Changed riverscape and another skunk

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

Changed riverscape and another skunk

Postby cyanatic » Apr Tue 06, 2021 2:14 pm

Last Saturday was low 60's and partly sunny so I thought I'd give one of my favorite DPR spots a try. The water level was much lower than 3 or 4 weeks earlier and had a little more clarity, but I noticed that a laydown that I thought had been there for a few years was gone. I don't know how much it contributed to this being a productive location for a while, but I was sorry to see it gone. There had not been any heavy rains or snow melt since the last time I saw it in March so I'm not sure what happened. Despite throwing everything I could think of, from buzzbaits to shaky heads, squarebills, spinners, spinnerbaits, and flukes, I got nothing. It may still be a little too early yet, but I hope this spot will still produce later in the year. In summer, when the level was really low and the water was super clear, I could see bass, carp, and bluegill all over this area. Such is the unpredictability of nature, I guess.

[In the photos you can clearly see where the laydown was in the January photo. It was still like that in early March, but by April 2nd it was gone.]

ImageDPR in January by Steve, on Flickr

ImageDPR Glenview, laydown gone 4-3-21 by Steve, on Flickr
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Changed riverscape and another skunk

Postby joetrain » Apr Tue 06, 2021 3:53 pm

Rivers are always changing. Be that as it may I prefer river fishing over lakes any day.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Tue 06, 2021 6:13 pm

Can never step foot in the same river twice...
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Busse Jim » Apr Tue 06, 2021 6:22 pm

The laydown definitely added to the spot but it is a consistent spot more so because of everything to the left of your photo the turn, the tiny "deep" hole, the rip rap. That area in front of the missing laydown is still "deeper" than anywhere for a half mile either direction.

Besides, looks like the laydowns been replaced by a mallard, if it stays in place you should be good, cover is cover :lol:

The river has a way of placing great laydowns and taking them away.

Edit: my bad, after magnification, not a mallard, but the joke would have been good if it was :oops:
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Peter Piper » Apr Tue 06, 2021 7:53 pm

take the treck up north or whatever. now is the best access time for anywhere without having to fight it out with shit. keep hacking.
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby cyanatic » Apr Wed 07, 2021 10:56 am

Busse Jim wrote:The laydown definitely added to the spot but it is a consistent spot more so because of everything to the left of your photo the turn, the tiny "deep" hole, the rip rap. That area in front of the missing laydown is still "deeper" than anywhere for a half mile either direction.

Besides, looks like the laydowns been replaced by a mallard, if it stays in place you should be good, cover is cover :lol:

The river has a way of placing great laydowns and taking them away.

Edit: my bad, after magnification, not a mallard, but the joke would have been good if it was :oops:

:lol: It was still pretty funny, regardless

Peter Piper wrote:take the treck up north or whatever. now is the best access time for anywhere without having to fight it out with shit. keep hacking.
Good point! Once the summer growth kicks in there are some spots that will be difficult to get to.

Aix, I've heard that said about rivers. Makes it challenging but exciting at the same time. I'm inclined to agree with Joe, in that the heavily pressure lakes around here don't have the potential yield that an ever changing river might have. Looking forward to this spring and summer and exploring new spots. I've got a number of them marked out on Google Earth that people have suggested so I don't forget about them.
Good fishing,

Steve

-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Apr Wed 07, 2021 12:11 pm

Heraclitus, a Greek philosopher born in 544 B.C. said, “No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.”

Heraclitus, my friend, I know you’ve been gone
For two and a half thousand years but we are of one mind:
Sceptical, Seeking, Secular.
On a road through Physics and Mathematics
To a Singularity of belief
Foretold in the black hole of consciousness,
Redolent of those who strove for purity
And exclusivity in the monasteries of long ago.

- John Edward Marks
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Thu 08, 2021 8:03 pm

Easter morning, a few of these jokers, a couple of bass , along with one quillbass aka quillback. Those big gar, woof! They can pull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby cyanatic » Apr Fri 09, 2021 9:02 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Easter morning, a few of these jokers, a couple of bass , along with one quillbass aka quillback. Those big gar, woof! They can pull.

Wow! I always thought gar looked prehistoric. Some interesting species in the DPR. I had to look up quillback, I never even heard of them before.
Good fishing,

Steve

-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Apr Fri 09, 2021 11:15 am

I hooked a big gar last week. It really was a battle.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Apr Fri 09, 2021 12:13 pm

Rambler:
Are you trying to turn us into folks of "letters"?

I prefer being a man of "casts"

Agree - Gar can really fight. I don't target them - but do find a better hook up rate with treble hooks over single hook jigs
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Fri 09, 2021 3:42 pm

badger75 wrote:
Agree - Gar can really fight. I don't target them - but do find a better hook up rate with treble hooks over single hook jigs

Big facts. I also prefer a small treble, small vibrax was always great. Lately I like the blade bait for gar because I cast it a mile and they're really a chase and follow before attack kind of fish and the extra long casts make for more productive casts.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Apr Sat 10, 2021 12:51 pm

badger75 wrote:Rambler:
Are you trying to turn us into folks of "letters"?

I prefer being a man of "casts"

Well EXCUUUUSE MEEE for trying to raise the level of discourse around here. :lol:

BTW - I was too embarrassed last Thursday to point out the totally disorganized condition of my UL tackle bag - especially my spinners. You'll be happy to know I spent significant time today sorting things out. Also polished the blades on all spinners.

Now back to reading Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. :wink:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Des Plaines River