Tips for first time canoeing DPR?

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

Re: Tips for first time canoeing DPR?

Postby deaddog » May Thu 07, 2020 11:12 pm

Great advice on the lagoons. It was fantastic - way more interesting the Big Bend. Saw a few blue herons and a bunch of turtles And very well protected from the wind - which was a good thing because in the areas that were a bit wider open, the wind was pushing me around pretty hard. I went north of Tower to the dam and then a bit south, just circling the first island.
deaddog
Minnow

Postby Rambler » May Fri 08, 2020 8:30 am

Glad you enjoyed it. I went to a funeral for an old friend (not from COVID) in Evanston yesterday. After it was over I drove up to the 'goons for a look-see. Ate a sandwich & walked along #5. Water looks pretty clear & it'll probably be a few more weeks before the weeds get really bad.

Might have to do some shore fishing there next week.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby deaddog » May Fri 08, 2020 11:04 am

I actually thought it was pretty weedy - lots of surface floaters - with my poor technique I was tossing strands everywhere!!!
deaddog
Minnow

Postby Rambler » May Fri 08, 2020 11:45 am

In bad years it gets worse. The west channel south of the launch in particular. Doesn't necessarily effect the fishing.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby threeats407 » May Sat 09, 2020 4:28 pm

deaddog wrote:So, I went out on Big Bend today to get a feel for the new canoe. It was awesome. Stable, handled well, pretty fast with a double paddle. The lake was smaller than I expected but since I was the only one on the water, there was a lot of room! Thinking of going to Busse tomorrow - but seeing big wind in the forecast.

Question - looks like lots of big islands with trees in Busse - does that tend to cut the wind down a bit for canoe/kayaking?

Thanks

Keep in mind you can get into the river from Big Bend but I assume you saw the spot.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby deaddog » May Sun 10, 2020 3:37 pm

thanks, yep I saw the BB opening into DPR. But I decided to stay off the river for now - on the drive up I saw at least one bridge with only about 6" of clearance and decided I'd wait until the level drops a few feet.
deaddog
Minnow

Postby Rambler » May Sun 10, 2020 5:28 pm

Bridges are no prob when the water's low but be cautious near dams. Pretty sure the ones at Touhy & Devon are still there.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » May Sun 10, 2020 9:41 pm

Rambler wrote:Bridges are no prob when the water's low but be cautious near dams. Pretty sure the ones at Touhy & Devon are still there.

Nah, those aren't dams, more like speed bumps. They add a little excitement to a otherwise no thrill float.

Me and the old man going over dam #4 between Devon and Higgins.

Screenshot_20200510-213648_Instagram.jpg

Both dam #3 & #4 have a stepped canoe shute. Dam #3s shute is on east bank. Dam #4s shute is on the west bank. But it is still fairly easy to just run it straight on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Mushroom13 » Apr Tue 27, 2021 12:01 am

I agree, there are lots of surface floaters, and it's weedy. And, those aren't dams, more because of the like speed bumps, it is easy enough to run it straight on. I would like to go somewhere where are no weed beds, garbage in the river, and is beautiful nature around. Indeed, owning a canoe is an incredible experience. Unfortunately, our is too old, and I'm looking for a new one. I found some valuable reviews on outdoorlifecafe.com. But to tell the truth, I want to take the best, but I'm confused about my choice.
Mushroom13

Postby oldsalt » Apr Tue 27, 2021 4:55 pm

Wadsworth launch,Go north,you will not see a soul,river narrows to 15ft,with weed beds , gravel bottom area's , no smell,no garbage in the river.You also have STERLING LAKE there,crystal clear lake ,clean no garbage,stay out of the city.You can run the river up into Wisconsin.
oldsalt
Fishing Czar

Previous

Return to Des Plaines River