East Branch Onesy

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

East Branch Onesy

Postby Rambler » Sep Wed 04, 2019 6:54 am

Went out to Hidden Lakes after the storms yesterday. Thought I'd fish the lake considering the river might be blown out. But when I got there I didn't feel like fighting the tall grass & weeds surrounding the lake not to mention the weeds in the lake so I tried the river.

Went just below the bridge and threw a white Keitech. Caught a nice smallie on the 4th or 5th cast. Great fighter. Nothing else so I moved downstream to another spot. No takers so after a while I decided to head up to Churchill Woods.

When I got there it started raining. Tried to sit it out on a picnic table under some trees. Checked the radar on my phone & the only place it was raining was where I was. Some days make you wonder...

Gave up and headed home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: East Branch Onesy

Postby jonny2can » Sep Wed 04, 2019 7:13 am

Nice catch.. I try that section every time I pass it on my way to the back lake and never seen a smallie that size in that section! Good to see!
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby urbanHog312 » Sep Wed 04, 2019 9:46 am

nice one rambler. avoid that tall grass unless you want chiggers like im currently dealing with. :(
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Sep Wed 04, 2019 10:06 am

Good looking smallie. Strong winds yesterday had me avoiding the trees
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » Sep Wed 04, 2019 10:07 am

That's the right color bass to catch if you only can have one.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Sep Wed 04, 2019 12:25 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:nice one rambler. avoid that tall grass unless you want chiggers like im currently dealing with. :(

Not fun. Have you tried spraying Benadryl on the bites?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Sep Wed 04, 2019 2:32 pm

yep. as soon as i got itchy i sprayed it with bene. i think that did wonders for the initial damage control. now its just steady, thick doses of hydrocortisone. ive had them before but this time the size of the yellow puss filled blisters are remarkable. well, tree stands are done at least! bring on october!
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jonny2can » Sep Wed 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Tried that section today.. got me motivated to spend time there. Caught a bullhead on a senko oddly. Three large mouth and a nice smallie 30 minutes after sunset. Could barely see to take a pic. Walked the entire river dirt trail till it turned into tiny branch hell 20 feet from the main trail. It took a lot of cussing and branch breaking to get out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Postby HEDDONFROG » Sep Wed 04, 2019 11:14 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:yep. as soon as i got itchy i sprayed it with bene. i think that did wonders for the initial damage control. now its just steady, thick doses of hydrocortisone. ive had them before but this time the size of the yellow puss filled blisters are remarkable

T.M.I luckily I’ve only gotten 2 chigger bites this year and I have been scampering through some head high grasses and wild flowers.

Killer looking fish Scott. I too had a one and done yesterday. Some days are like that
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to DuPage River