Football Sunday - 02/02/2020

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

Football Sunday - 02/02/2020

Postby mike son » Feb Mon 03, 2020 10:20 pm

Fished the east and west branch on Sunday. Bolingbrook - ~144cf/s and Warrenville - ~166cf/s iirc. Rising from the snow melt. Clarity better than expected on both rivers. Still rolled with bright white texas rigged fluke on an 1/8oz texas rig and 1/4oz shakeyhead. Blanked on my east branch spots as I'm still exploring it. The spots I've found seem like they should hold fish this time of year but I got no bites until I got a half mile upstream. Blanked on the west branch too in familiar spots that seem like they'd be nice wintering holes but have yet to produce. A straight grind for sure haha. Still trying to figure out this whole winter fishing thing closer to home. I'm a pussy though, it has to be 40+ degrees and good flow conditions for me to consider getting on the water lol.

First and only fish came off a lay down with the main current off the end of it. I casted well upstream of it hugging the cut shoreline and about 8' upstream of the log I got thumped. Thought, damn that sure did feel like a bite and set the hook like three seconds later. Wasn't expecting it there and haven't fished in over month. Knocking the rust off. Decent fish to start the year.

Missed two consecutive hooksets in a textbook pool with a large eddy on one side. Big boulder at the head in the slack. Cast up there in the slack and just get pulled before my bait hit bottom. Fish let go before I could even swing. Fire right back in, and just suck it up with swing and a miss. Hurts when the bites are scarce. Fished the pool a little longer without a sniff, must have been just one fish home who wouldn't give me a third chance, third times the charm yadda yadda yadda. Oddly, all bites were easily discernible, I'd have expected weaker bites considering the water temp and time of year, got to believe the sunshine played a role in that.

Tried the west branch spot and no bites at all. Fished relatively deep, up to 5'-6', extremely rocky areas with slow moving current.

Did see this guy way downstream. Thought it was a pelican.

Then it got closer, and there were two

Then I thought I'd be getting attacked

Too close for comfort when you're thigh deep on a narrow river.

Don't worry, I lived to write this excessively long report. If you've made it this far you'll know I didn't get killed by these mammal made widow makers either. The 30mph winds would have knocked these down right onto me at my fishing spot. I soon stumbled upstream evading yet again these suburban dangers.

mike son
Fishing Czar

Re: Football Sunday - 02/02/2020

Postby RonG » Feb Mon 03, 2020 10:24 pm

Nicer tail than J-Lo or Shakira
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby mike son » Feb Mon 03, 2020 10:32 pm

Ha my friends and I were team Shakira, can't believe she is 43
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Tue 04, 2020 3:31 am

Mike those swans are probably the off spring of the alpha pair on X. Most the Dupage river swans are
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Feb Tue 04, 2020 10:52 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:Mike those swans are probably the off spring of the alpha pair on X. Most the Dupage river swans are

hm interesting!

Those widowmakers are something else. Was just watching a logging video last night where someone got crushed by one.
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Feb Tue 04, 2020 11:12 am

shes got a purty mouth alright. nice job mike. looking forward to getting wet with you again this year.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jmdog2003 » Feb Tue 04, 2020 8:07 pm

She sure is gorgeous, especially this time of year.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to DuPage River