Pond fishing on a COLD night - 10/28

POst reports from those private lakes and ponds. No need to give up the location. Sometimes just knowing they're biting in a region can be a help to others.

Pond fishing on a COLD night - 10/28

Postby Woohoodude11 » Oct Sun 29, 2017 8:11 am

So the other day, I was asked to work a 12 hour shift today. I told my boss I would do it under one condition, if I could fish the small pond on property (no fishing allowed). He somehow agreed. This pond is smaller than some of your homes, but on breaks I walk around it and gauge where to expect fish depending on weather at different lakes I fish. I've seen tons of fish in there, mostly your cookie cutter 1 lb. bass but I've seen some big-uns and some MASSIVE bluegill, so It's been on my radar all year. Last night I decided to cash in my favor for just one hour.

I didn't want to bring attention to myself, I didn't want my boss to get any unneeded calls about someone fishing the pond, so I brought my caster with a whopper plopper tied on and my hook removal tools and myself. Started off slow, I was surprised as these fish have really never seen a lure before. But after the first fish hit, the action really didn't turn off. Hooked into a 1.5 lb'er first. It was pretty interesting that for my first 4 fish (oops, spoiler) I would get a hit but no hook up. Within the next 3 casts in the same area I'd get a better hit with the hook up. Also, you can tell the fish are turning over to cold water behavior, as opposed to a "blowup" the hits more resembled suction. A couple times I never even heard or saw the hit, just felt weight on the line. Also, the fish felt like blocks of ice! I didn't catch one fish under a pound (one was EXACTLY a pound but shh).

After an hour began approaching and when I noticed after the last fish I caught my nose was dripping, I decided it was time to start getting ready to go. Threw a few more casts and on what ended up being my last cast I hit the no-doubter. Set the hook and this one stayed on and...oh boy...we got a fighter. I started having flashbacks of that catfish in Buffalo Grove because I've never felt a fight like this from a bass. Flipped it on shore and I KNEW this was a PB. Got the hook out eerily easily, I could have lost this brute and would have been devastated. It weighed in at 3.4 lbs, almost a whole pound better than my previous! I didn't get lengths as it was pitch black out.

I know this was probably a one time only spot, but it felt good to have my best bass day of 2017 on a 40 degree night in a <1 acre pond.

Image20171028_185750 by Ryan Baranowski, on Flickr
1 Lb.
Image20171028_185033 by Ryan Baranowski, on Flickr
1.57 lbs
Image20171028_190427 by Ryan Baranowski, on Flickr
1.28 lbs
Image20171028_191334 by Ryan Baranowski, on Flickr
1.34 lbs
Image20171028_192430 by Ryan Baranowski, on Flickr
The Big Girl, 3.4 lbs.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Pond fishing on a COLD night - 10/28

Postby Flipper999 » Oct Sun 29, 2017 10:08 am

Sounds like a dream come true. I drive by a really small pond on private property off of Algonquin in Des Plaines that I like to imagine would produce something similar to what you got to experience. Your huge smile tells it all. Congrats!
Flipper999
Game Fish

Postby Woohoodude11 » Oct Sun 29, 2017 10:29 am

I was entering the catches in my log and found that I arrived at exactly 6:30, there was a 20 minute lull and first catch was 6:50, second was 7 minutes later at 6:57, third 7 minutes later at 7:04, fourth 9 minutes later at 7:13, and last was 10 minutes later at 7:23. Talk about non stop!
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Oct Sun 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Great job getting your new PB. Gotta love access to an untouched pond. Man you hold onto that top water bite later than anyone I know, lol. I wouldn’t have figured a WP in 40 degree weather in a million and 1 years. Congrats again.

Btw I’m seeing pics of your pounders but the 3 isn’t showing up
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Oct Sun 29, 2017 11:28 pm

Must be getting closer to 100 by now. FYI, I don't see anything in the first 3 photo boxes but do see your PB in the last box. This is the opposite of what Heddon mentioned. Empty boxes say the photo is no longer available
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Oct Mon 30, 2017 1:33 am

The only photo I can see here is the 1.34. The boxes above that are white but when you click on the photo I can see the photos on Flickr... still nothing to see or click on for the 3.04
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Oct Tue 31, 2017 12:47 am

Picture issue should be fixed. Like an idiot I put them on private because the pictures are geolocated on Flickr and I didn't want anyone showing up there, but I didn't realize that'd privatize the pics when I post them with BCC Code. Turns out, they're not geolocated where I was anyway!

Vman, I am currently at 94. Hopefully that changes by the next time I post. Really getting to crunch time for me as I'll only be able to fish on my days off. I notice the second to last picture it looks like I'm crying, the bitter cold was making my eyes tear up! Hoping for at least another couple 50-60 degree days to get this 100 out of the way.

Heddon, 3.40...not 3.04 :wink: Also (responding to an older comment) I didn't see myself catching a muskie on a 90 WP at 1 PM on a sunny 77 degree day, but we don't make the rules, the fish do!
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby crankybass » Oct Tue 31, 2017 11:39 pm

Woohoodude11,

I think that we're going to have to give you an additional posting name--Ninjabassmaster. That is a nice bass you landed in some fairly challenging conditions. It is the biggest drag about living in northern Illinois, that most of the small ponds and lakes are off limits to fishing.

crankybass
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Nov Wed 01, 2017 8:46 am

crankybass wrote: the biggest drag about living in northern Illinois, that most of the small ponds and lakes are off limits to fishing

Amen to that.

well... that and the cook tax rate :roll:
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to "Private" waters in Illinois