Ice out!

Don't cast away! Get the latest tip-ups on fishing the hard water.

Ice out!

Postby RonG » Mar Tue 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Partial ice out by me. The rest I won't walk on. Pretty much normal--i usually figure by March 8th it's gone, often sooner.

I used to push it more with cramming 'one last outing'. I used to kayak 3 miles out on Lake Michigan. 'Don't seem to do either anymore. I never did iffy ice stuff, I just start my seasons a little later and end them a little earlier now.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Ice out!

Postby SpecialEd » Mar Wed 04, 2020 8:33 am

You going up to Depere this year? That's a bite I'd like to get on...
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Wed 04, 2020 3:42 pm

SpecialEd wrote:You going up to Depere this year? That's a bite I'd like to get on...

Up by the dam, there is some decent action for shore angling. A lot of snaggers too. :thumbdown:

I haven't even thought of it. It would take a lot of working out to get in shape. An 8-10 hr night of paddling in the cold is brutal and even worse if I take a nap and do it again. What kills me is to spend $60 for a license that ends the end of this month, then if the bonanza doesn't happen until after 4/1, be tempted to buy another.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Wed 04, 2020 4:33 pm

Almost there, almost. Cant wait.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby philkol123 » Mar Wed 04, 2020 4:42 pm

May I ask what exactly you're talking about? lol

RonG wrote:
SpecialEd wrote:You going up to Depere this year? That's a bite I'd like to get on...

Up by the dam, there is some decent action. A lot of snaggers too. :thumbdown:

I haven't even thought of it. It would take a lot of working out to get in shape. An 8-10 hr night of paddling in the cold is brutal and even worse if I take a nap and do it again. What kills me is to spend $60 for a license that ends the end of this month, then if the bonanza doesn't happen until after 4/1, be tempted to buy another.
philkol123
Pan Fish

Postby RonG » Mar Wed 04, 2020 6:20 pm

philkol123 wrote:May I ask what exactly you're talking about? lol

Walleye fishing in the Green Bay area. Pretty much a boating thing, but just like when I starting kayaking back in the early 2000s to get at the LM perch that only the boats could, I figured a kayak should work for these walleyes.

https://www.windycityfishing.com/forums ... 82#p440482

Dang Photobucket, messing up everyone's photos :twisted:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FishinMatt » Mar Thu 05, 2020 6:20 pm

Depere is on the list for later this month hopefully.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Thu 05, 2020 8:09 pm

3 of the ponds/lakes I frequent near home in the Hoffman/Schaumburg area were either partially iced or fully covered yesterday. One is still 100% frozen as of late today. Pissed me off, had everything in my car to fish it. Couple from yesterday on a pond that was 50/50. Last year it was March 15th when I was able to wet a line here the first time. 6 mini clone bass and the 1 Crop. Had a much better day last year too
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Wed 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Today, Wednesday march 11th, DPR backwaters and creeks along the Wisconsin border are still iced over. One popular spot is about 90% ice still albeit some slushy looking shit. The main channel is open and rising and has a very stained Columbian coffee with 2 teaspoons of oat milk kind of look. Was thinking about hitting Independence, but something tells me that still has some annoying ice.

I did notice Old School is wide open for those guys who have it in their rotation.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby cletedius » Mar Wed 11, 2020 3:43 pm

RonG wrote:
philkol123 wrote:May I ask what exactly you're talking about? lol

Walleye fishing in the Green Bay area. Pretty much a boating thing, but just like when I starting kayaking back in the early 2000s to get at the LM perch that only the boats could, I figured a kayak should work for these walleyes.
:

Those walleye are very wack & stackable for the shore fisherman as well(no, not talking about snagging them by the dam :thumbdown: ). Have had a few 20+ fish days casting off the Island while the banks were still covered in ice & the river open. 1 of the few (excellent) opportunites for the shore guys to tag a true trophy walleye without a boat.

Just dont even think about it on a weekend.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Return to Ice Fishing