Tips for new to region fisherman

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

Tips for new to region fisherman

Postby Nathan » Apr Sun 05, 2020 8:00 am

Hello all,I've recently relocated from shelbyville, il. and I'm a devout fisherman. I'm in elk grove now,and I have some minor opportunities around here,but since I have not lived up here since 2000,I would appreciate decent places to catch a few,from bank or kayak.im a catch and release man so I'm not out to rape anyone's honey hole.ive done ok on salt creek and enjoy the challenge but would appreciate any help my fellow anglers would be willing to share,as I will do the same.thanks and tight lines!
Nathan

Re: Tips for new to region fisherman

Postby joetrain » Apr Sun 05, 2020 8:05 am

Welcome. Tons of places. May be restricted right now but when things get back to normal try Busse. It’s right in your back yard. One of your best options is to search this site for past reports. There is a wealth of info here.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Nathan » Apr Sun 05, 2020 9:11 am

Thank you joe! Is there a particular stretch of the dupage you could suggest, as I've never fished it.maybe a town or landmark? A dam? I'm totally oblivious to it!
Nathan

Postby joetrain » Apr Sun 05, 2020 9:42 am

I only fished it twice. I launched my yak at a public park district ramp in Plainfield. I think it was on 135th st. That’s all I got.
~JOE~

Dropped pin
Near Plainfield, IL 60544
https://goo.gl/maps/LFFxcgpF2dY6uys28

I bet if you went here Dropped pin
Near Plainfield Barn, Unnamed Road, Plainfield, IL 60586
https://goo.gl/maps/B8ddWpzux5yDmZVXA and parked and took a bike or walked that trail you would find a lot of shore spots.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Sun 05, 2020 11:57 am

Welcome to the area & welcome to WCF.

Joe's right - Busse's in your backyard. If you have a yak you owe it to yourself to explore it.

As for the Dupe your best friend is google maps. But if I were you I'd start with the west branch. You can put in easily at Mack Rd just east of Rte 59 & paddle down to McDowell Grove - if you're got someone to pick you up. Or you can put in, paddle upstream & fish your way back.

On the other hand you can hope jmdog chimes in since he's the Dupe guru.

Good luck & have fun. BTW - what brought you to Chicago - woman or job?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Apr Sun 05, 2020 12:06 pm

Welcome!

I third the idea that Busse is your spot for being being so close. Lots of possibility for both shore and kayak.

Nathan wrote:so I'm not out to rape anyone's honey hole.

That sounds so bad. Pillage is the correct word.

Lake Michigan is not a far drive on the expressway once the mayor unbans the lakefront. Perch will be popping soon and cohos are south and will soon be traveling north along the shoreline.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Apr Sun 05, 2020 5:12 pm

And let's not forget the DPR & Skokie Lagoons. DPR for pike, 'goons for bass. Both are an easy drive from EGV.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Nathan » Apr Sun 05, 2020 9:22 pm

Thanks alot for all the advice and the welcomes.i lived in Chicago til I was 30,relocated to shelbyville, il. In 2000.we lived there for 18 years until I lost my job.we figured it was a good time to move home.when I figure out how to post pictures on here I'll share my fishing career from down there.i fished in itasca the last few days and caught alot of big carp and a 10lb and 3 lb channel cat,so I guess I'm falling right back in! Salt creek is alot of work,but there are good fish in there.i fished in the 90s at Skokie lagoons when it was really good and a little lake Michigan perching,but it seems alot has changed. Thanks again for the warm welcome,and I'll hopefully see you all on the water!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nathan

Postby jmdog2003 » May Sun 03, 2020 11:55 am

Hmm missed this one. For stretches of the Dupe it depends on if you want to fish east branch, west branch, or main stem, as they all fish differently. The east branch is slower, muddier, and generally deeper than the west branch, which has a lot of shallow riffles and the bottom is typically very rocky. The main stem has a bottom consisting largely of sand, smaller rocks, and shells. All hold targetable smallmouth populations. For the east branch, I've historically fished from Lisle on down to the confluence of the east and west branches, although I have tried as far north as Butterfield Rd. The farthest north on the west branch I've gone is I-88, and that only once. I rarely go north of Naperville and fish down to the confluence. The main stem I really just started to venture into maybe two years ago, and haven't gone farther south than around 135th. These stretches offer a ton of water to cover and fish are located throughout.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to DuPage River