Still exploring new local lakes and still dinking it up.

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Still exploring new local lakes and still dinking it up.

Postby catchafew » Jan Sun 12, 2020 7:59 pm

We didn't hit it that hard or long and got out late (15:30) on this productive lake, but she was happy to land some. The first lake was a bust, but it's too large to cover on foot to get to the good spots.

Smaller was better today tipped with spikes. I switched two of my rods over to pure 3# line and got rid of braid/floro leader on my heavier eye/pike/bass jig just too crude to let lighter jigs do their thing, I'm looking forward to using them next time.

I hope to punch some holes this week on some new lakes this week, I got some productive road scouting in today and found two of interest. Ice isn't strong enough to drive out on yet with car/truck and I don't have a sled yet so I fish smaller lakes but often encounter smaller fish.

10-12 fow, 150 yards from the boat dock, just fished jigging rods on 2nd productive lake today. No flags yet this season. It would really help if I got serious sometime and got out on the water at a respectable time but that's the way things are going for now.

Just a few years ago she'd hitch a ride and now she's helping out.
jcart.jpg

Electronics to keep them engaged, but I'm just as guilty.
j_ell.jpg

She's landing monsters alright.
jgill.jpg

Not sure if color really mattered today, I don't really know if I'm ever really, really fussy on color or if the fish are.
pinkperch.jpg

Hopefully with my next ice post I'll have something more impressive, time will tell. Color of the gills seem muted muted on this lake.
thigh_gill.jpg

Expensive new toy (Aqua Vu 5.0 Micro Pro Revolution) that I'm convincing is to keep others entertained on the ice. I need to use this a few more times on a few different lakes before I give a better report out. I'm really, really looking forward to trying out on the smallie river I fish in the spring by securing it to a pole in some quiet pockets of water and throwing some tubes in front of the smallies. My theory is the smallies are stacked like cords of wood at this time of year and it's purely a very competitive race against other smallies to get to the tube first. I think at other times they're not in the same waters or don't have much competition and take more time to inspect what they're eating. I will say this comparing the flashes on the flasher as the fish are racing off the bottom to your lure and abruptly stopping to inspect your offering based on what they see, the action or lack of action you impart is very interesting. The camera does help you remember that only very subtle jigging action is all that is needed at times and why pro ice anglers tend to rest their jigging hand on their thigh to maintain more precise control. Anyway we'll see if this camera has better range in less stained/turbid waters, I have to tinker with it more. This unit as the ability to load video files to the internet, hopefully I'll figure it out shortly. Also unless it's you're intent don't bounce your jigs off the bottom, it creates a large cloud of silt that takes a while to settle down, granted there are various schools of thought if it adds value.
fish_camera.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Still exploring new local lakes and still dinking it up.

Postby bobberwatcher » Jan Sun 12, 2020 10:11 pm

So cool! Way to get the little ones in on the game! There always seems to be perch under the ice. Hmmmm. Speaking of ice fishing, I saw a tv show about inventions awhile back that featured an on ice vehicle made specifically for ice fishing. Wonder if it was ever marketed.
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby polishfly » Jan Mon 13, 2020 9:25 am

Hell yea! Looking forward to the smallie videos thats awesome!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Mon 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Nice to have a helper for the gear ! Not even a tad of slushy ice on Sterling lake which is right on the border..
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Jan Mon 13, 2020 6:09 pm

Not a hard water fishing guy but that 1st picture looks awesome. Haven't been in the North Woods in winter in years. I'm jealous. :mrgreen:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Jan Thu 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Nice report. Keep them coming....
Hope you figure out the video thing. (Ask the g-kids, they will have it in under 30 sec)
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jan Sat 18, 2020 11:36 am

Always enjoy hearing about your winter exploits Mike
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jmdog2003 » Jan Sat 18, 2020 7:27 pm

Beats the heck out of what I've been doing the last month. Fun stuff to put fish on the ice.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Jan Tue 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Good stuff.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Ice Fishing