Lawrence DPR

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

Lawrence DPR

Postby DPMike » Sep Tue 15, 2020 10:07 pm

Any one ever give it a go where the Crystal Creek comes into DPR. Worthwhile?
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Re: Lawrence DPR

Postby Rambler » Sep Wed 16, 2020 6:03 am

Used to fish there regularly. One time I saw 2 pike swimming upstream next to each other. Threw a Mepps - bad cast, it landed behind them. But one of them turned around & nailed it! Around 26-28".
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Wed 16, 2020 7:39 am

That confluence isn't the greatest. But have lots of success just upstream of it. On either side of the Lawrence bridge that is. Spent a couple outings making a small rock eddy underneath that bridge as well 8)
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby DPMike » Sep Wed 16, 2020 4:01 pm

I'm gonna give it a try Friday after work. Will report back
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Wed 16, 2020 5:34 pm

DPMike wrote:I'm gonna give it a try Friday after work. Will report back

If you feel up to the task, walk the rubble rock under the bridge and hit the culvert pipe on the north east side of the bridge.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby DPMike » Sep Wed 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:
DPMike wrote:I'm gonna give it a try Friday after work. Will report back

If you feel up to the task, walk the rubble rock under the bridge and hit the culvert pipe on the north east side of the bridge.

I'll try to give it a whirl! Thanks
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Postby Hatchetman » Sep Wed 16, 2020 6:54 pm

been fishing DPR between fullerton and lake over the past couple months. haven't caught anything. spinnerbait, chatterbait, jerkbait, soft lures, wacky rig, you name it. if you have any success let me know how its done.
Hatchetman

Postby Rambler » Sep Wed 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Hatchetman: next time you're out try the stretch south of Chicago. If the water's low go to the head of the island & walk over. Do not wade in bare feet. Walk along the west side of the island throwing buzzbaits. Go all the way to the foot of the island.

Used to fish there regularly. Moved recently & miss it already.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DPMike » Sep Wed 16, 2020 7:40 pm

Would Thatcher Glen Pond be almost like a backwater?
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Sep Thu 17, 2020 5:53 am

Not 'almost' - is. Great fishing if you like bullheads.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Hatchetman » Sep Thu 17, 2020 7:45 pm

Rambler wrote:Hatchetman: next time you're out try the stretch south of Chicago. If the water's low go to the head of the island & walk over. Do not wade in bare feet. Walk along the west side of the island throwing buzzbaits. Go all the way to the foot of the island.

Used to fish there regularly. Moved recently & miss it already.

OK, I'll give it a go there. mostly just scare deer is all the excitement.
Hatchetman

Postby DPMike » Sep Fri 18, 2020 7:34 pm

Pike 9-18.jpg
Fished from 3:30 to 5:00 PM. Saw a pike go into the culvert but couldn't get a rise out of him. Tough to cast very far in there though, water is only down about half a foot from being filled to the top.

I walked the North side of the bridge and fished all the laydowns for about 1/4 mile. Very fishy looking area with plenty of slack water areas.

Threw a mostly white Walmart spinner and was able to get this little guy to come out and play. He came from one of the least fishy looking of the laydowns-LOL

I will be going back there, it looks pretty interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Postby Peter Piper » Sep Sat 19, 2020 8:08 am

Stay away, there’s no fish there..........the drain pipe is great if you get there first. Directly out from there is usually full of log jam etc. throw spinners just past, work the current and usually a pike pops out. West side is really good and the east side is great but creep up, they are usually along the bank. Just before the big mound along the East bank Side held a mixed bag a few times,! Get em and please show me the pics....I miss fishing that area.
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby joetrain » Sep Sat 19, 2020 8:48 am

Peter Piper wrote:Stay away, there’s no fish there..........the drain pipe is great if you get there first. Directly out from there is usually full of log jam etc. throw spinners just past, work the current and usually a pike pops out. West side is really good and the east side is great but creep up, they are usually along the bank. Just before the big mound along the East bank Side held a mixed bag a few times,! Get em and please show me the pics....I miss fishing that area.

Good info. I might add that any drain pipe on that river is worth a look. Especially if water is flowing. There are 2 big ones by the outside bend across from the Dunkin Donuts on River Rd. in Deplanes. Caught some good ones out of em.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DPMike » Sep Sat 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Hit DPR in Park Ridge this morning, nada. Ran into another fisherman and he's aid it's been slow there for a couple of weeks. I did find (New to me anyway) a back water to the North of the river. Looked great but quite shallow, saw bait fish but no bites.
Went to Lions after that and got 2 smallish bass. Moved to a nearby spot for a couple of more cast before lunch. That's when it finally happened. Standing still, my footing gave way and I fell onto my right hip and in slow motion slid down the clay bank and wound up on my side in the drink up to my knees. What a mess. Had to sit on a garbage bag for the ride home, didn't dare stop at Rand Red Hots until I showered-LOL

That wet clay is like walking on wet ice.
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Postby jonny2can » Sep Sat 19, 2020 9:10 pm

I fell hard on some wet shoreline earlier this year and bruised my hand pretty bad trying to break the fall.. got a dunk in the water too.. I used a old sweater in my car instead of a trash bag for the ride home lol
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Sun 20, 2020 9:13 am

The part about not wanting to go to Rand Red Hots till showered is classic stuff. Keep at it on the dpr mike and you will become more shameless like Skifish who goes for a burrito after every outing. Usually while still wearing his muddy fish slimed waders. I as well occasionally feel sorry for the people in line behind me at walgreens while I track mud through the entire store. Maybe not the entire store, but definitely the ice cream section.

Spots at Lawrence I always work over throughly. (In red)

20200920_090848.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby DPMike » Sep Sun 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Good info Aux, thanks.

Will revisit, Tuesday after work.
Subdivision Pond Slayer
DPMike
Game Fish

Return to Des Plaines River