DPR Boat Launch with small trailer?

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

DPR Boat Launch with small trailer?

Postby BrookeT » Jul Sat 13, 2019 11:14 am

Hi All,
Long time lurker, first time poster. Love the site, great info that I hope to contribute to soon!
I did a search for DPR Boat Launch sites and didn't find a whole lot. I have a small Stealthcraft drift boat, 11ft long, on a small trailer. I've launched a few times at the at Van Patten, Sedge Meadows, and Wright Woods on Route 60 with the trailer and have not had any trouble.
Is the only small trailer accessible DPR launch at Plank Road? I looked at the Irving Park and Allison Woods launch sites and I think I can get my trailer down them. Is it allowed or will the Forest Preserve Police hassle me?
I would love opinions on best sections to float for productive pike and bass fishing too.
Thanks in advance!
BrookeT

Re: DPR Boat Launch with small trailer?

Postby Rambler » Jul Sat 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Have you checked out Dam #2? South of Euclid off River Rd.

Then again, Aux is the DPR expert.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby BrookeT » Jul Sat 13, 2019 12:57 pm

I haven’t but I’m wide open. Thank you for the tip, Rambler!
BrookeT

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Sat 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Whoa! Impressive to hear you trailer launched at rt 60 :shock: Too steep for me to try. Try Oak Spring rd if you can handle the steep bank.

Avoid Irving park, there is a one of those in ground folding road blockers there. And when it's down the launch is total mud pie anyway. In that neighborhood I would launch at non-official launches.

Non official launches:

Park Ridge- Riverside Drive & Sibley Ave. Can get trailer down to the river under the 294 tollway for a nice stoney landing.

River Grove:

Belmont Avenue bridge, Northeast side, can back down to the river for a nice stoney landing. Small parking available.

Grand Avenue Bridge, a little more sketchy, you have to drive on park grass to back down on a nice gravelly bank. SE side of bridge.

Official launches:

Plank Road or Ogden as you mentioned. Russel Rd as you mentioned. Wadsworth Rd as you mentioned.

Also the Jeans Rd launch in Burr Ridge is a nice one. Just east of the rt 83 bridge over the river.

Btw, I know there are many more launches for canoes and kayaks, but these I mentioned because they are good for trailer launching.

2 more launches in Joliet that I'll leave out, because I'm pretty sure I'm trespassing when I use them.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby BrookeT » Jul Sat 13, 2019 8:29 pm

THANK YOU!! Fantastic info; I really appreciate the assist!
BrookeT

Postby BrookeT » Jul Sat 13, 2019 8:36 pm

Any preference for best stretch for fishing? Really want a good stretch for northern?
BrookeT

Postby Skifish1 » Jul Sun 14, 2019 4:56 am

Pike are from Wisconsin down to northern Will county. Every mile of the river has pike in this range. That's a lot of miles of river to target pike.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Sun 14, 2019 8:46 am

I forgot to mention Dam #1. You can put in at the old Hintz Rd ford on either side of the river. Since the dam is gone you can go up or down stream. There's pike in either direction. If you go upstream there's a marshy area on the west before you get to the Euclid bridge that holds LMBs. If you go under the bridge there's another marshy area on the east that also holds bass. Both areas dry out in low water.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » Jul Sun 14, 2019 11:37 am

You might check the launch site at Wright Woods. I think the last time I was there that little vehicle block post was down. There is also a big cement launch area at Big Bend Lake. I'm not familiar really with the boat you have or how easy it is to drag a short ways. If it's doable just head across Big Bend to the cement spillway that slopes down into the DP river. You can go from there north or south a long ways. That spillway is cement with ridges but very slick.

Correction: Allison woods not Wright Woods but with the dams gone you may as well just go in at dam #2. Unless something has changed drastically though, you will encounter an abrupt end to your southward journey real fast how ever.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Sun 14, 2019 4:20 pm

Rambler wrote:I forgot to mention Dam #1. You can put in at the old Hintz Rd ford on either side of the river. Since the dam is gone you can go up or down stream. There's pike in either direction. If you go upstream there's a marshy area on the west before you get to the Euclid bridge that holds LMBs. If you go under the bridge there's another marshy area on the east that also holds bass. Both areas dry out in low water.

You're confusing dam 1 and dam 2.. Euclid is south of Hintz. Also , you cant trailer launch at Dam 1. Parking curbs block the access for trailers.

Dam 2 is good. Just be careful on the loose kitty litter.

IMG_20160723_28211.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby BrookeT » Jul Sun 14, 2019 8:12 pm

You all are great; thank you for the info! I’m going to try a few of the spots and I will post an update this week.
BrookeT

Postby Rambler » Jul Tue 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:You're confusing dam 1 and dam 2.. Euclid is south of Hintz. Also , you cant trailer launch at Dam 1. Parking curbs block the access for trailers.

Dam 2 is good. Just be careful on the loose kitty litter.

Aux: When someone (especially a younger person) tells me I'm confused I take it to heart. I'm the 1st to admit this getting old shit has its challenges - both mental and physical.

So I reviewed my previous posts and can't figure out what you're talking about. In my 1st post I recommended Dam #2 & say that it's south of Euclid off of River Rd. In my 2nd post I recommended Dam #1 & indicate that it's at Hintz Rd. So #1 + Hintz, #2 + Euclid. Or am I missing something?

As for launching at #1, you're correct that it's not possible to back a trailer in there (on either side) and float your boat. But Brooke has a "small trailer & boat". The boat in question is an 11' Stealthcraft. So I made the assumption - and I could be wrong here - that it would be possible to back a trailer to the river's edge & pull the boat off & into the river. Getting it back onto the trailer might be a bit problematic. :D But that's not my problem. :lol:

So I'm giving us a 50/50 of this one.

BTW - I actually visited #1 on both sides of the river today to check it out. Also visited #2 on the Camp Pine side. Shocking how much the river has changed since the dam came out.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Capten » Jul Tue 16, 2019 9:36 pm

A kayak or a canoe would be preferable heading downstream from Dam #1 or #2. When the dams came out, the water level went so low it might not be feasable even for a small 11' boat.
Capten
Minnow

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Wed 17, 2019 5:57 am

Capten wrote:A kayak or a canoe would be preferable heading downstream from Dam #1 or #2. When the dams came out, the water level went so low it might not be feasable even for a small 11' boat.

The draft on my jon boat is the same as my kayak. And BrookeT has a drift boat, those do well in very shallow water as well.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Phil6 » Jul Wed 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Aux Pleins wrote: And BrookeT has a drift boat

Doin some PNW drift fly fishing for some extra toothy trout? :think: :clap:
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby BrookeT » Aug Wed 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Quick update: launched from Wadsworth Monday, 8/5. Wanted to reach Des Plaines Lake but there is a log jam about a 1/4 mile ( pure guess-timate ) after Mill Creek and foot bridge that I couldn't get through. The same jam was there last year. Would alerting LCFP do any good to get it removed? I don't have a chainsaw or I would attempt to cut through it.
Anyway, on to the fishing. Pretty slow day. Caught one northern on a mega bass shad swim bait on a 1/4 oz weighted hook with a willow blade spinner, small, mid teens, wasn't worth a picture. Then got my first bowfin on the same bait. Would have snapped a pic but he came unhooked at the boat while I was prepping camera. Both were caught at Mill Creek confluence. I will post more when I try the launches you all recommended.
BrookeT

Postby Rambler » Aug Wed 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Very cool.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Aug Wed 07, 2019 10:11 pm

No need to contact LCFP about blockages the river stewards know where they all are (official volunteer group) it's just a matter of them getting to them. There are more blockages then people realize plus the high water in spring and into summer has made it hard to get to them.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Thu 08, 2019 2:46 am

Well aware of that blockage. Sunday we are getting out to do some cutting, but haven't decided on which blockage we are heading to yet.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Aug Thu 08, 2019 6:33 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Whoa! Impressive to hear you trailer launched at rt 60 :shock: Too steep for me to try.

With levels low, it's INSANELY steep and long now too. That's crazy to me and super daring. Good luck getting out on the river from there now, though...the channel from the launch bay to the river is almost pure mud right now.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » Aug Thu 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Skifish1 wrote:No need to contact LCFP about blockages the river stewards know where they all are (official volunteer group) it's just a matter of them getting to them. There are more blockages then people realize plus the high water in spring and into summer has made it hard to get to them.

If that one between dam#2 and Central is still there and grown since the last time I saw it it should be big enough to put a couple homes on by now. That was the one where I learned the hard way not to get too close with the kayak.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Fri 09, 2019 10:16 am

threeats407 wrote:
Skifish1 wrote:No need to contact LCFP about blockages the river stewards know where they all are (official volunteer group) it's just a matter of them getting to them. There are more blockages then people realize plus the high water in spring and into summer has made it hard to get to them.

If that one between dam#2 and Central is still there and grown since the last time I saw it it should be big enough to put a couple homes on by now. That was the one where I learned the hard way not to get too close with the kayak.

Cook county volunteers are heading there tomorrow (Saturday).
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Phil6 » Aug Fri 09, 2019 11:49 am

threeats407 wrote:That was the one where I learned the hard way not to get too close with the kayak.

Story time?
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby threeats407 » Aug Sat 10, 2019 10:25 am

Phil6 wrote:
threeats407 wrote:That was the one where I learned the hard way not to get too close with the kayak.

Story time?

No big story really. Basically the whole river was trying to flow through whatever small openings it could find in that mega jam. So when you get too close with the kayak you get sucked against it sideways it like some monster force field. It did take some time to finally maneuver myself away and break free. A young kid may not have been able to.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby threeats407 » Aug Sat 10, 2019 10:32 am

Aux Pleins wrote:
threeats407 wrote:

Cook county volunteers are heading there tomorrow (Saturday).

Ah so it is still there. I have not been on this year at all. There are also old concrete footings on the west side by Central I have been curious about. Old aerial photos were no help.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Sat 10, 2019 11:46 am

Threats I know the old concrete you're speaking of. Right on the bend there. Behind what is now a really weird monastery/ 'nunrery'. My guess it was an old patio, for a nice scenic view of the river. That was definitely ruined by the emergence of the giant landfill that eventually took over the opposite side of the river.

I get really interested in the old structures along the river, most of which are unrecognizable or collapsed. The one along Milwaukee Ave at Allison Woods was the old gondola patio for the Villa Venice that was there during the mobs hey days. Sam Giancana sort of ran the place and the Rat Pack along with other big names had performed there.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby threeats407 » Aug Sat 10, 2019 12:02 pm

That's as good a guess as any. I had thought it may have been part of an old bridge but Central shows up on very early aerial shots. Correct about the Villa Venice. I ran across a photo once of one of the gondolas. So obviously you have seen the headstone remnants just south of there a hundred yards or so/
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Grain » Aug Tue 13, 2019 11:56 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:Good luck getting out on the river from there now, though...the channel from the launch bay to the river is almost pure mud right now.

Can still make it through in the kayak, I think.
Grain
Game Fish

Postby Woohoodude11 » Aug Wed 14, 2019 10:35 am

Grain wrote:Can still make it through in the kayak, I think.

That little bit of rain we got might have helped, but right before I posted that it was straight mud. You could see footsteps and drag lines from someone portaging through.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Des Plaines River