Cold water Dupage

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

Cold water Dupage

Postby ScubaSteve » Nov Sat 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Hey all. How's everybody doing? Still catching fish on the Dupage? Anybody care to share some good winter techniques?

My last couple outings have been pretty rough. Been trying the presentations that did alright last year, but not much to show for it.
ScubaSteve
Pan Fish

Re: Cold water Dupage

Postby mike son » Nov Sun 17, 2019 10:35 am

I drifted an 1/8th oz texas rigged small tube and got one decent one yesterday. Either drifted straight downstream or quarter cast up stream. Let the current do the work. I think the right type of spot is most important. Rocky, relatively deep, and slow current going thru it. The bites I got and fish landed came on the shallower slow part of these locations near shore in 1-1.5' of water. Read older jmdog posts, he fishes all winter.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Sun 17, 2019 12:30 pm

Brutally slow retrieves picked me up some largemouths on Saturday morning. And when I mean slow, I mean slowwwww. I don't think I've ever had to slow my retrieve that much, and I've fished quite a bit in recent winters. I'm talking like 5 minutes to finish reeling up. Water was maybe 4'-5' deep and completely out of the current.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ScubaSteve » Nov Sun 17, 2019 2:22 pm

JM you do quite a bit of east branch fishing right? Any differences between the two this time of year?

I also tried some 1/8th oz plastics and had nothing to show for if. Maybe its a confidence thing but i dont understand throwing a jerkbait in the dupage either. Its either too much current, or the bait goes too low.

How about hair jigs/float and fly?
ScubaSteve
Pan Fish

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Sun 17, 2019 5:39 pm

I've never had much luck with a jerkbait, but then I've never really committed to it. It actually may have worked in the spot I fished yesterday. I have had some success on the float n fly in long, slow eddies, the kind that form sometimes on outside bends. There is actually a spot I'd like to try it that I found this summer. But for the most part my luck with that rig has been sub optimal. When all is said and done, I pretty much have settled on 1/32nd - 1/16th oz jigs with 2 1/2" - 4" Gulp minnows after late October, depending on conditions and fish mood.

As for how the river fishes. I have found that the same general areas that produce in the warm months also produce in the cold months. Just find the deepest, slowest water adjacent to the areas you normally fish in the summer and start there. It may be 10 yards away from where you caught fish when temps were at their highest, it may be 50 or more yards. Fish will occupy areas that provide the most of what they need with the shortest travel distance. That is a constant all year. That's the type of water you should focus on 90% of the time, although fish will move to more traditional feeding slots and actually chase a bit in certain conditions. Confidence is more crucial than any other time of year. You can luck into fish far more often from spring through fall. But in the winter, you really need to trust your feel and abilities. When you contact a fish, bookmark that spot. A winter hole is a winter hole year after year. You get two or three reliable winter holes and you'll be set until April.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to DuPage River