New to fishing

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

New to fishing

Postby dsw1204 » Sep Wed 11, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi, I am new to fishing and want to fish the Des Plaines River, probably around the Lemont area. I hear Northern Pike are somewhat prevalent in the river. Are Pike the most prevalent? If so, what are the best lures to use? If not, what fish are the most abundant in the river?

For Pike, I was planning on using some Mepps Giant Killer spinners and maybe some square bill crankbaits. Any other recommendations?
dsw1204

Re: New to fishing

Postby joetrain » Sep Wed 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Try some big Rapala minnow type baits like model J13. Spoons are a good choice and the good old jig/twister combination.

Your best bet is to search this site and see what all the DPR guys have used. There are plenty of posts to glean info from.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby dsw1204 » Sep Wed 11, 2019 5:52 pm

joetrain wrote:Try some big Rapala minnow type baits like model J13. Spoons are a good choice and the good old jig/twister combination.

Your best bet is to search this site and see what all the DPR guys have used. There are plenty of posts to glean info from.
~JOE~
Thanks for the info. Are pike the most populous fish in the Des Plaines River? How about smallmouth? Are there good numbers of them in the river?
dsw1204

Postby Grain » Sep Wed 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Grain
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Sep Wed 11, 2019 8:03 pm

What Joe said. Buzzbaits work in flat water and spinner baits are a good bet too. And don't forget chatterbaits.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Sep Thu 12, 2019 1:21 am

Welcome to the WCF.
DPR will be a mess with all the rain we are having. Not sure if you plan to shore, wade or float it but you will find plenty of pike and LMB most places. You will also find plenty of items to snag on but don't get discouraged, just don't use your favorite or high dollar lures until you know the area your fishing unless you have a way to retrieve them.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Woohoodude11 » Sep Thu 12, 2019 7:01 am

Down south there you'll run into a few smallies, probably not the same numbers as the Dupage but they're there. There's Pike, Largemouth, Gar, and Bowfin as well and the obvious carp and such. I've never targeted Pike on the DPR but I've caught pike 3:1 to Bass, They're ravenous predators that'll strike anything near their face. I'm not a huge river fisherman though, there's several guys here that'll have way more useful info than me that'll chime in any minute now :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Grain » Sep Thu 12, 2019 7:37 am

vman01 wrote:DPR will be a mess with all the rain we are having...

On Tuesday I scouted some nice-looking and reasonably accessible shore spots and now the gauge is 3 feet up.
Grain
Game Fish

Postby ccorso » Sep Thu 12, 2019 10:39 am

dsw1204 wrote:For Pike, I was planning on using some Mepps Giant Killer spinners

That's my go-to lure for most of the year, but as other have said lots of other stuff will work
ccorso
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Sep Thu 12, 2019 10:57 am

In line spinner is a good choice. Giant killer is a great bait. Kind of expensive if you lose it to a snag. I also have done well on bigger paddle tail plastics rigged on a jig or weighted hook and I usually had a rod ready with a large fluke style bait plastic rigged weightless. I would use it as a follow up lure for fish that would flash at a lure but not make the commitment.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Des Plaines River