Pond 3/3/18

POst reports from those private lakes and ponds. No need to give up the location. Sometimes just knowing they're biting in a region can be a help to others.

Pond 3/3/18

Postby KankRat » Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:08 pm

First time using the "Ned Rig".
Hard to rig, but tough once you do. Very unique action, due to the jig shape and highly buoyant plastic. Fishing very slow, got one about 15". My son was throwing a rattle bait, got skunked. Co-worker was using an ultra-light with a 1" Gulp minnow. He was catching a good number of 'gills.

ImageFirst Fish 2018 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Pond 3/3/18

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:11 pm

If that's only 15", that's a gorgeous 15 incher. Nice job hookin one from shore, I think I speak on behalf of a good chunk of this board that the shore fishing has still been a tough go.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Fri 09, 2018 8:42 pm

A not quite spring yet bass, excellent.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby KankRat » Mar Fri 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:If that's only 15", that's a gorgeous 15 incher. Nice job hookin one from shore, I think I speak on behalf of a good chunk of this board that the shore fishing has still been a tough go.

Thanks guys,
Yeah, it's at best 15". Might be giving myself more credit than actually due. In real life it looked like a much skinnier fish to me.
Measuring is depressing and the perspective of the pic is distorted by being taken from a cellphone (wide angle lens) slightly above me.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby matt_ski » Mar Fri 09, 2018 9:03 pm

I dont know man. Your hand looks pretty small next to its mouth.

Nice fish! Cant wait till end of the momth when i actually will have time to fish
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Sat 10, 2018 12:29 am

It’s either an optical illusion or that’s the biggest stick worm I’ve ever seen on a ned rig...I like! Nice early bass
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jmdog2003 » Mar Sat 10, 2018 7:16 am

Nice man! Good to see an open water larry.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Mar Sat 10, 2018 8:05 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:It’s either an optical illusion or that’s the biggest stick worm I’ve ever seen on a ned rig...I like! Nice early bass

it's a 4" worm.

The photo was taken with my iPhone. The camera has a wide angle lens. Wide angle lenses distort perspective. Go Pro's have a super wide angle almost fish eye lens. Know how they distort everything? Same thing on a lesser degree. The closer an object is to the lens the larger it will appear and things farther away appear to be much farther away. My son is taking the picture. He is taller than me and standing a bit above me. So the the perspective is looking down on me. The closest thing in the picture is the worm followed by the fish my hand>head>torso>waist.

Because the worm is about 2" in front of my hand it also appears disproportionately larger. My son is standing pretty close to me to fill the frame and that exaggerates the perspective distortion even further.
None of this was intentional, the sun was so glaring I couldn't even see the lcd, or I probably would have had him re-take it.
so point being, it's pretty hard to judge the size of a fish by a picture. Most lenses do this to some degree so if the fish is the thing closest to the lens it will appear a little larger.
Hence the fish looks larger than it actually is.

First fish of the year for me and it snowed the next day so I am just happy to catch a bnass regardless of the size.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby KankRat » Mar Sat 10, 2018 8:19 am

Look at this example. There are many on the web. When you shoot portraits, typically you use a telephoto because it compresses the image- which is the opposite of what a wide angle does. So this series is going from a wide angle to a telephoto. Look at how unflattering the image taken with wide-angle is. Her nose looks gigantic.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... RM5TCEQ7CM

for the record, I don't mind wide angle distortion, provided the person is not trying to mislead. They make cool shots.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Scipio24 » Mar Sat 10, 2018 9:32 am

Nice fish. I like the coloring of the photo as well (assuming a filter was used).
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Postby HEDDONFROG » Mar Sat 10, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks Kank. Dramatic differences shown on that link. The cameras we use for work default to 24mm and I always train and tell my people they have to stand back and zoom in to over 50mm to get that fisheye-ish look out of the image. It also flattens the image somewhat on the corner angle shots.

Btw yeah, 4” worm is normal, it just looks like a 6” magnum senko lol
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Mar Sat 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Now that you mention all of that, the hand holding the rod looks smaller than the hand holding the fish. Or I'm just nuts. My fiancé is a professional photographer and I'm slowly but surely learning the craft. Slowly being the key word.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FISHdank » Mar Tue 13, 2018 7:50 am

Good looking early season bass!
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to "Private" waters in Illinois