Sunday 4/5

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

Sunday 4/5

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Mon 06, 2020 6:28 am

Going to give outing by outing updates incase I end up on a ventilator, which nowadays is a nice way of saying you're being put in a coma you won't recover from.

Made my way through the thick crowds on the trail to the river Sunday. Everyone was out swapping droplets with one another, whole families made up the majority. The type of folks who may visit a preserve once a year seem to be doing it daily since all this started.

Any who, I got a couple bass on a black jackhammer with a black powerbait toad trailer. The water was severely stained and pretty dam high. Also got 2 pike, one with the jackhammer and the other with a kvd Squarebill.

Water temps 48-49 degrees.

IMG_20200406_23177.jpg

2nd pic of the same massive slob-o-saurus largemouth.

IMG_20200406_35339.jpg

IMG_20200406_48316.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Sunday 4/5

Postby joetrain » Apr Mon 06, 2020 6:43 am

Even though I don’t live there anymore I still monitor the river water levels. Chalk it up to old age and not much of a life. I’m on the Rambler program. Granddaughter duties daily and fishing couple days a week too.

The level appears to be dropping some but still pretty high in your area. Nice work weaving your way through the crowds and putting some fish in the yak.

Pretty much spot on with the ventilator/coma comment. I have first hand experience watching my sister literally go from healthy to dead in one week due to the flu which turned into pneumonia which caused her to be hospitalized where she was infected with sepsis. It’s not a pretty sight.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Apr Mon 06, 2020 7:32 am

Man the quality bass you get out of the DPR is unreal.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brandon » Apr Mon 06, 2020 8:02 am

That’s a tank of a bass. Wow!!
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Apr Mon 06, 2020 8:56 am

Wow nice fish!! Colder water than I would have thought but it is a river flowing from WI so I should readjust my thinking =)

Regarding the crowding...I have no idea why people are making it a mission to get out like they have never done before...as if they were all hardcore outdoor enthusiasts before this started and they are itching to get back out to their training for that next Formula 1 foot race event! I train for bike races and run on the regular normally and I am doing the opposite of what I normally do just to avoid the sweaty shits on the paths with their dog on the 20' leash and kids on wiggly scooters....go back to your Netflix and video games!!

Joe...I really hope your sister gets better!!!
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Apr Mon 06, 2020 9:03 am

Nice bass---pretty pike! :clap:

joetrain wrote:I’m on the Rambler program.

What's a case of Ensure going for now? I'd imagine the price gougers have driven it up through the roof by now with the crisis all around.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Apr Mon 06, 2020 9:46 am

Pfly that was a few years ago. She didn’t make it. Life is fragile but we take it for granted.

No Ensure for me heck I’m not on any medication either. I started juicing every morning. Some concoction my wife blends up. It taste great and I guess it’s good for me. Watch the documentary “ Sick, fat and nearly dead” it will give you a whole new outlook.

And yeah again I say nice fish.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Apr Mon 06, 2020 10:55 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Made my way through the thick crowds on the trail to the river Sunday. Everyone was out swapping droplets with one another, whole families made up the majority. The type of folks who may visit a preserve once a year seem to be doing it daily since all this started.

Sad commentary but I can truly see that happening. I hope you and your family and friends stay safe.

Monster bass and nice pike btw.

I'm already thinking about sneaky ways to get to my smallie and musky rivers without the dnr and LEOs seeing my tire tracks on some dirt roads. Half the areas are covered by strick stay at home orders, I imagine other areas I fish will be covered by stay at home orders as well. Certainly if I have others at my spots, I'll head back. Brings me back to my ninja fishing days but on public land.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Apr Mon 06, 2020 11:42 am

Great fish man

polishfly wrote:Regarding the crowding...I have no idea why people are making it a mission to get out like they have never done before

Limited shopping outlets, sports and other events may be a contributor.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Mon 06, 2020 12:19 pm

Joetrain my belated condolences. It's a sad situation the way people are going now. No loved ones by your side, no wake or funeral. I just can't help and feel for all the people out of work now with no pay. Unemployment offices are so backed up no one can even get their claim in to collect. Sure a bank may let you defer some mortgage payments, but come next winter you might be paying double on your monthly mortgage statement while making the same wages you made before. This shutdown is crippling for millions. I even worry about the desperation that is only to come. You think robbery and crime was bad before, look out...
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Apr Mon 06, 2020 10:13 pm

Hot dang, any 5 lb largies for you out of that river yet? I don't think I've stuck a 19"er out of there yet. But man, this makes me want to head south to the Des Plaines to open my season there.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Apr Mon 06, 2020 10:33 pm

True horse bass.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Apr Mon 06, 2020 11:39 pm

jmdog2003 wrote:Hot dang, any 5 lb largies for you out of that river yet? I don't think I've stuck a 19"er out of there yet. But man, this makes me want to head south to the Des Plaines to open my season there.

I can't imagine that bass not being over 5. Got the length & definitely the girth.

Awesome outing Aux. She is a real beauty. Jen and I have been seeing seldom used, off the beaten path forest preserves we frequently take walks at, totally overrun with the scenes you painted. The ones that get me are the overweight people on electric scooters lol
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Tue 07, 2020 3:23 am

jmdog2003 wrote:Hot dang, any 5 lb largies for you out of that river yet? I don't think I've stuck a 19"er out of there yet. But man, this makes me want to head south to the Des Plaines to open my season there.

Many.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Apr Tue 07, 2020 7:20 am

Yeah she had the look, that's why I asked. Good thing happening on that river.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ccorso » Apr Fri 10, 2020 8:38 pm

What a belly on that one! Please keep the updates coming, in times like these we can't afford to wait for a monthly report from you!
ccorso
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Bearhorse » Apr Wed 15, 2020 5:38 pm

I've never fished the Des Plaines river before... for my first time out, does anyone have a suggestion on where I should start?

I will be shore fishing, and coming from NW side of Chicago but just looking for good spots to throw a lure (hopefully with some success)

Thanks!
Bearhorse

Postby Rambler » Apr Wed 15, 2020 6:32 pm

From the NW side I'd head out Lawrence & park in the lot on the south side of the road. Plenty of opportunities there.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Des Plaines River