Switch to mobile site

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the DPR!

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the DPR!

Postby cyanatic » Dec Sat 26, 2020 3:14 pm

December has not been a very productive month for me (November, on the other hand, was not bad.) I took advantage of having to use up some 2020 vacation days and made 3 or 4 trips to the DPR this December. Either the water was high and murky, or lower but windy and still down to maybe 1 foot of visibility. I never seem to do well under those conditions. Lower water and higher visibility always work better for me. Even tried darker lures, rattling spinners, chatterbaits, etc., but nothing seems to work. On my last outing during that one warmer day (12/23) I used a #4 Panther Martin that has worked for me in the past. What looked like a smaller hammer handle made a lunge at it in the shallows near the bank but I couldn't get him to hit again. But for someone whose fishing season used to pretty much end in September, it was still great to get out there.

Here's wishing everyone here a Merry Christmas (a day late, oh well) and a great New Year!

ImageDecember on the DPR 2020 by Steve, on Flickr
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the DPR!

Postby joetrain » Dec Sat 26, 2020 3:29 pm

Merry Christmas Steve.
Sometimes if you throw a weightless fluke after a swing and a miss the pike might commit. Darting and pausing it could be productive.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cyanatic » Dec Sat 26, 2020 3:55 pm

joetrain wrote:Merry Christmas Steve.
Sometimes if you throw a weightless fluke after a swing and a miss the pike might commit. Darting and pausing it could be productive.

~JOE~

Ah! Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of that. Have a great New Year!
Good fishing,

Steve

-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Postby badger75 » Dec Thu 31, 2020 10:21 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Jan Fri 01, 2021 7:01 am

Happy holidays. I didn't fish at all by watercraft in December so it was kind of a bust for me as well. Got in a few quick after work shore outings recently with no success. Seen a ton of shad schooling. I have a feeling January will be better than December for well fed pike.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby cyanatic » Jan Wed 06, 2021 1:58 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Happy holidays. I didn't fish at all by watercraft in December so it was kind of a bust for me as well. Got in a few quick after work shore outings recently with no success. Seen a ton of shad schooling. I have a feeling January will be better than December for well fed pike.

Looking forward to January! Thanks to a work award gift card I just purchased a varied selection of inline spinners with pike in mind. Also picked up some Zoom flukes! Love your new Avatar btw, but it doesn't seem right without having Jeff Spicoli next to your name. :lol:
Good fishing,

Steve

-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Peter Piper » Jan Wed 13, 2021 8:49 pm

I did the area along the east bank by IG yesterday from 2 to 3 ish. It looked good, sun just above trees, clear water, high 30s and nobody around. Fish either. Spinners, inline and scissor, tiger j rap, shad rap. nothing. found some areas that looked to be deeper and below moving water. seams, trees and shit didnt do it either. they spawn soon right? then feedbag??
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Return to Des Plaines River