Sayonara September

POst reports from those private lakes and ponds. No need to give up the location. Sometimes just knowing they're biting in a region can be a help to others.

Sayonara September

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Mon 30, 2019 8:04 am

Same horrible rains that washed out last fall look to be happening again here. The end of the summer which is normally a great time to fish the DPR has been a real struggle with flood stage, high murky water, and unseasonably cool weather to start the month. Still got on a few fish in flooded grass and patches of better clarity.

With water temps cooling a tad down to 70-64 degrees, reaction strikes have been best. Bucktails, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and the shudderbait. I have to tell you now after a summer of fishing chatter and shudderbaits side by side, I now wholeheartedly prefer the shudderbait. It just provides a lot more thump/vibration and does a better job in and around weeds/snags.

IMG_20190930_42232.jpg

IMG_20190930_6255.jpg

IMG_20190930_53692.jpg

Ended the month going up north for some river fishing. Conditions were pretty tough with the weeds(grass) dying off and floating downstream and filling the water column with snags. Picked up good amount of smallmouth and two of the smallest muskys I've seen. A lot pike showed up too. A few walleye made appearances and Beer-rogi got a good one.

IMG_20190930_24602.jpg

IMG_20190930_17714.jpg

IMG_20190930_12477.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Sayonara September

Postby urbanHog312 » Sep Mon 30, 2019 8:14 am

hoping it recedes a bit and we get some normal flows during peak fall colors. nice job brotha. i'll have to give the shudderbait a whirl next year.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Mon 30, 2019 8:18 am

urbanHog312 wrote:hoping it recedes a bit and we get some normal flows during peak fall colors. nice job brotha. i'll have to give the shudderbait a whirl next year.

I'll add that if I were to fish deeper and wanted more sink I would go to a chatter because the shudderbait has some rise to it and it doesn't sink as fast.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby minstrel » Sep Mon 30, 2019 12:53 pm

I expect a surge in shudderbait sales :D What kind of trailer were you using on them?
minstrel
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Mon 30, 2019 1:16 pm

minstrel wrote:I expect a surge in shudderbait sales :D What kind of trailer were you using on them?

I was using a variety of swimbaits as trailers. Really like using those BPS speed shads, especially when they're on sale. A really good trailer was the cabelas hoochie coochie. Those are the best plastic for the money I can find.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jonny2can » Sep Mon 30, 2019 2:25 pm

Awesome fish! Those large mouth are fatties!
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby ccorso » Sep Mon 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Thanks for the report Aux. September has usually been my best month on the river, but I barely even made it out this year with the weather and flooding. And who needs a fish cleaning station when you have paper plates? :clap:
ccorso
Game Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Mon 30, 2019 5:40 pm

ccorso wrote:Thanks for the report Aux. September has usually been my best month on the river, but I barely even made it out this year with the weather and flooding. And who needs a fish cleaning station when you have paper plates? :clap:

Story behind that it was an inner gill hooked smallie that was bleeding out. So a quick shore lunch out of it and it was delicious. My mother who worked as a butcher for decades always said you can't taste the difference between pike, walleye, or bass. I don't eat much fish so I know I can't.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby cletedius » Sep Mon 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Nice fish & cool pics :thumbup:
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby DPMike » Oct Tue 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Aux Pleins wrote: My mother who worked as a butcher for decades always said you can't taste the difference between pike, walleye, or bass. I don't eat much fish so I know I can't.

Nice pics! I'm not so sure about those fish tasting the same though.
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Pan Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Tue 01, 2019 6:58 pm

DPMike wrote:
Aux Pleins wrote: My mother who worked as a butcher for decades always said you can't taste the difference between pike, walleye, or bass. I don't eat much fish so I know I can't.

Nice pics! I'm not so sure about those fish tasting the same though.

Go to Captain Porky's, order some Blue Gill, Lake Perch, Walleye Pike, and Catfish. They have it all. I can't tell them apart, my taste buds are probably damaged from years of eating frozen pizzas that were too hot straight out of the oven.

I think people prefer walleye and its built a lake to plate following because they have larger fillets than a panfish and are easy to clean, unlike a northern pike which requires a little more attention to fillet with the Y-bone. Jon Gillespie prefers pike on his plate, that's a fish eating slob if I ever seen one.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby badger75 » Oct Tue 01, 2019 7:02 pm

Great pics and info.

I would disagree with your mother (OOPs that could get me in real trouble).
I think it depends on how you cook them. If heavy batter and a whole lot of deep fry time, it does all taste the same.
But with a light fry or baking, I believe there is a difference, although I might fail a true blind taste test.
My order of preference (Top choice first):
Walleye, perch, crappie, bass, blue gill, pike
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Wed 02, 2019 4:29 am

Thanks badger. And that's the point I was trying to make, I'm willing to put money on all of us failing a blind taste test. :D
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Oct Wed 02, 2019 6:51 am

Aux Pleins wrote:my taste buds are probably damaged from years of eating frozen pizzas that were too hot straight out of the oven.

I don't think we've ever seen more eye to eye on a topic :lol: the amount of tongue burns in my life just from frozen pizzas I'm shocked I don't have callouses on my tongue.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Oct Wed 02, 2019 8:37 am

Really nice Aux despite the high water some great fish.
Count me in on the pizza blisters.
Have to agree. There is probably a bigger difference in fish texture than fish taste on the ones mentioned assuming the same preparation on each. Given a choice though I'm ordering a steak or chop most of the time.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby jmdog2003 » Oct Sat 05, 2019 11:25 am

A good lookin' lot of fish you got there. Yeah, these high waters are starting to get a bit annoying. Exact same conditions that limited my options on my week off last October.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Oct Sat 05, 2019 4:31 pm

The DPR magic man strikes again!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Oct Sun 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Us lake guys love rain and rising water :D But I know how bad it sucks when your favorite rivers are swollen out of their banks. Your results look good on the Shudder, I'll give mine another try on some ponds but I just found them to have too much lift. I had a hard time keeping a 1/2oz from breaking the surface. Maybe I need to rewire my brain into not working it like a bladed jig. Are you using a sub-7 gear ratio reel for those? I was probably using a 7.1 or 7.4. As per usual Aux, great monthly report and killer fish,
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Sun 06, 2019 8:58 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:Us lake guys love rain and rising water :D But I know how bad it sucks when your favorite rivers are swollen out of their banks. Your results look good on the Shudder, I'll give mine another try on some ponds but I just found them to have too much lift. I had a hard time keeping a 1/2oz from breaking the surface. Maybe I need to rewire my brain into not working it like a bladed jig. Are you using a sub-7 gear ratio reel for those? I was probably using a 7.1 or 7.4. As per usual Aux, great monthly report and killer fish,

I've been using high speed reels. But you're definitely right about the rise. Its best for fishing higher in the water column, over weeds, tree limbs, etc.

I have been putting the shudder blade on 3/4oz swim jigs instead of the stock jig it comes with. I would definitely go chatter if I thought I wanted more sink. As you know, you let the fish decide where you should fish. My preference for the shudder was mostly based on presenting in the river and heavy weed covered.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Oct Tue 08, 2019 8:04 am

BTW - I'm guessing no Piketoberfest this year...?
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Tue 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Rambler wrote:BTW - I'm guessing no Piketoberfest this year...?

2 yrs in a row :x .

We might as well just do a New Years Day Paddle. Seems to be one of the few months of the year that the water has been manageable.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Grain » Oct Wed 09, 2019 9:28 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Seems to be one of the few months of the year that the water has been manageable.

You were not kidding when you said this crap will take a month. But I'll try tomorrow anyway, otherwise I am afraid I won't get to kayak DPR until next summer.
Grain
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Oct Wed 09, 2019 6:23 pm

Just stopped by the river in Riverside. Fugidaboutit.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to "Private" waters in Illinois