Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Peddle Drive Kayak on the DPR

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Grain 
#1 ·
Hope everyone has been enjoying their summer so far. a couple of months ago i got my 1st Pedal drive kayak. i have been having on a blast on it but i have been staying on small ponds locally.

i have not gone to one of my favorite spots which is the DPR all summer because of this. i used to frequent the River up north and remember it would get really shallow in some areas . has anyone here ever taken out a Foot Pedal kayak on the DPR? how did you do out there? my primary concern is the depth and it becoming very shallow too often . im mainly looking for spots to avoid or what to look out for. i am on a old town topwater 106 PDL. i have always thought that if i stay on the deeper side i should be okay . thought it would be great to go upstream and then focus on fishing while floating back to my car . i have seen people with trolling motors out there on occasion. appreciate your time.

#2 ·
I used my Hobie all the time on the DPR before I moved. Generally no problem. My yak gets shallow about 6-8 inches. Biggest issue was branches lurking beneath the surface. Still not a problem though if you don't mind banging off of an obstruction. I don't recall ever having to get out and walk it.

Get out there and give it a go.
~JOE~

#3 ·
I don't have a peddle drive kayak but I do have a small boat with a trolling motor that I use on the DPR a lot. I do hit bottom and submerged timber ( timber more than bottom ) from time to time. Even with water clarity that is at best poor I can usually see shallow spots and avoid them.
The issue I encounter is weeds fouling my prop and once a huge run of broken fishing line ( that wasn't fun... ). It's not bad with a trolling motor to remove veg fouling my prop. I'm not sure how the peddle drive system does in weeds.
I say bring a backup paddle and give it a go!

#4 ·
Not north of Dam #2, at least past Dam#1. Whats the point now! North of cook or half day north due-able some of the way. :lol:
South of D-2, Same old nice depths, But got to be faster now. Me myself, i worry i''ll never make it back to d-2 if i go south. thats my range, Aux pleines can enlighten you on the other 98% :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.