Late Summer to mid-Fall

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

Late Summer to mid-Fall

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Sat 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Ok so I'd gotten lazy with posting photos, and fishing in general quite frankly. But I had been out sporadically, and had some pics in my phone that I'll get around to posting now since I'm on quarantine with nothing else to do. I didn't really wander far from home base this season. Covid and election fatigue maybe? Just a lot of bad mojo out there, and it kind of killed my enthusiasm not just for fishing, but for doing much of anything. When I got out, it was somewhat of a forced and half-hearted effort. And it showed in my results with a lot of inconsistency. But in some ways I was just relieved to be out moving around. This girl below came on a day that I encountered an honest to goodness first - I went swimming. Don't get me wrong, I fall and fill my waders multiple times each season. But about 20 minutes before I landed this fish, I had to drop my rod and go into a full on doggy paddle to keep from going under.

20200830_093336.jpg

When it happened I was crossing a spot on the east branch that I've waded a dozen other times and somehow managed to sidestep this hole. My lure was hung up in a tree which was the only way I got my rod back, or it would still be laying on the bottom of that hole. Sights on the river have been great whenever I've been out though. Spotted plenty of the river's predatory birds. Hawks, owls, and even an eagle in flight.

20200830_105914.jpg

I was standing on this spot when I heard a very, very faint crunch. Instinctively I took a large step back and I don't know what made me do it because the crunch didn't seem like anything too out of the ordinary. Two seconds after I planted my feet this entire chunk that I had been standing on collapsed into the river.

20200907_094651.jpg

20201007_075105.jpg

This young buck was acting a bit sheepish as I walked up but it didn't seem like it was because of me. When I glanced over to the left bank I saw why. A huge trophy buck and his harem were telling him not to cross to their side.

20201009_074119.jpg

20201005_075305.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Late Summer to mid-Fall

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Sat 21, 2020 8:43 pm

20201003_080201.jpg

Somebody had a really bad morning.

20201005_084956.jpg

20201007_085753.jpg

20201024_074454.jpg

Overhead shot of a nice funnel with holes on both sides.

20201103_163147.jpg

20201024_093435.jpg

A while back I realized that I never posted pics from last year's (2019) muskie trip. I may post those too at some point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Late Summer to mid-Fall

Postby ganz1960 » Nov Sat 21, 2020 9:30 pm

Awesome pics and report! Looking forward to pics from your 2019 muskie trip.

After reading about you going for a swim (and even falling and filling your waders multiple times each season), I feel a little better about the time I took a spill over the summer.

I was with my friend. We were wading on a familiar stretch of the Fox when I somehow stumbled and fell into the water on my back. I had gotten into the habit of putting my phone in a zippered pouch around my neck to keep it as far above wherever water may reach while wading.

As I fell with my back in the water, I started flailing. I wasn't concerned about saving my life. I wanted to save my phone! I was moving and shaking to try to keep the pouch above water. My friend said it appeared to him as if I was having a seizure. It was highly embarrassing…but at least my phone was unharmed!
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby mike son » Nov Sat 21, 2020 10:23 pm

Great pics! Sorry to hear you're in quarantine, hope you and the family stay well. That river giveth and taketh, gives up fat smallies and taketh your dry clothes :lol:.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby CBatt2 » Nov Sat 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Nice to see a jmdog post again! Very cool pic of the spiderwebs, and envy inducing bass, as usual.
CBatt2
Pan Fish

Postby RonG » Nov Sat 21, 2020 11:31 pm

Awesome!

I wish your wife and family the best.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby FishinMatt » Nov Sun 22, 2020 1:02 am

I feel you on having the downs. Just a messed up year. As always, fantastic fish. Hope the family gets well soon.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Sun 22, 2020 4:43 am

Stay positive. You will always know where to escape when needed. I laughed about the "full on doggy paddle"..
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Nov Sun 22, 2020 6:11 am

Good post, thanks.
I had a section of bank give way on me once. No warning it just collapsed. I was with my son and after the initial shock we looked at each other and started laughing.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Nov Sun 22, 2020 9:50 am

Nice post JMD, always good to see your posts. Yeah I think many are in a malaise.

Hope you all get well soon.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby grems » Nov Sun 22, 2020 1:18 pm

I guess that's why I was catching more than usual on the West Branch this year, JMDog wasn't out there ahead of me.

I took a step too far when I was fishing in a mountain lake in Wyoming this summer and water splashed over the top of my waders. I had my phone in my front jeans pocket but wasn't too worried, it didn't feel like a lot of water and the trout were starting to bite, so I stayed at it. When I got to shore later I could feel a little water sloshing around my feet, and was not happy to see how wet my jeans actually were, especially when I saw half of my phone screen going dark. Put it in rice in a ziplock to no avail, it was fried. But I caught a lot of nice brookies!

On the West Branch one evening about a month ago, I made an errant cast that hung up in the bushes next to me. I started pulling to free up my lure, shaking the branches, when a dark shadow came swooping in and I saw furry feet and claws splayed wide trying to grab my lure! It was a big owl that settled on the shore and we both stood there watching each other, not sure who was more surprised. I tried to get a photo but he took off just as I pointed my phone at him, flew into a tree and hooted at me for a long time.
grems
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Nov Sun 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Those are some mighty impressive outings you had dog!

grems wrote:I took a step too far when I was fishing in a mountain lake in Wyoming

Care to share the name of the lake or at least the range it's in? I backpacked up into the Bighorns in '76 & fished a couple of lakes up there.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ccorso » Nov Tue 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Nice looking river fish! Your "inconsistent" outings are still better than my consistent ones. For me personally, my fishing trips were a welcome reprieve from all the BS going on at the moment. Stay well!
ccorso
Fishing Fanatic

Postby badger75 » Nov Tue 24, 2020 4:10 pm

After taking a fall in the Fox in knee deep water (that rock just up and tripped me :oops: ), I donated a phone to the water. I now have a nice waterproof case which is attached to me by a carabiner. I also now use an old ski pole (AACB - Rambler) as a wading staff - really helps the balance (old man stuff), allows me to probe areas that are getting deep before taking a mis-step.

Nice post JMDog. Variety of colors on those SMB. Get well.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby grems » Nov Wed 25, 2020 11:23 am

Rambler, this was in Brooklyn Lake in the southeast corner of Wyoming, part of the Medicine Bow range.

I fished tributaries of the Little Bighorn as a kid, beautiful rainbows out of tiny streams, a special memory for me.
grems
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Nov Wed 25, 2020 1:07 pm

grems wrote:Rambler, this was in Brooklyn Lake in the southeast corner of Wyoming, part of the Medicine Bow range.

I LOVE Brooklyn Lake!!!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to DuPage River