She's skinny and ugly but I'll take her

POst reports from those private lakes and ponds. No need to give up the location. Sometimes just knowing they're biting in a region can be a help to others.

She's skinny and ugly but I'll take her

Postby catchafew » Sep Mon 28, 2015 9:43 pm

I was up North this weekend trying to chase down a few more bass and smallies. The bass in the lakes have been ok and are still hitting wackies through I tried a rage blade and trolled some perch colored x-raps for pike. The rivers have been cruel most of the season I'm only a dink magnet now and none of the big boys have returned from May. I really need to be more sophisticated next year instead of just hitting the same 3 or 4 spots and almost always throwing tubes, easier said then done with you have almost always have fan club of novice anglers with no waders tagging along.

Licking my wounds I went to the '15 minute pool'. The pool is so small (~60 x 60') that if you can't tag into some fish in 15 minutes you just leave at least that's what me and the locals do.

The first dozen casts with a black tail and silver bladed Bochertail and nothing with casts to all spots and seams of this pool with appropriate heavy equipment and steel leader. Overcast day perhaps silver isn't the color but I only carry one musky lure with me.

Then I said screw it perhaps I can scare up some smallies with much lighter equipment (mh 6'6", 14# mono, (this is my light topwater rig and what I had handy)) and 4" craw colored tube with 1/8oz jig. Sure enough on the 2nd cast I tie into this ugly mother as she's parked right under the arches of a dam generator that's turned off. People who say the little, old Shimano CU50e with only 10lbs of drag can't handle a decent fish I beg to differ. I'm guessing this tug of war went for a good 3 minutes but it seemed like 30, she'd make runs trying to get into the main current and some how I was able to turn her back, I'm sure it would be over if she got into the main current with this bass fishing rig. The she tries to go under the plywood covered arches (not shown) of the turned off generators and is rubbing the line against the cement columns... not good. I walk further back down stream to pull her out of the arches. It's a catch 22, the arches are the only place I can safely get to the water level to land her but of course she's seeking the safety of the arches. The whole time I'm doing my best to land this fish but I know anything bad can happen and will likely happen as I've brought a knife to a gun fight, lucky the tube was hooked perfectly on the outside corner of the mouth. As luck would have it two local anglers showed up who help me land the fish as I mugged for a few pics. One of the locals pointed out some scars on the fish as mentioned he had caught her before. She's scraped up around the face, missing part of her top jaw but is still a tough old bird and released without issues. Funny thing is the other guys walked back after 10 casts as they know this pool is only good for one decent fish or 15 minutes of fishing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: She's skinny and ugly but I'll take her

Postby Busse Jim » Sep Mon 28, 2015 9:56 pm

:clap: Great Fish and Post!! Love the play by play. Nice catch!
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Dr. Utssab » Sep Tue 29, 2015 3:13 am

Nice fish and story Mike!
Dr. Utssab
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Tue 29, 2015 3:23 am

Good one Mike. Sounds like shes been around the block a few times. I still would have got a photo with out the "obstruction" in the background out pure habit not necessity.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Sep Tue 29, 2015 4:59 am

Man that's a nice fish. Good to see you won that battle.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby djsend » Sep Tue 29, 2015 5:27 am

Congrats! That's a great report too!
Ask advice from everyone but act with your own mind.
djsend
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Sep Tue 29, 2015 5:49 am

Skinny,ugly,etc. doesn't matter to me. Congratulations. ~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FISHdank » Sep Tue 29, 2015 6:19 am

Very nice mike, seems like youve had pretty good #s of teeth up there.
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Sep Tue 29, 2015 6:27 am

Bingo!

nice size ski.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby rigmewacky » Sep Tue 29, 2015 7:25 am

Nice size ski Mike. Sounds like a nerve wracking fight, but fun.
"Fish, for sport only, not for meat. Fish meat is practically a vegetable." -Ron Swanson
rigmewacky
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BassCaster » Sep Tue 29, 2015 9:02 am

Wow , great report Mike. Sweet looking Ski :thumbup:
I spent half my money on fishing, gambling, alcohol, women and billiards. The other half I wasted.
BassCaster
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby catchafew » Sep Tue 29, 2015 9:03 am

Aux Pleins wrote: I still would have got a photo with out the "obstruction" in the background out pure habit not necessity.

Yeah I thought about asking these locals to take a pic of ski and me without the ugly and semi tell-tale background but I guess I was too lazy and just wanted to get her back in the water.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby achotrod » Sep Tue 29, 2015 10:33 am

Very nice fish and post. Im so long over due for a fish its killing me, but you guys keep me going with posts like this!
achotrod
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Zenfish » Sep Tue 29, 2015 11:24 am

Great catch! I'm on the hunt for a ski next chance I get but I don't have a "muskie rod". Looks like my heavy bass rod should be able to hang in a muskie fight as long as I have the drag set well and stay focused through the fight like you did.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. -John Buchan
Zenfish
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WetWader » Sep Tue 29, 2015 11:31 am

Nice fish and post Mike. Still yet to get my first musky....one of these days.
WetWader
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Sep Tue 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Zenfish wrote:Looks like my heavy bass rod should be able to hang in a muskie fight as long as I have the drag set well

I’m no expert on musky fishing but even with ‘heavy’ bass equipment with heavy braid, leader, etc. most bass rods imo are too wimpy to really drive a musky size treble hook into decent size musky’s jaw. I’ve had a couple decent pike and skis this year spit the hook as soon as we got them in the net, the hook was never really in them good, despite the fact I had extra heavy bass rod (rated up to 30# line, fast action, 7’3”) with 65# braid. When in doubt swing for the fence with your hook set when it comes to musky and keep pressure on them at all times.

I’d defer to guys like achotrod, skifish, Aux and others about minimal equipment needed for targeting larger members of the esox family.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby wiktor911 » Sep Tue 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Nice fish
wiktor911
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Sep Tue 29, 2015 2:03 pm

Super!

Reminds me of my 40x150' 15 minute spot up north. Although I can easily stretch it to 90 minutes and keep extracting fish.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby bass vixen » Sep Tue 29, 2015 4:43 pm

Nice ski and report.
bass vixen
Minnow

Postby coyote » Sep Tue 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Great story Mike.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby localyokal » Sep Wed 30, 2015 1:39 am

Nice ski Mike. Great story and read too. Always nice to hook into a big surprise fish. I've hooked 3 muskies while fishing for other fish and never came close to landing one. Glad you were able to get her in for a picture.
" Opportunities are missed by most people because they are dressed in overalls and look like work"
localyokal
Fishing Czar

Postby 41x9hirschj » Sep Wed 30, 2015 9:00 am

Muskies in skinny water are a blast, had a similar encounter last week in Minnesota. Nice fish!
41x9hirschj
Fishing Fanatic

Postby achotrod » Sep Wed 30, 2015 11:40 am

A heavy bass rod is not equivalent to a heavy musky rod. I would not suggest targeting muskies with bass gear. All you'll do is stress the fish more then needed and ruin your gear. Worst case kill the fish with a bite off or snap your 30# braid like 8lb mono
achotrod
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Zenfish » Sep Wed 30, 2015 11:43 am

achotrod wrote:A heavy bass rod is not equivalent to a heavy musky rod. I would not suggest targeting muskies with bass gear. All you'll do is stress the fish more then needed and ruin your gear. Worst case kill the fish with a bite off or snap your 30# braid like 8lb mono

Have any used musky rods for sale? :D
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. -John Buchan
Zenfish
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby 1080tommy » Sep Wed 30, 2015 1:03 pm

That's a nice ski!!!!! Great job landing it with light tackle!!!
1080tommy
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HnG » Sep Wed 30, 2015 6:53 pm

Nice job Mike!
HnG
Fishing Fanatic

Return to "Private" waters in Illinois