Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Spending time on the rivier

941 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Grain 
#1 ·
Had a couple of really nice long outings over the past two weeks. Much of it was about just getting out of the house, paddling and exploring new areas - did a 5 mile upstream paddle on one of the days. The water levels are low, but the river is still navigable. Water clarity changes a lot of from spot to spot, depending on the bottom I guess. Lots of vegetation. Did not see a single person fishing or kayaking on either day, plenty of wildlife though. Fishing is pretty decent - I am now hitting pike at a good clip, and I imagine if I did not throw bass lures (to no avail) it would have been even better. Nothing huge, the largest one was 27", I am still looking for that 30"+ fish. Last time out hit something that went across the river, then turned around and swam upstream, all the while taking line as if the drag was off, then it got off the hook. Probably snagged a carp - tons of them in the water. Ospreys should take better care of business.

PS. My rod is now about 2" shorter and features two reattached guides. Because I am stupid.

#2 ·
That 30 incher will come. It took me a few years to catch one then it seems like I caught one every few outings.

A summertime fight is hard on a pike. It's best to leave them be or at least get them in and leave them in the water while you get the hooks out. Another reason for barbless and single hook lures.

Send me a pm and I can give you some intel on a few areas.

~JOE~

#3 ·
joetrain said:
A summertime fight is hard on a pike. It's best to leave them be
~JOE~
I am actually trying to figure summer bass in there, but I am coming to the conclusion that reaction lures just don't work right now. I mean I saw this small group of bass hanging out in one spot, paddled away some and tried to drag chatterbait through there. Got a pike instead. I feel like leaving baitcaster at home next time and taking spinning gear, senkos, and a bunch of spare hooks.

#4 ·
I was on the river yesterday for a few hours, from about noon to 2:30. Did well on bass using a small gold spinner. Most fish were smallish (around 10") but managed a decent 14 and 16 incher. Bro also caught a 19" channel cat, on a rapala body spinner, as well.
Majority of fish came from a "deep," mid-river channel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.