Thanks Woo!

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

Thanks Woo!

Postby grems » Jun Fri 11, 2021 1:18 pm

Woohoodude posted about recent success on Whopper Ploppers fishing in my backyard on the West Branch. I was taking a break because of the low water and massive weeds making it almost impossible to fish. But I hadn't tried topwater baits yet.

I don't own any Whoppers, in fact I don't think I own any lure that cost over $5 in spite of many hundreds of dollars of tackle I've accumulated over the years. But I have a few various topwater baits, so inspired by Woo I hit the River Walk after work with something called a Midge Oreno in frog color tied on, plus some others I never ended up trying.

Caught my first dink in about 5 minutes, launched itself out of the water several times, what fun! Over the next 90 minutes ended up landing 7 with the biggest only 13" so nothing photo worthy. Some hit on upstream and some on downstream casts, missed several too but so cool to see the splash when they hit. I used to fish topwater more often as a kid but it's been years, forgot how fun it can be, even with dinks.
grems
Game Fish

Re: Thanks Woo!

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Fri 11, 2021 4:29 pm

Ayyy glad to hear you tore it up. I'll be back Monday (probably)
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby grems » Jun Sat 19, 2021 11:54 am

Woo, did you make it back? Weekdays are tough for me but I got out again yesterday after work. River is maybe a little bit cleared out of moss islands but still as low and clear as ever so I stuck with top water. Missed my first four before connecting, ended up with five nothing huge but one was 12" and last one was 14" and fought like he was way bigger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grems
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jun Sat 19, 2021 12:49 pm

Top waters rule! Hope you're trying buzzbaits. There's a partially true myth they don't work in moving water but they can be effective in eddies & flat areas.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Mon 21, 2021 6:52 pm

I did make it last Monday, usual suspects worked. Eel grass was thinned out but was on top of the water down stream. Nothing noteworthy smallie-wise except got my record smallest smallie and probably a PB rock bass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby grems » Jun Tue 22, 2021 12:53 pm

Lol those baby smallies will hit just about anything!

Bummed I have to work late tonight, would love to see the effects of Sunday’s storms on flow and debris.
grems
Game Fish

Return to DuPage River