McDowell

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

McDowell

Postby mike son » Apr Sun 08, 2018 10:22 am

Anyone know if they finished building the new bridge? I need to get out that way sooner than later.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Re: McDowell

Postby grems » Apr Sun 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Jogged through there this morning, not open to vehicle traffic yet but construction looks complete, don't know when they plan to open it officially.
grems
Game Fish

Postby mike son » Apr Mon 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks for the update germs.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby jonny2can » Apr Thu 12, 2018 5:57 am

If you get out there mike can you post some pics of new bridge and river.. curious how it looks.. thanks
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby mike son » Apr Thu 12, 2018 8:26 pm

jonny2can wrote:If you get out there mike can you post some pics of new bridge and river.. curious how it looks.. thanks

Will do. Unfortunately that might be later than expected. At the time of my original post the weather was supposed to be nice this weekend and I was going to hit a few spots north and south of McDowell. Now the weather is crap and even for quick outing after work that Dupe is a hike for me. Damn weather!

I know the new bridge is not going to have supports in the water as there is concern of debris build up that plagued the old bridge. I remember seeing some renderings and they were going to widen it to two lanes and add a pedestrian lane. Will be a good spot to fish, they probably added more rock to deter erosion, it was already relatively deep there, and of course shade it will provide.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Apr Sun 15, 2018 6:26 am

Passed by McDowell yesterday. Still closed. Nice, new bridge - 2 lanes. Stopped at the Mack Rd canoe launch later on. There's a sign on the river that says watercraft can't get past McDowell due to bridge construction.

Out of curiosity I checked the DP cty FP website - no mention of the bridge or when it will be done.

I didn't have any gear with me so no fishing. Just as well - beautiful day if you're duck. Actually, a solitary Mallard paddled by & even he didn't look too happy with the raw weather.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby grems » Apr Sat 28, 2018 11:53 am

bridge.jpg

Here's how it looks this morning, looks pretty well finished, but still closed to traffic.

I was surprised by all the deer track in the mud by the water where I took this photo, never seen one around here before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grems
Game Fish

Postby mike son » Apr Mon 30, 2018 9:19 pm

Just saw this, thanks for the pics Grems. Looks nice. I was fishing in that area once when a deer ran down the hill and in like three leaps traversed the river right behind me. Scared the crap out of me. He must have ran across Raymond thru traffic, expected another or two but he was alone.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby jonny2can » May Wed 02, 2018 8:40 pm

Cool.. thanks for the pic.. the area you took pic from is usually covered in brush.. looks like they did a lot of removal
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby grems » May Tue 29, 2018 9:39 pm

McDowell is officially open now, all construction equipment and fencing cleared out, looked really nice this weekend.

River was still too high for my liking, fished Mud lake instead and caught a couple 12" largemouth. Should have taken a picture of two panfish that looked like a cross of white perch and hybrid striper, spiny critters with broken lateral stripes, never seen them before.
grems
Game Fish

Postby HEDDONFROG » May Wed 30, 2018 2:36 am

grems wrote:Should have taken a picture of two panfish that looked like a cross of white perch and hybrid striper, spiny critters with broken lateral stripes, never seen them before.

Your excellent description immediately made me think yellow bass. Is this it? They’re voracious little suckers that run in packs. Quite tasty as well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby grems » May Wed 30, 2018 1:20 pm

Bingo! That's them, thanks for the ID, good to know what they are and that they're edible.

Mine were a similar size, and very skinny so I'd need quite a few for a meal.
grems
Game Fish

Return to DuPage River