Florida.

Northern Illinois Peacock.

IMG_20190201_2611.jpg

Northern Illinois Gator

IMG_20190201_45181.jpg

Caught a dozen small blue gills that came mostly on a tiny jigging rapala tipped with waxies. Had to be on weeds or wouldn't get any nibbles. I couldn't make enough noise with a small presentation to catch many. For the first two hours I tried with little results, things changed when I went with the rapala. In the deeper basins (17fow) perch would come right off the bottom on a tungsten, but no gills. Drilled a total 28 holes and got some stink eye from the guys who were glued to their buckets and not catching anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: What else is new..

Postby joetrain » Feb Fri 01, 2019 8:39 pm

You go boy.

I miss ice fishing. I haven’t done it in 5 years. Sold all my gear. Gotta say I’m a bit jealous. Just a bit.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Feb Fri 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Nice Manitoba sized local water meanie pike. That's about 14oz of slime covering a fish that size. God awful smell that pike slime. Hammers maybe 1oz of slime. Sow pike 14oz.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Feb Fri 01, 2019 10:50 pm

Skifish1 wrote:Nice Manitoba sized local water meanie pike. That's about 14oz of slime covering a fish that size. God awful smell that pike slime. Hammers maybe 1oz of slime. Sow pike 14oz.

Sounds like a good idea for a post, "Stinkiest & most slimey fish". Everybody will agree Common Carp takes that crown. I know guys who will throw you out of their boat if you try and bring one in or use their net to bag one.

I will definitely nominate the long nose gar as runner up. I can't unhook one without just being covered in that slime.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Feb Fri 01, 2019 11:51 pm

Big, very big!
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Feb Sat 02, 2019 1:34 am

Wow, shoe horning that pike out an 8" hole should of relieved some slime. Tight fit?
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Feb Sat 02, 2019 9:24 am

vman01 wrote:Wow, shoe horning that pike out an 8" hole should of relieved some slime. Tight fit?

I was thinking the same thing. Total opposite of "Hot dog down a hallway"
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Feb Sat 02, 2019 9:58 am

Nice fish. That pike will warm you up. If I ice fished, I'd have drilled just as many holes. It'd be hard to sit in one place for so long without any action.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Feb Sat 02, 2019 10:36 am

Pulling it out of the hole is always harder than putting in it. As for the pike, I actually pulled it out of an 8inch hole and released it in a 6inch hole.

On a panfish hunt I drill 6inch holes everywhere.

IMG_20190202_19692.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Feb Sat 02, 2019 2:30 pm

Dang man, did you have to widen the hole to squeeze that sow through? :thumbup:
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Feb Sat 02, 2019 8:49 pm

jmdog2003 wrote:Dang man, did you have to widen the hole to squeeze that sow through? :thumbup:

Its something a lot of guys dont think about or plan for, getting it out of the hole once you're hooked up. If you watch YouTube you see a lot guys try all different things. But for the most part it seems like they havent even thought about before hand and they just wing it. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a salmon guy gaff one so he can get his photo and then release it like it was no big deal. :roll: That happens almost every time I ice fish L.M.

Best way to get em is literally hand through hole and grip under that jaw/gill plate area. Then comes the tricky part of pointing that nose into the hole. Not so easy to get a big fish like that vertical when its floating horizontally against the ice. But definitely a higher landing percentage than trying to use lip grabbers.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Sun 03, 2019 1:19 am

Sweet pike Aux. Don’t worry it never gets old
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Feb Mon 04, 2019 10:03 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Northern Illinois Peacock.

lmao! nice pike!
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Return to Ice Fishing