Lake County report

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

Lake County report

Postby ccorso » Nov Sat 21, 2020 12:05 pm

With more free time than normal and little else to do, I have spent more time fishing the DPR in 2020 than any other year. I've fished my usual hotspots and tried new stretches of water. From Wadsworth to Romeoville and (almost) everything in between. Unfortunately, I have very little to show for it. I never could figure out any pattern with these river fish. If I was lucky enough to not get skunked, I would end up with just one or two snaky pike or a dink bass.

My luck turned around yesterday when I was able to hook into this 28" on an orange square bill in Lake county. She was tucked in tight to a fallen log right on the shoreline. The 30+" pike continue to evade me this year (as they did in 2019), but I certainly won't stop trying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ccorso
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Lake County report

Postby joetrain » Nov Sat 21, 2020 4:28 pm

That’s a good one. Way to hang in there. It took me a while to crack the 30 inch mark but once I did it seemed like I was getting them somewhat regularly. Probably due to more time on the water than anything else.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ganz1960 » Nov Sat 21, 2020 5:04 pm

Awesome. Nice looking fish. Jealous you caught one that big.

I haven't fished the DPR in a couple years. I'm stuck to the shore or wading. I found the DPR (at least the northern sections) to be difficult for me as a shore bound or wading angler. Too muddy. Lots of sinking involved.

But my friend and I did manage a couple of halfway decent pike there over the years. Here's my favorite photo from the DPR, taken during the summer of 2017.

pike1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby cyanatic » Nov Sun 22, 2020 12:30 am

That's a nice pike in my book! Way to stick with it! I think I need to expand my range of the river, but I keep gravitating toward one section because it keeps producing. Ganz photo reminds me, I need to think about investing in waders.
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Sun 22, 2020 4:40 am

Haven't fished in 2 weeks. I needed to see a report like this, thanks for sharing.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Sun 22, 2020 12:16 pm

That's a great fish any time of year but for some reason, coldwater fish seem more satisfying to me.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Nov Tue 24, 2020 3:43 pm

way to go!
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to Des Plaines River