Cordless drill auger set ups.

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Cordless drill auger set ups.

Postby Wamiaakai » Nov Wed 27, 2019 8:14 am

Who is running one. What drill and auger https://drilling-it.com/best-ice-auger-drills-reviews/ are you using and what's your performance? I went with a Rockwell 20v drill with a Canadian tire $80 subzero hand crank auger. Works pretty darn good and saved some coin. Most holes I got punched out were 7 by myself the one day, with battery life to spare.
Wamiaakai

Re: Cordless drill auger set ups.

Postby Phil6 » Nov Wed 27, 2019 9:34 am

Looks like that Rockwell 20v only has 530inlbs of torque, obviously it depends on the auger size and other variables, but people recommend using a drill with 800+in/lbs of torque for drilling holes. 5Ah batteries are also usually recommended for anyone drilling 10+ holes in a day. The most popular selection on the ice fishing forums tends to be the 1200ftlb M18 Milwaukee 1/2 Drill/Driver or the Dewalt offering of the same similar spec drill. The bare drills can usually be had for ~$100, batteries will run it up to ~$200

One big complaint people have with house brand drills (like from harbor freight) is the battery life in the cold compared to Milwaukee or Dewalt
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Nov Wed 27, 2019 11:10 am

Milwaukee M18 Fuel hammer drill, as indicated by Phil with two 5ah batteries, and both a 5 and 7 inch Mora with sharpened blades every two seasons. I've popped 50+ 7 inch holes on a single battery and never depleted it below about 50%. The 50+ holes were through 8-10 inches of ice, for reference. I've never even had to put the second battery in the drill during an outing(though I obviously rotate them). And I leave it sitting outside in the cold for the most part, also. I also don't typically fish for extremely long periods on the ice. I'll go out from like 6am-1pm, or do short afternoon outings from like 12pm-5pm. The 50+ hole day was my longest day last year, and was about 12 hours on the ice, from about 6am-6pm. Everything gets charged as soon as I'm back at the house. For under $250 for the entire setup, you can't really go wrong, IMO. I watched out all last year for deals on that drill, and eventually Home Depot offered it for $229, I believe. May have been cheaper. Drill, two 5.0AH batteries, charger, and hard case.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Nov Wed 27, 2019 11:20 am

I forgot Rigid has a very popular drill, I would say 1-Milwuakee, 2-Rigid 3-Dewalt
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Nov Wed 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Phil6 wrote:The most popular selection on the ice fishing forums tends to be the 1200ftlb M18 Milwaukee 1/2 Drill/Driver
x2. I'm very happy with mine so far and I'm getting I'm guessing 20 8" holes on one 5ah battery through 16" to 20" of ice.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Wed 27, 2019 3:53 pm

Milwaukee, what else...

[youtube]K8u1UXgzgpo[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/K8u1UXgzgpo
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby catchafew » Nov Wed 27, 2019 8:03 pm

I hope I don't cause some folks to get upset but imo those dedicated 40v ice augers are way too heavy at 24 to 27 pounds. I'm at 10 pounds with my 8" K-Drill (awesome so far) and my Milwaukee drill and it's a breeze to drag around the ice.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Nov Wed 27, 2019 8:38 pm

catchafew wrote:I hope I don't cause some folks to get upset but imo those dedicated 40v ice augers are way too heavy at 24 to 27 pounds. I'm at 10 pounds with my 8" K-Drill (awesome so far) and my Milwaukee drill and it's a breeze to drag around the ice.

Agreed.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Nov Wed 27, 2019 10:50 pm

Milwaukee fuel and KDrill 8” eats ice like my soon to be ex wife eats dicks.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Dec Sun 01, 2019 11:11 am

billebob5 wrote:Milwaukee fuel and KDrill 8” eats ice like my soon to be ex wife eats dicks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Dec Sun 01, 2019 11:34 am

giphy_oYtVHSxngR3lC_fixed_width_354825285119778.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Aux Pleins » Dec Sun 01, 2019 11:54 am

billebob5 wrote:Milwaukee fuel and KDrill 8” eats ice like my soon to be ex wife eats dicks.

images.jpeg.jpg
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Phil6 » Dec Mon 02, 2019 10:53 am

Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby robertob » Feb Wed 05, 2020 9:34 am

There are many different styles of ice augers to choose from. Each type has its own benefits and drawbacks, and the best auger for one angler may not be the best choice for another. Learn about the different types of ice augers to figure out which will work best for your ice fishing needs.
welderreview.com
robertob

Postby Phil6 » Feb Wed 05, 2020 9:52 am

robertob wrote:There are many different styles of ice augers to choose from. Each type has its own benefits and drawbacks, and the best auger for one angler may not be the best choice for another. Learn about the different types of ice augers to figure out which will work best for your ice fishing needs.

Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Feb Wed 05, 2020 12:04 pm

Saw this pretty good video review of 3 electric augers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u3ZIv8z16o

Unfortunately, it doesn't include the KDrill combo but I think the Jiffy drilling performance shown in the video is pretty similar to what I experienced using the KDrill.

The lighter Gen 2 ION looks really cool but man, I can't justify $700 for a drill.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Feb Wed 05, 2020 12:47 pm

After having some experience with the 2804 I can comfortably say its incredible. Hole hoping has never been easier. Only upgrade I could see myself making would be one of the lightweight plastic-flighted augers. Not an issue right now, something to consider when I work through my 3 sets of nero blades :roll:
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Cranked » Feb Wed 05, 2020 10:09 pm

What's her number?
Stick it.
Cranked
Dumb Jagoff/2012 AOY

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Wed 05, 2020 11:16 pm

Cranked wrote:

What's her number?

:lol:
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby leslietomb95 » Mar Fri 20, 2020 2:36 am

Ice Auger drill was one of my best experiences. These reviews meet my expectations. It just does the job easily in reefer container. I would suggest everyone go for Ice Auger drills.
leslietomb95

Postby RonG » Mar Fri 20, 2020 3:03 am

Leslie, don't be dumb. Everyone knows there's no need for an Ice Auger Drill in Vegas except for in Disney's Frozen, the Musical. Hop back into your reefer container. I refuse to click on the link of a cheap seductress.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Ice Fishing