Saturday report

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

Saturday report

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Sun 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Got out for maybe 4 1/2 hours on Saturday morning. Only tried a couple of spots and bailed on the first pretty quickly because I wasn't feeling it there. Started the second spot off by settling on a hole that was buried behind an inside bend and completely out of current. A lot has changed since I was last out maybe 3 weeks ago. Temps are downright frigid, mid-winter already. The successful set up was on the extreme end of light and small for me. I was tossing a 1/32nd oz jig with a small hook married to a 2 1/2" Gulp minnow, successful color was black/white. Tied onto dental-floss thin 5 lb PowerPro braid with a light spinning reel and 6' 9" extra fast medium light jigging rod. The light gear and longer spinning set up facilitated long casts to the good water. Anything within 15 feet in front of me was dead water.

20191116_102712.jpg

20191116_083823.jpg

20191116_100952.jpg

I was caught between relocating and sticking to my guns and staying at that spot. It's obviously a question any time of year, but is really an important issue in cold-water fishing. A successful decision can make or break an entire outing. Sometimes you need to suck it up and stick with what you're doing while trusting instinct. Doesn't always work out. I made the decision to move to a downstream hole at some point and got 3 bites in the first 5 minutes. Lost the last and biggest fish. Thought I made the right decision by moving and then didn't get another sniff the last hour and a half I was out.

20191116_090436.jpg

I would describe the mood of the fish as borderline deceased. Out of maybe a dozen fish contacted with 7 or 8 landed, I didn't feel a single bite. There would just be weight there all of a sudden. They all had bellies though. Would go long stretches without any action at all. Didn't get anything but largemouth. I know the smallies and rock bass are there somewhere. Ice sheets everywhere until the sun came up a bit and the breeze broke it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Saturday report

Postby joetrain » Nov Sun 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Good report. You made me laugh with the “border line deceased” description.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Sun 17, 2019 4:59 pm

That's an extra light set up for some stubborn bass. Looks like you warmed them up enough to eat it. Some nice ones in the lot especially that last pic.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby HEDDONFROG » Nov Mon 18, 2019 2:22 am

Some real nice ones JDog. Incredible patience to get your bites. Way more than I have lol Idk if you know Noel Pelez but he did pretty good with smallies Sunday on the main branch. Said he was throwing a drop shot and Dark Sleeper in similar areas. No idea what bait on the drop shot, weight size or lb test he was using...hence why I’m not a fan of social media posts but he did mention technique and water type.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Nov Mon 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Great fishing report. It's always interesting and valuable to read of a drastic difference required to stay on cold water fish. Sounds like an ice fishing presentation you have going on there with the light line and lures. Nice work.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Nov Mon 18, 2019 1:23 pm

Nice outing! Makes winter feel shorter. Me no patience for slow technique unless a bobber is involved
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Nov Mon 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Excellent stuff JM.
Im with you on downsizing baits for sluggish fish , too! In the last year, particularly, Ive had several lackluster outings salvaged by switching to a UL presentation when they were not responsive to more traditionally-sized baits.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby jonny2can » Nov Tue 19, 2019 3:47 am

Thanks for report. Line break or did the biggest spit out the hook?
jonny2can
Fishing Fanatic

Return to DuPage River