Opened the DPR season

From the south suburbs to the northwest suburbs, the Des Plaines River provides some excellent fishing opportunities.

Opened the DPR season

Postby Grain » Apr Tue 13, 2021 2:10 pm

Took my yak out for the first time this year. The water was high, higher than expected from reading the gauge, but that actually made paddling upstream easier. Water was murky and the current was a bit too fast to my liking. Predictably, I got skunked, unless a lure picked out of a tree counts. Still, I had a great day out there.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Opened the DPR season

Postby JasonN » Apr Tue 13, 2021 2:44 pm

I've never been a big fan of fishing the DPR this early in the season. Others may have had better results, but I always find the water way too murky and the action way too slow.
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby Grain » Apr Tue 13, 2021 4:57 pm

I don't disagree, but it was a great day to spend some time on the water, especially considering that the rest of the week will be a bit chilly.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Tue 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Them lures are still easy pickings before the leaves come in. Pike fishing is just plain bad during early spring on the dpr no doubt.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Grain » Apr Tue 13, 2021 9:17 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:Pike fishing is just plain bad during early spring on the dpr no doubt.

That's why I called it a bass outing.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Peter Piper » Apr Sat 17, 2021 7:44 pm

No pike, not many bass to speak of. All catches in the afternoon. Water looks pretty good up here. I have a chance to go to independence, river as well by there, anybody been lately?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Sun 18, 2021 4:50 am

Outstanding. I was trying to convince Skifish and fishdank about the largemouth being pretty good this weekend. They rolled their eyes as always.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Spincastguy » Apr Sat 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Peter Piper wrote:No pike, not many bass to speak of. All catches in the afternoon. Water looks pretty good up here. I have a chance to go to independence, river as well by there, anybody been lately?
Bice bass
Spincastguy
Minnow

Postby Peter Piper » Apr Sun 25, 2021 8:20 pm

I got nothing at Independence. Threw a fair bit. Went by a trusty river spot after the snow Wednesday and got this on a white fluke tied on, expecting bass, lucky me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Return to Des Plaines River