Prepping for spring

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

Prepping for spring

Postby Jwalker » Dec Sun 27, 2020 6:32 pm

The family joined me on a walk from Veterans Park to below Pioneer Park. A little icy but without all the leaves and flowers I had a better vision of the river. My question is the river from Veterans Park to the Pioneer Park bridge is a straight shot and doesn’t appear to have any depth or any structure. Anybody out there to offer their two cents? Below the bridge there seems to be a lot more structure but shallow. Thoughts are encouraged and welcomed by this fly fisher transplant

Thanks
Jim Walker
Jwalker

Re: Prepping for spring

Postby jonny2can » Dec Sun 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Fish south of the pioneer park foot bridge.. I waded a ways down from there a year ago and there is a lot of depth and structure. Recall running into a nice overfill drain that looked like a sweet spot but I was only in my sneakers and shorts and couldn't get close enough with the water getting deeper.
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Dec Tue 29, 2020 3:06 pm

I don't know that stretch of the Dupe. But I like your "Prepping for spring" thoughts...

I hit the old Winfield dam site more than anywhere else. I've run into several fly guys there - they all seem to have good luck. Ran into a guy from Scotland there a year or so ago. He said the Dupe is the closest thing he knows around here to fly fishing in Scotland. :shock:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Dec Tue 29, 2020 11:14 pm

jonny is right, start at Pioneer and move downstream. Very rocky so move slowly, and some long shallow stretches. But there are some nice holes and runs, the stretch sees little traffic, and there are fish there.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Jwalker » Dec Wed 30, 2020 8:06 pm

Thanks to all who have given me an idea on how to tackle the WBDuR. It’s so unusual to find great fishing 20 minutes from where we live. Our primary residence is a suburb in St. Louis County but comparable fishing is probably an hour away. The winter weather in Missouri is not only conducive to golf (occasionally) but also fishing. I’ve got a few days marked on the calendar for fly fishing for trout on some of our spring fed streams. Don’t be shy - if you have more thoughts about WBDuR I’m ready to listen.

Jim Walker
Jwalker

Postby ScubaSteve » Jan Sat 09, 2021 10:05 pm

The dupage is tough in the winter. Up in that area north of Hobson is pretty solid.
ScubaSteve
Pan Fish

Return to DuPage River