River Dump

POst reports from those private lakes and ponds. No need to give up the location. Sometimes just knowing they're biting in a region can be a help to others.

River Dump

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Sun 10, 2018 6:42 pm

No, I do not care if anyone has ever taken a dump in a river. This is a picture dump from 3 days of river fishing, and besides we all have anyway...

Friday drive home and make usual detour for a pike on the river somewhere.

IMG_20180610_22930.jpg

Saturday caught a mix of fish on the Fox with bassman29. First time this year getting out with bassman29, always a weird time, in a good way.

IMG_20180610_11829.jpg

IMG_20180610_22193.jpg

IMG_20180610_5017.jpg

Sunday hit the des plaines river in the rain for couple hours. First time on the river this year in the 58 year old canoe. Verdict: she floats.

IMG_20180610_57720.jpg

IMG_20180610_4154.jpg
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: River Dump

Postby Busse Jim » Jun Sun 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Nice variety of fish! :clap:
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Sun 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Ahh taking advantage of early summer brown water guiding. So 5 species it looks any white bass or crops?
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby rigmewacky » Jun Sun 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Nice dump! Good to see Bman out. Nice multi species outings.
"Fish, for sport only, not for meat. Fish meat is practically a vegetable." -Ron Swanson
rigmewacky
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jun Mon 11, 2018 1:58 am

Dang, Cracker Jack outings...never know what secret surprise is in the river. Great post Aux
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jmdog2003 » Jun Mon 11, 2018 5:46 am

Fishing in chocolate milk and still getting it done :clap: :thumbup:
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 11, 2018 5:50 am

Great report. For the record the DPR is probably the only place I haven't taken a dump! :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Jun Mon 11, 2018 8:36 am

dumping with bassman :thumbup:
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FISHdank » Jun Mon 11, 2018 10:38 am

Very good few outings I wanna see the pic of what Kevin had for lunch that day on the river. I think it was under the bridge. :-D :moresarcasm:
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:First time on the river this year in the 58 year old canoe. Verdict: she floats.

Grumman? It would take a direct hit from a shore battery to sink one of those. :thumbup:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Tue 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Rambler wrote: It would take a direct hit from a shore battery to sink one of those.

Same as the defense contractor? Did they use to make canoes?
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Phil6 wrote:Same as the defense contractor? Did they use to make canoes?

Yes. Unfortunately when they merged with (forget who) they stopped making them. Or they might have stopped before then. They are bullet-proof. My only complaint about them has always been that - like all (?) aluminum boats they're noisy. They're also more susceptible to acid rain than boats made of synthetics.

Back when the Chicagoland Canoe Base was still open & renting canoes most of their rentals were Grummans. I guess Ralph figured even the clumsiest 'canoeists' couldn't do them much damage.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Tue 12, 2018 3:35 pm

Yea, shes a 1960 Grumman. I'm just getting a few floats out of it before I pass it along. Skifish1's Uncle John, aka U.J., was the real owner. Judging by the stickers on the hull from Provincial Parks all over Canada during the 1960s, this boat has been to some really awesome bodies of water.

20180612_153636.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Tue 12, 2018 9:14 pm

That canoe was used to guide many multiweek trips up tin quetico my uncle use to guide youth hostel groups up there and fishing was so good pretty simple setup camp in evening go out paddle for an hour and back with pike or walleye for dinner. Hell or high water i have to fish out of it sometime this year to catch a pike. I just committed myself i guess LOl. Been a lot of years since ive been in that canoe probably was scorched on sugar creek in indiana if my memory serves me..
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Wed 13, 2018 6:05 am

Grumman was acquired by Northrup in 1994. Shame they stopped making canoes.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Wed 13, 2018 8:46 am

Rambler wrote:Grumman was acquired by Northrup in 1994. Shame they stopped making canoes.

I always found it interesting that they also made these little guys-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brett » Jun Wed 13, 2018 9:03 am

Rambler wrote:Grumman was acquired by Northrup in 1994. Shame they stopped making canoes.

Northrup-Grumman has big facility in Rolling Meadows for military projects now. I used to work for another local outfit as a sub contractor to them on the maintenance program for the US and Dutch Air Forces' KC-10 fleets (Aerial refueling tankers).
Lots of cool stuff. There is a rack of old Grumman canoes at Opeka I always walk by and think to myself wouldn't it be cool if they still made personal watercraft/fishing vessels. They might even be able to put something together that would rival some WCF members customized Hobies :lol:
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Wed 13, 2018 9:22 am

Not sure how much of the same design exists but in theory you can buy new Grumman canoes from the new owner marathon boat conpany
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Jun Wed 13, 2018 9:23 am

Rambler wrote:Grumman? It would take a direct hit from a shore battery to sink one of those.

I have a 17 ft Grumman, over 50 yrs old. It weighs 85 lb if I remember correctly. Very sturdy watercraft. Shaped aluminum with rivets - not much different than an airplane body. They leveraged their manufacturing expertise.

Too heavy for me solo - I now have a plastic yak. As was said so well the movie "The Graduate": "plastics .... there is a great future in plastics".

In my youth, while at Boy Scout Canoe Base Summer Camp in northern WI, saw a 17' Grumman they kept as a souvenir. Some scouts swamped one while on a river with some flow then wrapped it around a tree amidships. The bow and the stern were just about touching. It was an amazing visual safety lesson.

Aux:
Those stickers remind me of the collection we put on our Nimrod popup camper, also aluminum. One from every state or National Park we had been in. I think we made it to 28 of the lower 48 states during my junior & senior high years. My dad's philosophy was see America first. I am glad he did - I got to see some amazingly beautiful places. Fond memories.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jun Wed 13, 2018 10:01 am

Phil6 wrote:I always found it interesting that they also made these little guys-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_LLV

Phil - as it is said, one cannot live by bread (or jet fighters) alone. I remember visiting Glenview Naval Air Station (where Glenview Lake is now) as a Cub Scout & sitting in the cockpit of a Grumman Panther. Google it.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Wed 13, 2018 10:35 am

badger75 wrote:The bow and the stern were just about touching. It was an amazing visual safety lesson.

That river must've had a heavy flow going on to do that to a Grumman. And kudos to you on your ancient boat. I have 40+ year old Old Town (12') and Hollowform (16.5') and I thought they were long in the tooth...

Old shit rocks...just like old farts.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to "Private" waters in Illinois