Ice thickness

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Ice thickness

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Tue 21, 2020 5:44 pm

Planned on getting out this afternoon, but got hung up at work. Will try again tomorrow if the work load cooperates.

Anyone have any ice thickness reports?
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Ice thickness

Postby Phil6 » Jan Wed 22, 2020 9:19 am

I've been on 3 different ponds in the last 3 days, when I got out sunday I had 2 inches of clear ice with 1 inch of solid frozen slush and its only grown from the there. Cant provide any feeedback on big water like the fox chain if thats what youre looking for
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Jan Wed 22, 2020 9:38 am

3-4" near Aurora, very small "lake" less than 10 acres.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby JB » Jan Wed 22, 2020 1:43 pm

Lemont quarries had 3.5 “ on monday
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jonny2can » Jan Wed 22, 2020 3:43 pm

What's the ideal safe thickness?
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Postby DasGoby » Jan Wed 22, 2020 3:52 pm

What's the ideal safe thickness?

This is a complex question. You can walk on 1.5" of good clean ice but the problem is at what point can you guarantee that everywhere you walk will hold you. Lakes can have all sorts of thin ice areas for a variety of reasons: underwater springs, duck/geese activity, shallow sunny areas, runoffs etc.

My rule of thumb is I'll go out in 3-4" on early ice lakes I know well, taking lots of security measures including spud bar, spikes, and floating suits.

I'll relax a little as we get in the 5-6" range. When we get above 6" on the ice I know well, I'm then willing to explore less well known areas.

The two things that throw additional wrinkles in things are snow and rain. Worse case scenario is heavy snow on top of a couple inches. Also, rain can really soften things up quickly.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Wed 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Another day of too much work and not enough sunlight for me. Tomorrow will be the day I get out I tell ya....

Also Lake County Forest Preserves has a 4in minimum. Yesterday the lakes were closed and today I.G. and Banana are open according to the website.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Michalski » Jan Wed 22, 2020 9:54 pm

I.G was closed today for fishing/ice skating (according to the sign at the entrance)
Michalski
Pan Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Thu 23, 2020 8:52 am

Michalski wrote:I.G was closed today for fishing/ice skating (according to the sign at the entrance)

Word!! Good ole county miscommunication
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Thu 23, 2020 8:55 am

Not too happy with snow getting piled on the ice... want to get out this weekend. Gonna make it hard to see thin spots and old holes... :|
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Thu 23, 2020 9:43 am

Just called county. Officer Smith returned my call from on location at IG. Ice fishing is open but ice skating is closed. So Skifish1 must leave his figure skates at home this time.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Phil6 » Jan Thu 23, 2020 10:01 am

Had a mixed bag late (9-12) last night, crappie/gill/bullhead on 4 inches out near lincolnshire. Slow but it was warm out so no complaints
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Jan Thu 23, 2020 10:37 am

did not catch the thickness but Swedish Lenn was on Bangs getting Crappie in 13 feet 6 feet down, Crystal Lake had 5 or 6 groups out there today be safe all
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Thu 23, 2020 7:02 pm

Found 4inches up around Gurnee. Drowned a couple suckers for pike for a couple hours. Got nothing top side but had a couple tail grabbers pull some line out.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby WanderOff09 » Jan Thu 23, 2020 7:19 pm

I'm really hoping to get out to Mazonia this weekend. I have 4-5" at a pond in Minooka/Channahon.
WanderOff09
Game Fish

Postby philkol123 » Jan Fri 24, 2020 8:40 am

I'm fishing a tournament on a private lake near Lake Geneva, supposedly 6 inches of ice. I'll let you all know how it goes.
philkol123
Pan Fish

Postby Phil6 » Jan Fri 24, 2020 9:50 am

Going to be interesting tonight with all this weird weather. Already saw pooling water on some ponds driving to work, wonder how bad itll get by evening
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Jan Fri 24, 2020 11:22 am

rain sucks. 36 degrees sucks. Not having a good pair of muck boots sucks.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Fri 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Open water next week!
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby Phil6 » Jan Fri 24, 2020 1:55 pm

Going to try and get out and target some walleye tonight if possible, anyone hear anything about the fox or crystal or zurich? I havent seen a single walter report in Illinois this season. I just got my first one up in vilas county Wi last week (only took two seasons of skunks), Im pretty clueless when it comes to looking for them in bigger water down here, any and all advice is appreciated.

Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Wolfnight » Jan Fri 24, 2020 3:07 pm

Well done sir.
Wolfie
Wolfnight
Pan Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Fri 24, 2020 3:13 pm

This
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby billebob5 » Jan Fri 24, 2020 4:09 pm

just think, next safe ice will be season 4.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jan Fri 24, 2020 4:14 pm

Welcome to the new normal. My sympathies to all you hard water crazies. I'm dreaming about Spring.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jan Fri 24, 2020 4:39 pm

Rambler wrote:Welcome to the new normal..

Yea, last years crazy long winter and record setting lows will never be seen again! :roll:
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Fri 24, 2020 7:51 pm

I guess you could say on a "normal" year we ice fish thru February. I'm guessing we will get a week or possibly two in during Feburary. That said, the ice fishing season in Illinois has been a total bust. By bust I mean no safe ice across the board.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Jan Fri 24, 2020 9:46 pm

Rambler wrote:Welcome to the new normal.

It's not normal to think there is a new warmer Chicago normal, that our local climate has permanently changed because this winter is running warmer than last's. :roll: :crazy: :wtf:

Sweet walleye! :thumbup:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Jan Sat 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Ron: You remain my favorite global warming denier. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby billebob5 » Jan Sat 25, 2020 3:08 pm

RonG wrote:
Rambler wrote:Welcome to the new normal.

It's not normal to think there is a new warmer Chicago normal, that our local climate has permanently changed because this winter is running warmer than last's. :roll: :crazy: :wtf:

Sweet walleye! :thumbup:

Well Said Ron!
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby badger75 » Jan Sun 26, 2020 2:58 pm

Temp's ebb and change.
I remember not too long ago, (I know that's relative since I am 66 years young). It was a winter in the late 1970's - '78 if memory is still semi working - Feb had 22 straight days below freezing, there was a stretch of about 4-5 days temp never got above zero, and one day was -24 degF. I was living an Calumet City then. Very cold winter.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Sun 26, 2020 3:25 pm

Hit Lemont Quarries today. Fished Icebox the entire time, and walked the entire lake with a buddy. Whole lake was 2.5 to 4.5 inches. Between us we caught about 2 dozen bluegills with about half a dozen at keeper size around 7 or 8 inches, about a dozen bass between us, biggest one around 12 inches, and one crappie around 6 inches. Was nice to finally get on some hard water. Should maintain that ice we have too. They were finicky. Light bites, and had to work em up off the bottom. Jig and plastic took most fish. They didn't really want bait.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Jan Sun 26, 2020 4:38 pm

^^^ Nice report sne.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby philkol123 » Jan Mon 27, 2020 8:57 am

Nice report SNE. I might be heading out there soon. Ice fished for the first time ever on Saturday in a tournament held for a cancer research foundation. Seemed like everyone around us caught pike but us, but it was our first time ever on hard water. Still had fun, and ended up winning a signed Packers football even though I'm a bears fan lol.
philkol123
Pan Fish

Postby billebob5 » Jan Mon 27, 2020 9:19 am

philkol123 wrote:Nice report SNE. I might be heading out there soon. Ice fished for the first time ever on Saturday in a tournament held for a cancer research foundation. Seemed like everyone around us caught pike but us, but it was our first time ever on hard water. Still had fun, and ended up winning a signed Packers football even though I'm a bears fan lol.

Put it on Ebay. You might get $5 for it.
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Jan Mon 27, 2020 10:54 am

Skunked on Pitaskee friday night, conditions were surprisingly really good for all day rain and then snow. Got out Sunday and we put a combined 50 gill/crappie on the ice between two of us, all jigging, no fish on the traps. Fingers crossed this week holds :?
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jan Mon 27, 2020 11:13 am

Phil6 wrote:Skunked on Pitaskee friday night, conditions were surprisingly really good for all day rain and then snow. Got out Sunday and we put a combined 50 gill/crappie on the ice between two of us, all jigging, no fish on the traps. Fingers crossed this week holds :?

Should be fine. Night are all forecast to be like sub-30 degrees, and days like 34 or 35. We should keep what we have, and maybe build a little more during overnight hours.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Jan Mon 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Seemed like everyone around us caught pike but us

one small adjustment i like to make for pike on flags is keeping the bait about 5 feet below the surface. they often roam around suspended in the column under the ice. hard to believe with such a weed oriented species in open water situations.

when targeting bass i like to go much lower and typically a foot above a deeper weed line.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby philkol123 » Jan Mon 27, 2020 4:21 pm

urban hog thank you. It was a lot of fun and a new realm of fishing I've never experienced so time to blow some cash on some new gear lol.
philkol123
Pan Fish

Postby Phil6 » Jan Tue 28, 2020 9:23 am

urbanHog312 wrote:
Seemed like everyone around us caught pike but us

one small adjustment i like to make for pike on flags is keeping the bait about 5 feet below the surface. they often roam around suspended in the column under the ice. hard to believe with such a weed oriented species in open water situations.

when targeting bass i like to go much lower and typically a foot above a deeper weed line.

I need to get better about this as well, just feels so much more likely to get a hit off bottom
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jan Tue 28, 2020 9:32 am

Anyone here ever fish Devils Lake in Wi through Ice? might end up there this weekend
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Jan Tue 28, 2020 10:08 am

Anyone here ever fish Devils Lake in Wi through Ice?

yes. access from south shoreline. grab some tungsten jigs. that f****r is deep. gold was working for me on bluegill and a couple trout. for tip ups, use your electronics to work the slope of the big boulders that come out from the west shoreline by the cabins. we did pretty good for largemouth by dangling roaches over there at various depths.. this was a few years back. doubt much has changed.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jan Wed 29, 2020 9:10 am

Went out for a quick solo last night, got my first IL walleye! Stoked. Walked ~1 mile carrying all my gear because I didnt have a sled to use, and it paid off. Otherwise not a single mark, no complaints here.

Also, thanks urb. I've read a good amount of people saying the cabins are a good place to get started so hopefully we can find something near there. Looking forward to fishing some deep stuff
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Ice Fishing