DPR, Friday 11/20/20

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

DPR, Friday 11/20/20

Postby cyanatic » Nov Sat 21, 2020 12:31 pm

I took the day off from work yesterday to head over to the DPR. I've been itching to get back there. I have made a few trips there, but one time the river was really high following those storms a few weeks ago. Went back again and the river had gone back down, but I got skunked. Went back a third time the very next day, but it was a Sunday, unseasonably warm, late in the afternoon, and the parking lot I use was closed due to reaching Covid capacity. Drove to another lot further north that has river access, but there wasn't much slack water on my side of the river. There was a laydown across from me and I tried to cast to the section downstream of it. But I couldn't keep my presentation in that area for very long. I tried casting closer to the laydown, heaved my buzzbait, wind caught it, and it landed right on the fallen tree trunk. You can guess the rest. Another black Booyah buzzbait sacrificed to the DP River gods.

So I decided to try and end my DPR skunk streak yesterday and got there about 9:30. I had a Panther Martin on my light rod, and I tied on a KVD buzzbait with a trailer hook on my medium rod. The wind had been howling on Thursday night, but it was pretty calm, with a few occasional 5-6 mph gusts when I got there on Friday. I probably made about 11 or 12 casts to different sections before a Northern finally smashed the buzzbait. He measured a solid 24" and it was the trailer hook that got him.

I tried the buzzbait some more but couldn't raise anything. I switched to the Panther Martin, no go. Went back to the medium rod and tried a shallow diving shad rap and then a spinnerbait, but got nothing else with those either. I walked upriver a ways to see if I could find any other likely spots but didn't get anything other than river mud on my boots. It was still a beautiful mild day and it's nice to catch fish this late into the year.

ImageDPR Northern Pike buzzbait 11-20-20 by Steve, on Flickr

ImageDPR Northern Pike 11-20-20 by Steve, on Flickr
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Re: DPR, Friday 11/20/20

Postby Rambler » Nov Sat 21, 2020 3:15 pm

Nice going Steve. I took a walk along the river this AM & it's way down down this way.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Sun 22, 2020 4:47 am

Scratched that off pretty nicely. Not bad for late November.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Sun 22, 2020 12:14 pm

A well earned prize and great story to go with it.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Nov Tue 24, 2020 3:39 pm

Nicely done.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to Des Plaines River