Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Change in plans

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Skifish1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had some good luck catching retention pond largemouth visiting my daughter in Charleston SC last week, and hoped to continue the streak after getting home this weekend. On Sunday evening I headed out to the west branch, same spot where JMDog put me on fish my last time out, rigged to take advantage of high water conditions. Except the water was not very high! My high water hot spot was now just a shallow dead zone, and since I didn't bring waders I couldn't hit my usual wading spots. So I decided to explore some new stretches hoping to find a bite.

I got frustrated after losing some gear to hungry tree branches and almost called it quits, but decided to switch up my presentation to cover more shallow water territory. I wacky rigged a plain plastic crawler about a foot below a small float and cast it into the current, then slowly retrieved it in slack water near the bank ticking the bottom with the worm. I pulled hard when I saw my line hang on a bush, and saw a fish chase the worm as it popped out of the water, so I knew someone was home. Put it back in the same spot and this time connected with this 16" beauty that put up a great fight. Went back one more time and scored a bonus 8" rocky. Cheers to the lowly bobber!

Smallie 5-31-20.JPG

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.